M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

AirMatic Specifications, Considering a ML350 and need some advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ML350 BlueTec
AirMatic Specifications, Considering a ML350 and need some advice

For those that read the related post, skip to the last paragraph.

I have returned to the Mercedes world with the purchase two weeks ago of a MY15 C400. Now I am looking at switching my wife from the MDX to the ML350BT. In the consideration though I have a couple of things to resolve.

There is a slightly used ML14 ML350 with 8k of miles on it that is about $13k Canadian less than buying brand new. Within there are a couple of options that I have questions about and in this post I am addressing the AirMatic suspension.

The truc I has the AirMatic suspension which I think is the only way to get the ML based on test drives. It does lead to a couple of questions though.

1. Is there any reliability questions that I should consider with AirMatic or are all the bugs worked out after all the years of its development?

2. This question is related to capability of AirMatic given my garage situation. Specifically, I have a garage door that is only a 7' opening height and I put a ski box on the roof of the current MDX which fits into the garage. This is important because when we had our MY02 ML500 my wife drove into the garage with the box on the roof, the two together measured higher than the garage opening so you can guess how that went (yes I had reminded her not to drive into the garage). So, for the question, can the truck be told to lower itself with the AirMatic and get a lower total height, and if so what would the lower height equate to?
Old 03-30-2015, 04:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 ML350 BT, 1998 BMW 540i/6
Originally Posted by SchneiderIS
1. Is there any reliability questions that I should consider with AirMatic or are all the bugs worked out after all the years of its development?
I hope the bugs are worked out because I have airmatic.

2. This question is related to capability of AirMatic given my garage situation. Specifically, I have a garage door that is only a 7' opening height and I put a ski box on the roof of the current MDX which fits into the garage. This is important because when we had our MY02 ML500 my wife drove into the garage with the box on the roof, the two together measured higher than the garage opening so you can guess how that went (yes I had reminded her not to drive into the garage). So, for the question, can the truck be told to lower itself with the AirMatic and get a lower total height, and if so what would the lower height equate to?
No - I don't believe there is any difference in vehicle height between the two modes when parked. I believe the sport mode lowers the suspension by a fraction of an inch (0.6"?) vs the comfort setting , and firms it up. You also can increase the ride height, but there is no manually selected lower setting like some other air suspension vehicles.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:43 PM

ML350 BlueTec
Bummers on the inability to lower manually. That would explain too why the salesman was having problems.

Might need to look for a different carrier box.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML550
I have Airmatic with the on/off road package on my 550. Mine drops an inch in sport mode but be aware that upon restarting, the truck automatically reverts to standard height. As far as reliability goes it's been perfect through 36K miles and I use is constantly.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:18 AM
hos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML250BT
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MERCEDES-...item19e43cc6b1

These are an option if you don't mind it being lower all the time.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by hos

That's good info- thanks for posting. May help the OP if they are looking for a few permanent inches.

I'm pleased at some of the aftermarket stuff available for the ML. Now if only I could get a reasonably priced Nav update.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:38 PM

ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by hos

Very interesting option. Admittedly, I like the look it offers and the fix is not intrusive persay.

Do wonder why you could not just handle it like a chipping of the motor is done, but I suppose that is because of the ride being in some other area of software that could be overwritten through regular servicing.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:43 PM

ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by rtw_travel
Now if only I could get a reasonably priced Nav update.
Is the nav update not included for the first three years and done through your Phone's data plan? Or, are you at the end of it or is it just the newer Command Online systems that support this?

RT, also just noticed that you are also in Calgary.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:43 PM

Is the nav update not included for the first three years and done through your Phone's data plan? Or, are you at the end of it or is it just the newer Command Online systems that support this?

RT, also just noticed that you are also in Calgary.
I don't think the 3 yr Nav updates were included until the 2014 or 2015 model year. We were looking new, but found the perfect 2012 privately and bought that instead last Christmas - only 23,000 km plus the 3 yr extended MB warranty, snow tires, winter and summer floor mats, 3m film on the front end and no gst. And airmatic, just to get back to the thread topic. My only unfulfilled wish was distronic, so I'll just have to remember to depress the brake pedal by myself. Yes- we live in Calgary near 4th st and elbow.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:34 PM

ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by rtw_travel
I don't think the 3 yr Nav updates were included until the 2014 or 2015 model year. We were looking new, but found the perfect 2012 privately and bought that instead last Christmas - only 23,000 km plus the 3 yr extended MB warranty, snow tires, winter and summer floor mats, 3m film on the front end and no gst. And airmatic, just to get back to the thread topic. My only unfulfilled wish was distronic, so I'll just have to remember to depress the brake pedal by myself. Yes- we live in Calgary near 4th st and elbow.
Sounds like you got a great ride and deal. I was about ready to do one yesterday, but have now decided that Leather really is a must for us. We are looking at getting a second place in Windermere and the summer drives back and forth would be uncomfortable with the Artico.

Histrionic would be great, but not a must like the AirMatic is. Having driven both with and without I found the non-AirMatic was not as good handling and ride wise as the 2008 MDX we currently have for an SUV. The AirMatic was much more enjoyable.

We are in Bearspaw just outside the city limits in the North West.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
[QUOTE=rtw_travel;6382287]I hope the bugs are worked out because I have airmatic.

No - I don't believe there is any difference in vehicle height between the two modes when parked. I believe the sport mode lowers the suspension by a fraction of an inch (0.6"?) vs the comfort setting , and firms it up. You also can increase the ride height, but there is no manually selected lower setting like some other air suspension vehicles.[/QUOTE

Incorrect. If you drive in sport and park it stays low. A little less than an inch lowering. If you drive into garage with comfort of stays higher when off. The height doesn't vary with parking like range rovers. Air matic is not standard we had an ml350 2012 springs and 2014 ml550 with airmatic which is vastly superior. From a comfort and sporty perspective. You get 2 different cars in one
Old 04-01-2015, 07:52 AM

I'm not sure about that. Whenever you park and turn the engine off, wait a few minutes: the air will release . I've seen this a couple of times and have made a mental note never to work under the car without it being supported.

It doesn't drop much, but there is no warning when it goes down.