M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

2012 ML-350 Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML-350, Audi Q7, Ford Taurus
2012 ML-350 Rear Brakes

So my dealer told me last month that I needed new pads for the rear but the sensor has not lit yet. just last weekend, i noticed humming (rubbing) noises when breaking at very low speed, such as in parking lots from the rear driver side.
does it sound like it's time to pay for the brake pads? what's your opinion on third party shops vs dealer.
anyone recommend a place to go in Dallas area for brake jobs?
Old 07-28-2015, 05:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 ML350 BT, 1998 BMW 540i/6
The brakes are standard - anyone could do them. However, look at this an an opportunity. With a 2012, its probably time to find a mechanic you can trust who specializes in MB that is not the dealer. You can see the tools and training that they have, meet the mechanics and see if you like them while just getting a low risk/ low price job done like brakes. A good place to start looking for recommendations would be your local MB club.

... and if you wait until the sensor wears out, then you just need to buy a new sensor rather than re-using your existing one.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:08 AM

2014 E350 Sport
Stop on a Dime Brakes is who I recommend since you are also in the Dallas area. Here is their website: http://www.dallasbrakes.com

They are a mobile service and will come to your home or office. I know you are probably thinking that there's no way these guys know what they are doing. I thought the same thing a few years ago when I needed new front brakes on my 2012 ML350 4Matic. My good friend is a huge BMW guy and was telling me how I needed to start using independents because their business is built on providing great services and keeping your car running and performing at high levels for a long time.

So I decided to try them and they have been great. Dan is the contact person and the person who will come out and do the work is the owner, Chris. He's a BMW Master Mechanic who left Classic BMW to start his own business. He knows what he's doing and only does what is necessary. They only offer OEM parts or better.

When I needed my front brakes done, he quoted me a price for pads and rotors like Park Place would have done. He would have charged about $600, much less than the $850 Park Place would charge. However, he said if he comes out and measures the rotors and they are still in spec, he won't put on new rotors. And sure enough, at 45k miles, my rotors were just fine so I ended up only having to pay $300 for upgraded Akebono ceramic pads and labor. I also had the rear pads done last year at 60k miles. No rotors on the rear either since they were still good. However, Akebono doesn't have ceramics for the year so they used the brand Textar. Excellent performance and lower dust than the OE pads from Mercedes. My ML is at 75k miles and the next time I need pads I'll get new rotors all around.

On my mother's 2010 Lexus RX350, I had them go over to my parents house because I thought at 70k miles, it was time for new brakes. Chris went out there and determined that there was still 40% left on the pads and said it didn't need to be replaced yet. I told him to just do it and he insisted I wait till they were down to 20% and the squeal sensor became audible. My parents don't drive much and Chris said there was no reason to spend the money until it was time. Very honest person.

When I purchased my 2014 E350 Sport, the first person I called after I got the car was Chris. I got Akebono ceramics front and rear for $497 out the door. I can't speak enough on their workmanship and honesty. They give up front pricing, no upselling or any bull****. And you don't have some entry level tech doing the work. Chris is highly trained.

Below is their yelp reviews. I think you should definitely do your due diligence and talk to the dealership and independent shops and find out about their costs and what parts they use. But I personally will only use Stop on a Dime Brakes for all my brake needs. If you happen to decide to give them a try, let Dan know Austin sent you. Tell him you heard from me on the forum, he'll take good care of you. Dan's email is: danz@stop-on-a-dime.com

Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/stop-on-a-di...ervice-rowlett
Old 07-30-2015, 08:44 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
This is excellent information. I live in East Texas, 125 miles from the Dallas area and there is no one out here except one MB dealer, who as you would expect charges a lot for everything. MB or German specialty mechanic shops are non existent.

It might be worth taking my 2012 ML350 to Dallas and have these guys take a look at my brakes. I see from their website they go out to Sunnyvale to do service work and that is off of I-20 which would make my trip much shorter. It is not so much that the MB dealer out here charges so much as what I am really looking for is references of honest mechanics that know what they are doing. That, more than price or anything else, would make the trip worthwhile. Thanks for the tip and I will have to look into this further.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:57 PM

ML-350, Audi Q7, Ford Taurus
I did exactly what you suggested, Stop-On-A-Dime did a great job replaced my rear pads and rotors. They couldn't find the Akebobo pads for the rear so we used Textar instead.
excellent service and great price compares to dealer... highly recommended.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:19 PM

2014 E350 Sport
I'm glad to hear Chris and Dan provided you with excellent service. They are the only people I'll have work on my brakes. Get the word out on them, always good to help small business and people who are as talented and honest as them.