M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

keyless start/stop button won't work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 ML350
keyless start/stop button won't work

All the sudden the button don't work. Took button out and use key and it works fine. All other key functions work ( like remote lock etc ) What's wrong?
Old 05-25-2015, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML-350, Audi Q7, Ford Taurus
someone told me there is a battery in the button, is it true? maybe worth checking it first
Old 05-25-2015, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
If Keyless works with one key - but not with the 2nd key...

1) "Sometimes" - based on two keys - using one key - someone locks the other key inside the car - and when A KEY GETS "LOCKED IN" BY THE OTHER KEY - THAT LOCKED IN KEY GETS DISABLED FOR KEYLESS GO - until that locked in key gets used in the ignition (no button) and then is "unlocked" and can be used for Keyless again.

2) Sometimes low battery can prevent Keyless

The very/very rarely the keyless system can get confused and requires dealer attention.

Good luck !
Old 05-25-2015, 06:22 PM

2013 ML350
It worked fine with both keys now don't work with them . Keys were never left in car and only one used at a time. Also everything else works with the fob and batteries in both remotes are only 3 months old. I would think that both batteries going out at the same time is not too probable. Nearest dealer is 2 hours away so guess I'll plan a road trip.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Press unlock twice on the keyfob and try again.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:21 PM

2015 ML350 Black/Black
Originally Posted by eggyacid
someone told me there is a battery in the button, is it true? maybe worth checking it first
No it is much easier to write post on any forum or facebook these days, someone should use his brain, why bother ...
Old 05-26-2015, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
No - there is no battery-in-the-button
Old 05-27-2015, 09:44 AM

2013 ML350
Originally Posted by Breitling65
No it is much easier to write post on any forum or facebook these days, someone should use his brain, why bother ...
batteries are in the fob, not the start button and of course I checked those first before posting problem. Also tried several ways suggested in manual before posting.
Thought I would post to see if any better ideas before making 2 hour trip to dealer. Thank you very much.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:38 PM

2015 ML350 4Matic
Just curious - do you have a smartphone on you when trying to use the keyless go? I think that some smartphones may interfere with keyless go but not confirmed.
I had similar problems with my 2015 ML. Keyless go wouldn't work with button but keys worked fine. Also taking my phone out of my pocket seemed to make a difference.
Dealer did an update to keyless go software and no problems since.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:36 PM

2013 ML350
Made the 2 hour trip to dealer today ( 4 hour roundtrip), had the B service done and they could not fix or find the problem with the start button and touch lock etc . Needs a reboot or software update but the link to Germany was screwed and they couldn't do the upgrade, so now I'll have another trip (4 hours round trip) when they can get the communication problem solved. Kind of not too happy with MB right now.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:16 PM

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
2022 GLE450
That sounds frustrating. I experience this at times as well. I know its a pain but keep in mind MB can't have a dealer everywhere and the commute issue is not theirs. Just trying to be objective, I know I would be annoyed myself though.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:26 AM

2013 ML350
Originally Posted by hutch300
That sounds frustrating. I experience this at times as well. I know its a pain but keep in mind MB can't have a dealer everywhere and the commute issue is not theirs. Just trying to be objective, I know I would be annoyed myself though.
When we bought the MB we were about 2 miles from the dealer which was good due to numerous small problems we had with the MB. On the other hand my F-150 Platinum eco-boost had 0 problems and now has 55000 on it. Now that we are so far from a MB dealer these small problems are a major problem for us. With only 10000 on the MB in 2.5 years I have lost faith in the reliability and would rather use the F-150 for reliability on trips. Actually the truck has all the same features ( except for a sun roof ) and rides and handles just as well, plus has heated and cooled leather seats and every other feature the MB. Seriously thinking of trading for a Ford Platinum Explorer or Expedition for my wife's vehicle and the Ford dealer is just 4 miles from here.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:12 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
I agree with couture's reasoning - and unlike him I've had zero problems with my 2012 ML 350 gas version.

My dealer offers loaners, free washes, pick up and delivery (which is important because I live 40 miles away), and their service department is really good. I have had two very minor warranty claims early on that were fixed promptly. Every other contact with them has been for A/B/A service and new tires. I could not be happier with either the ML or the dealer.

However, I trade cars when the warranty expires. Since I only drive an average of 8,000 miles per year that means I trade after four years, which will be next May. In looking at the MB vehicles for the 2016 MY, I do not see myself in the GLE because although it appears it will be a little different in some important ways, it is not different enough from what I have to really make it feel like a "new" ride. Perhaps the GLE Coupe might be better suited to me and at least that is a totally new model and design, even though I am not particularly drawn to the looks.

I have seen the Lincoln MKX which resembles the ML in size but is quite different inside and out. The "Black Label" series seems to be every bit as plush and handsome as the Benz. I would have not considered a Lincoln a couple years ago but this one seems to have hit the mark. Because their warranty is as good, actually a bit better than MB, provide free maintenance and since the price is around the same or a bit cheaper, I will give the MKX a good look next year.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:14 PM

2013 ML350
Final fix for the problem. My wife took it to a dealer in Raleigh N.C. which is 6 hours away ( she went to visit our daughter ) and that dealer finally was able to figure out the problem. Had to install a new computer as the original would not take reflash or updates to the system. All is working fine now, but there again I have problem with trusting this MB. Thinking of trading now on the new Honda Pilot (2016) which has rave reviews. We had a Pilot before and it was terrific and very reliable.

Thanks for all your tips to get this working, but they were never going to help with this computer problem.
The following users liked this post:
Blueline205 (07-16-2018)