M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Can't Open Tailgate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML550, RS5
Can't Open Tailgate

I have 2013 ML550 that suddenly decided it doesn't want to open the tailgate. I checked the 3 fuses the fuse paper lists for the power tailgate, but they all look good.

I've tried the remote, the drivers door and pulling the release on the tailgate itself and it won't move. Any suggestions?
Old 05-24-2015, 03:45 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
I had a similar problem on my 2012 ML350 although my hatch moved a little so I knew I was getting power to it. Basically, mine would not come down far enough to latch. Do you have the memory height enabled? If so that could be the source of the trouble.

The memory stop will eventually get confused if you open/close the hatch manually rather than by the driver door release, remote or close it by the stop button on the hatch itself. The service guy told me that the memory can get screwed up if you lift and lower the hatch by hand because that forces the hatch to go to a place other than what it is programmed for. If you use the other methods, the memory is not forced to another position as those methods are all done electronically. This "memory confusion" will eventually shut down the system because it forgets where it is suppose to go. They installed a new right side hatch shock (where I assume the memory control motor is located) and it has been fine ever since. I now almost always use the remote to open and close the hatch and never force it up or down by hand.

What concerns me about your situation is that you seem to be getting no power at all to the hatch, which would indicate an electrical problem. Also, my fix would probably not be applicable unless you have enabled the height stop memory to a certain point other than the default, fully open height set at the factory. Nor would it it be applicable if you never open or close the hatch by hand. In any event, I would bring it to the dealer right away as this is a warranty item.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
ML350
I had this problem on my '13. Took it to the dealer and they said the software had to be updated. The report read that the codes to needed to be set again.