M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

GLE300d vs GLE500e

Old 05-18-2015, 07:14 PM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
GLE300d vs GLE500e

Still early but is anyone debating between the diesel and the hybrid? For whatever reasons, be it fuel economy, etc. This isn't a "what should I get" type of thread. It's more for conversation and which powerplant (gas, diesel, electric) is better suited for which types of uses.

Personally, I love the 6cyl diesel, no longer an option, and am warming up to the idea of the 4cyl. Our routine driving has changed over the past year such as now, the suv is used for more around town type runs. Kid's school, wife's job, gym, grocery store, etc all within a 5 mile radius, tops 10 mins each way. Maybe once per week or on weekends taking a 15 mile highway ride about 20 mins each way. Of course a road trip or 2 thrown into the mix once or twice per year.

We're talking a lot of short trips which got me thinking about how diesels perform best when at full temp and on longer runs. Short trips can lead to carbon build up or not enough time for the regen process. The X5 xDrive40e can go up to 13 miles on pure electric, the GLE500e can go 19 miles, both plug-in hybrids. Those that use the suv primarily as the family vehicle, grocery getter, wife's car doing short trips, what are your thoughts?
Old 05-19-2015, 03:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 GLC 4Matic
Just a couple of thoughts...

I currently have a 2012 ML BlueTec and am quite pleased with it. I am considering a 2016 GLE 300d or a GLE 550e. I frequently "consider" such things.

Just a nit; the "500e" is the European model which presumably has the same electric motor and a smaller gasoline V6 than the US model. That might mean better mpg for the European version, and that is now listed as 71 mpg (and that is a Wow!!). The mpg on the US 550e has not yet been announced to my knowledge. From the available information, I find the 550e to be VERY appealing... to me.

And because it is a Wow!!, it will probably be highly sought after, and likely that few if any, discounts be offered

Another thought... I would speculate that the MSRP will be $12-15K higher than it will be on the 300d, and if one is interested in the 550e because of the economic incentive of great mpg, the $12-15K sort of kills that. My cursory attempt at comparing the two models on the apples/oranges German website lead me to believe that the 550e offers very little in addition to what might be on the 300d... meaning if you buy the 550e, you won't have leather, or xenons included.

I'll probably have a few more meaningless thoughts.

Al
Old 05-19-2015, 04:29 PM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
Same here, always a "consideration" on which vehicle to get next. Wife loves the 350 diesel. Sticking w/ the engine means moving into a GL 350 which she's driven and is comfortable w/ maneuvering, but it's extra cost and space that we don't need, esp w/ 1 kid. The gas engines are always the tried and true fall back but I'm looking for something different while still being practical/reasonable.

You bring up a good point re the cost. The V6 gas being the median/baseline, the diesel will most likely come in at a lower price point while the hybrid will be higher, and then adding in options. Initial production numbers as well as consumer demand will decide if there will be any deals to be had. Like the fiasco w/ the new C-class last fall where a $42k C300 was leasing for $600+/mo and my SA said he was making more commission on some C's than on an S. Would still be interesting to see what it will be like to lease on for a few years, esp if our driving habits stay as they are now. Then theoretically, on a morning taking my daughter to school and then back should be all on the electric motor. The gas engine may not turn on at all.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 Jetta TDI
We won't get the plug-in hybrid in Canada, but we do have the 350d which is great. If I had to choose between the two, I would like to know how far I can go on one full tank with the 500e/550e. Seeing as they are tailored for city driving, I think in the long run, if you do long distances, the diesel might be a better choice. Not sure if there is any gainful regeneration during highway driving.

You had mentioned doing a 15 miles highway ride per week or so, perhaps then the plug-in would do well.

My other concern is the trunk space loss, I'm not a fan of that they did in the 500e/550e:

I wish they had something like the new XC90 T8 where the trunk space is unchanged. Because of that, it feels like the 500e/550e was rushed for market just to sell a quota of hybrids...

Just my two cents. I'm still getting a 350d this summer....
Old 05-20-2015, 03:28 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
With so many new vehicles hitting the market it is always difficult to pick. As the posters above have shown, the decision by MB buyers is usually made for practical reasons. Other brands are purchased for speed, economy, looks, etc. but MB buyers seem more "need" oriented than "want" oriented. I've read other car forums and still belong to a Honda owners club and MB owners are decidedly different in this regard, at least in terms of priorities. Economy factors, such as purchase price and gas mileage are high on everyone's list but not quite as high with "luxury" buyers, which is as expected and comes as no surprise.

For these very reasons of practicality, I will probably buy the GLE Coupe next May as that is when the four year warranty runs out on my 2012 ML350. The coupe is a totally new vehicle and that appeals to me. Yet by the time I will purchase it it will have had nearly a year under its belt for Mercedes to tweak it for the better. Because the back seat of my ML is very seldom used, the greater room of an SUV will not be missed. I will probably stick with gasoline motors because I do not trailer, haul things in the rear end (other than grocery items or an occasional bag of mulch) or go on long highway trips. If I did any of these things frequently I would go with the diesel. Nor do I care about the supposed longevity of a diesel engine since I usually trade well before I have 50,000 miles on my vehicles. I don't want the "E" model because I do very little city driving, just country back roads out here in the sticks where I live so the higher purchase price would not be worth it to me.

There are other reasons but they all are "practical" ones based on my individual needs of vehicle type and engine selection (heaven knows I certainly don't need an AMG at my age although my heart still wants one!!). I believe these new GLEs are either being built as we speak or soon will be. It will be interesting to read the upcoming reviews by pro auto critics and especially the owners here at the forum, of how the new GLE and the GLE Coupe perform