Upgrading from base sound to harmon kardon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 c300
Upgrading from base sound to harmon kardon

I just purchased a 2013 ML 350.
Has anyone ever replaced the stock speaker system with the harmon kardon after it was purchased? I was hoping it would be prewired for the amp. Not sure if there are more speakers in the harmon kardon than base. Or if the stock system is even amplified. Anyone have any info? I have searched but don't come up with much. I found a listing with the harmon kardon system info (speaker location, speaker sizes, etc.) but not much for the stock system.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 03-13-2015, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 ML350
Originally Posted by kartele
Has anyone ever replaced the stock speaker system with the harmon kardon after it was purchased? I was hoping it would be prewired for the amp. Not sure if there are more speakers in the harmon kardon than base. Or if the stock system is even amplified. Anyone have any info? I have searched but don't come up with much. I found a listing with the harmon kardon system info (speaker location, speaker sizes, etc.) but not much for the stock system.
Supposedly the Harmon Kardon is minimally better. I just took my 2015 ML350 with stock sound to an audio shop to get a quote on an upgraded sound system. Aftermarket might be a lot more bang for your buck.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:10 PM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
Originally Posted by kartele
The stock system isn't bad at all. The HK is very good if you use it the way it was intended to be used. Upgrading to HK now is a silly endeavor and a waste of time to keep digging for answers. If you really need an upgrade then go aftermarket. For now, just drive the car for a few months and then decide if the upgrade is needed. For almost everyone, it isn't. But if you do need a better system then the project of upgrading to HK is not at all worthwhile nor worth the money.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
Originally Posted by 27T
The stock system isn't bad at all. The HK is very good if you use it the way it was intended to be used. Upgrading to HK now is a silly endeavor and a waste of time to keep digging for answers. If you really need an upgrade then go aftermarket. For now, just drive the car for a few months and then decide if the upgrade is needed. For almost everyone, it isn't. But if you do need a better system then the project of upgrading to HK is not at all worthwhile nor worth the money.
I agree...the HK system is quite good...I used to think the ML in the Lexus RX350 was excellent and optioned it into my wife's new '14 but I'd say the HK sounds much better
Old 03-15-2015, 01:24 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Base system has 2-3 less speakers than HK. Also NO subwoofer. Got this info from my MB Parts Dept. Am going to upgrade with aftermarket.