M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

"ESP inoperative see owners manual" & "Run flat indicator inoperative" Please Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML500 (own), 2014 Audi A7, 2014 Audi A5 sportback 1.8TFSI 2013 Lexus GS350, 2014 Lexus RX350
"ESP inoperative see owners manual" & "Run flat indicator inoperative" Please Help

Hi

I started getting this message a couple of months ago after I had my ECU tuned and also front left tire replaced.

So basically this happens whenever I accelerate ( medium acceleration ) and at around 3000- 3500 RPM the car suddenly shakes and the power cuts but still i can press the brakes and slow down to a full stop. When i came to a full stop i started to accelerate but the car jumps forward and brake itself continuously. At first when this happened on the highway I thought it was a tire blow out or something but checked all 4 tires nothing appears damaged.

When I switch off the car and switch on the message goes away and I can drive the car normally.

I went to the dealer with a video to support my problem and showed it to one of the engineer and told me that it may happened because you removed the catalyst from your exhaust and the computers cannot accept the extra power.

Anyways, he said that it needed an "ESP reset" So I did that and i paid 180$.
when i received the car I tried to accelerate a few times and nothing appear. After a few days I tried one more time to accelerate a bit harder and Bang.. the message appeared again and same problem happened.

Sorry for the long writing but I must fix this problem, it started to make me worried that I went with the ecu tune if that what it caused it. I have uploaded a video to show you. Please i would appreciate your help if any one can help me with this.

My car is a 2013 ML500/550

Last edited by m7mad; 05-27-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Engine shutdown - I understand did a ECU tune + removed the catalytic converters - and I have no idea what you did about the emission sensors.

Yes - the logical 1st step would be to icontact the tuner - renstall the cat's/sensors - and if that does not fix the problem there - then you would need to reinstall the factory ECU tune.

On your ESP - recheck tire pressure all around - incirease tire pressure 2lbs - it can be a combination of low pressure and tread/tire differential between the "one new tire" and the other three depending on mileage/tread on the other three as compared to your one-new-tire.

Good luck !
Old 05-26-2015, 03:28 PM

2013 ML500 (own), 2014 Audi A7, 2014 Audi A5 sportback 1.8TFSI 2013 Lexus GS350, 2014 Lexus RX350
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Engine shutdown - I understand did a ECU tune + removed the catalytic converters - and I have no idea what you did about the emission sensors.

Yes - the logical 1st step would be to icontact the tuner - renstall the cat's/sensors - and if that does not fix the problem there - then you would need to reinstall the factory ECU tune.

On your ESP - recheck tire pressure all around - incirease tire pressure 2lbs - it can be a combination of low pressure and tread/tire differential between the "one new tire" and the other three depending on mileage/tread on the other three as compared to your one-new-tire.

Good luck !
Thanks for the reply. The car doesn't shutdown, but only cuts power, the pedal does nothing when u press it. I have contacted the tuner and they said the esp needs a software update to accept the high torque.

Regarding the catalyst converters I would love to put them back on but that would cause too much back pressure on the turbos as the tuner said.

I'm starting to regret what i did to my car. Apparently, the customer service of PP-Performance sucks too.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I am not tech savvy - but I have not heard of "re-programming ESP for added torque" - if that was the case - my chipped-up 4matic sedan customers would have had a problem..

I understand the "regrets" - as with any tune the "risk" is returning to stock
Old 05-27-2015, 02:05 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2012 W221 S63, 2016 W166 GLE350d
Sorry if this is irrelevant, but how come the tachometer needle is bouncing like that?
Old 05-27-2015, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by bb1510
Sorry if this is irrelevant, but how come the tachometer needle is bouncing like that?
I don't know, the car also bounces when i try to press the pedal.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mercedez
I apologize for bringing up this old thread. I had a similar issue with my vehicle recently; the ABS, ESP Malfunction, Run Flat Inoperative came out to my dash, I scanned it myself and found out that I had a bad ABS wheel speed sensor. I Immediately purchase and replace the wheel speed sensor myself, reset the code and it works normal now. I came across an in-depth article that may be worth reading. Search for "Run Flat Inoperative. ABS, ESP, Malfunction on Mercedes-Benz on YOUCANIC" and you will see an article that goes over common causes and possible fixes. You can read about it yourself. I hope this information can assist someone else with a similar issue.