Need Urgent Advices

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MDX
Need Urgent Advices

Hi MB owners,
I'm new to the MB world. I'm negotiating a deal on a pre-owned ML350 and I'm torned between the 2 options:

1. 2013 w/24.7K miles, has Keyless-GO, lane-tracking package, and HD Xenon lighting package (in addition to the P01 package). 2 years remaining warranty
2. 2014 w/14.9K miles with zero option (other than the premium 01 pkg). 4 years remainng warranty.

#1 is $1.7K cheaper than #2. Both are CPO.

I'm torned because I really like the 2013 options. However, the 2014 has full warranty (3 year + 1 CPO). Both come with 2-yr free pre-paid maintenance.

I can get #1 for about $40K

I know giving general advices like this is tough, but if it were you, what would you choose and why?

Lanced
Old 09-29-2015, 04:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
ML350
Tough decision. You can install aftermarket HIDs on car #2 and I find lane tracking to be useless in practicality unless if you put on a lot of highway miles and need the assistance. However, the keyless go is essential in my opinion. Is blind spot monitor included?

10k are not a lot miles and MLs generally have good reliability.

Find out how much it costs to have additional MB warranty on option #1 thats $1.7k cheaper. Maybe you can justify it there.

On a side note, make sure to get updated navigation maps and rubber mats all around (including back) thrown in for free.

Last edited by Matt-Dallas; 09-29-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:50 PM

MDX
Originally Posted by Matt-Dallas
Tough decision. You can install aftermarket HIDs on car #2 and I find lane tracking to be useless in practicality unless if you put on a lot of highway miles and need the assistance. However, the keyless go is essential in my opinion.

10k are not a lot miles and MLs generally have good reliability.

Find out how much it costs to have additional MB warranty on option #1 thats $1.7k cheaper. Maybe you can justify it there.
Thanks for your response Matt.
I don't care much for the HID actually, but the lane-tracking is important for me, especially given how distracted I am now-a-day :-).

It's really a shame that the Keyless-GO is not a default for a MB.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
The Bi Xenons are teriffic. Can't you keep looking for a car with the options you really will miss if you settle? (A newer vehicle is better)
Old 09-29-2015, 05:01 PM

MDX
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
The Bi Xenons are teriffic. Can't you keep looking for a car with the options you really will miss if you settle? (A newer vehicle is better)
I can, but I don't know if it will get any better. There is a 2015 with 11K mile for $4K more than the 2013, but again, has no option. The 2015 actually has less warranty left than the 2014.

Also, if I close the deal tomorrow, I'll get 2 year pre-paid maintenance for free.

Is there any significant std feature diff between 13 v. 14 v.15?
Old 09-29-2015, 05:26 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Honestly, #2. Newer, 10K less miles, longer warranty to me trumps driving nanny features. Keyless go is nice, but not a deal breaker in comparison. Xenons can be upgraded with aftermarket.

13 and 14 models are the same... only difference was you had more available options you could order from in 14 models. 15 model introduced new engine lines (diesel and turbo 6).

Last edited by AZN Optics; 09-29-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:43 PM

MDX
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
Honestly, #2. Newer, 10K less miles, longer warranty to me trumps driving nanny features. Keyless go is nice, but not a deal breaker in comparison. Xenons can be upgraded with aftermarket.

13 and 14 models are the same... only difference was you had more available options you could order from in 14 models. 15 model introduced new engine lines (diesel and turbo 6).
So the 15 base would still be the same as the 13 and 14 then?
Old 09-29-2015, 06:38 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Originally Posted by lanced
So the 15 base would still be the same as the 13 and 14 then?
Should be.

Are the color (interior and exterior) the same for all three? Do you have a preference? Have you had a chance to look at them in person to assess the paint/trim condition from wear and tear?
Old 09-29-2015, 06:49 PM

MDX
Should be.

Are the color (interior and exterior) the same for all three? Do you have a preference? Have you had a chance to look at them in person to assess the paint/trim condition from wear and tear?
color combination is the same for all 3.
I haven't get a chance to look at the 14 and 15 yet. I have my brother (who is a car nut :-) looked at the 2013 and all are good.
I'm assuming the 14/15 are good condition and if I choose to go that route, I will come to check them out in person.

Lanced

Last edited by lanced; 09-29-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Use edmunds.com w/features list on each to get 3rd party benchmark pricing - Certified - then take a look at CPO warranty end-date for each - and make a intelligent decision - and YES (Payment Credit + 2 yrs PPD) officially ends Weds end of day - in the past one or the other drops off for October..
Old 09-30-2015, 10:35 PM

MDX
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Use edmunds.com w/features list on each to get 3rd party benchmark pricing - Certified - then take a look at CPO warranty end-date for each - and make a intelligent decision - and YES (Payment Credit + 2 yrs PPD) officially ends Weds end of day - in the past one or the other drops off for October..
I went with the '14 simply because the condition is like brand new and the car seems to be the most responsive of the 3 I tried.

The 2013 has a weird problem: the factory mis-match the color of the rear bumper. The put a "pearl" bumper on a white car. I offered to repaint it but I turned down.

Another '14 with 20K mile with the same options as the '13 but RWD. It's too sluggish for me. Not sure if it was the RWD or the car has problem, but I was not happy about it.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice. I'm now a MB member :-)

Last edited by lanced; 09-30-2015 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:12 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Grats on the purchase. Post some pics and let us know if we can help you out updating the stock yellowish lights to more modern white lighting
Old 10-05-2015, 02:16 PM

MDX
Grats on the purchase. Post some pics and let us know if we can help you out updating the stock yellowish lights to more modern white lighting
I'll take up on your offer AZN :-).

My list of things to mod are:
1. Steering wheel. Can't believe you have to do this on a MB, but I have to switch out the leather SW with the wooden one. How do I figure out the right part # for the model/color?

2. Running board: I like the look with the RB. Is the an OEM version with light or should I got with the non-light version after-market?

3. Does the after-market xenon/HID lights have the active-turning feature (synchronize with the steering wheel)? Any good source of buying a high-quality light?

Lanced.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
ML350

1. Steering wheel. Can't believe you have to do this on a MB, but I have to switch out the leather SW with the wooden one. How do I figure out the right part # for the model/color?

2. Running board: I like the look with the RB. Is the an OEM version with light or should I got with the non-light version after-market?

3. Does the after-market xenon/HID lights have the active-turning feature (synchronize with the steering wheel)? Any good source of buying a high-quality light?

Lanced.
1. Personally, I prefer the leather steering wheel for a better grip. Mine happens to be heated, which is not available in wood. How much is the wooden SW costing you?
2. ML's OEM running boards get in the way most of the time as you enter/exit the car. It's an impractical design. Don't bother unless if you're getting them only for the looks.
3. No sync. I recommend xenonsupply.com
Old 10-05-2015, 04:17 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Lanced.
1. Should be just a simple call to the parts department. Fairly easy to switch out though, just need to transplant the center airbag.

2. Aftermarket will be cheaper and you can always retrofit a light strip. OEM will be less work, but at a cost.

3. It's controlled by the headlight housing actuators, nothing to do with the HIDs.

We carry top end Morimoto HID units which are one of the best in the market (just a slight step down from MTEC which are the best, but also at twice the cost). Morimoto conversion kits are plug and play full kits including bulbs, wiring harness, ballast, igniters, and canbus cancellers. 5 year easy warranty. The Elite XB35 kits are offered in 5000K pure white and 6000K white with a slight bluish hue.