M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Made the switch, ML to GLE (a few issues...)

Old 01-03-2016, 08:12 PM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
Made the switch, ML to GLE (a few issues...)

I know a lot of my gripes can be viewed as self inflicted, but venting nonetheless. Also creating this post so as give others a few things to keep an eye out for.

Last night, picked up our new GLE350. I posted elsewhere how we went from looking for a GL and ended up in a GLE, that part is fine. We turned in our ML on Thursday, new years eve, and had a loaner. However, one of the "exciting" parts was that the vehicle was on truck on it's way to the dealer and the build sheet had the colors as polar white exterior and espresso brown interior. This is the color combo we've wanted for a while. Salesman called yesterday saying it was in, being prepped, and will be ready by 4pm. I asked if the interior was indeed brown, to which he said yes. My reason for confirming this was because on the dealer's website, it had the interior as ginger beige/espresso brown. Salesman and manager said their website must be a typo and the build sheet, being from the factory, was the correct one. You see where this is going right... We get there, our new car is inside the showroom, I can see they transferred my plates. My wife opens the door and we both say "That's not brown!!!" Salesman, and both managers are confused looking at the build sheet and the actual car. Me being me, I had a copy of the ordering guide which has pics of the different interiors so I pointed out what it should look like, chocolate brown seating w/ white stitching. And here is where I caught it, and the lesson for all. The build sheet says 115 espresso brown/ginger beige. We all took this to be brown seats w/ beige on the accent areas. In the order guide, code 114 is espresso brown mb tex. Code 115 is ginger beige/espresso brown mb tex. With the wealth of information we have access to on this forum, I hope all can take from this to double and triple check the ordering codes and not rely on just the written descriptions. Spent a half hr contemplating not taking delivery but our ML was already grounded/lease returned and the GLE was already punched. We really, really, don't like the light interior. Was given the option to unwind the entire deal but instead settled on free interior cleanings and a set of the MB/weathertech all weather mats. Went straight from the dealer to a restaurant for dinner and dye from my wife's jeans already transferred. Also, both front seating surfaces have almost like a looseness to them. Our ML was firm and the material was pulled tight. Beauty of leasing is that's temporary. Besides, the ML was already out of warranty, coming up on the 60k mile service, and I have an feeling of what was also coming next with it. I'm sure many here are familiar w/ the issue w/ the 642 diesel engine so I won't go into details.

My next gripe is that the "new" vehicle (build date 11/15 on the door jamb), while just coming off the truck that same day, had 102 miles on it. Again, no one had an answer. Also mysterious was an entry under last destinations in the nav for an address in North Arlington, New Jersey. Joy ride? Someone forgot their keys/lunch/phone back home? My lease is starting at 102 miles and I'll be sure to confirm this w/ MBFS tomorrow.

Quite a few changes from the 1st '12 ML's to the new GLE. I haven't read the manual yet so taking it to work w/ me tomorrow. The rear camera now has a cover that you can hear open and close when you go into reverse. When shifting into park, the parking brake also engages on it's own which is a lil annoying. COMAND controller is redundant in that you can use the scroll wheel or touch pad to do the same things. Menus are "familar" but using the controller(s?) to go between them takes getting used to. I can hear the exhaust now when I didn't before. Don't know if this is a GLE thing or if it's just me coming from the diesel to the gas engine. Transmission does seem to be smoother even though it's the same 7 spd unit. I miss the pull of the diesel but also enjoy not having to account for the delay/turbo lag when pulling out into traffic. Under the hood, a lot more room. Seems as if the diesel was physically bigger whereas now I noticed a good size gap before the front of the actual engine. The running lights looked better on the ML's w/ the strip of LED's by the lower air intakes. I don't have the lighting pkg (don't ask...) so I have the small LED's built into the headlight unit itself.

As I mentioned in another post, we're using this car almost as a trial run of different options. I like the new steering wheel. Wrapped in soft nappa leather like the m-sport wheel in my BMW. Our ML had the wood/leather wheel which I liked, wife prefers the new heated wheel. We now have the pano roof and like it. 2 options the ML had that we immediately miss is H/K sound and ambient lighting, both are must haves next time. Don't really care for the red needles on the gauges. Also have to further explore the new COMAND has internet access as well as weather and finance apps. Will report back on the dynamic select modes. I'll be the 1st to say that while I don't mind the lighted star, that, combined with the lighted running boards, and the MB crest projected from below the mirrors is a bit much. And the remote start also goes in the plus column.

I'm also kicking myself for not joining the MB car club 3 yrs ago. Could've gotten another $500 off. Believe me, it pays for itself. I am a BMW CCA member and with them, it's actually a rebate check that I got after picking up my last car.

Last edited by skw; 01-05-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:23 PM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
2016 GLE 350d
Congrats on the new wheels but not the issues. 102 miles and an address in the nav would seriously **** me off. Same with the wrong interior colour! Love my H/K system so I hear you there.

Good luck with it and enjoy.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Mercedes ML350 4Matic AMG Line, 2013 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro, 2012 Volkswagen Touareg V6 SEL
Great write up. Thanks for the info. I too believed that the word ginger beige - "espresso" brown interior was dark brown, till I saw the specs sheet from the dealer here in Dubai.

Why could'nt Mercedes just call the dark brown Espresso Brown and the light brown Ginger Beige? Very confusing - and I'm sure there are going to be a lot of disappointed customers taking delivery, unless they see the above sheet first.

Good luck again and congratulations.

A bit off topic, but can I get an Illuminated Star for my 2014 ML350 W166? Anyone have the part numbers handy? Thanks!
Old 01-05-2016, 06:33 AM
skw

2019 GLS450
Originally Posted by battlecat
Great write up. Thanks for the info. I too believed that the word ginger beige - "espresso" brown interior was dark brown, till I saw the specs sheet from the dealer here in Dubai.

Why could'nt Mercedes just call the dark brown Espresso Brown and the light brown Ginger Beige? Very confusing - and I'm sure there are going to be a lot of disappointed customers taking delivery, unless they see the above sheet first.

Good luck again and congratulations.

A bit off topic, but can I get an Illuminated Star for my 2014 ML350 W166? Anyone have the part numbers handy? Thanks!
The last thing I want to do is come to their defense, but that is the way they have it. Espresso is the darker brown, like a milk chocolate color. Ginger Beige is just tan. The issue in my case is the description on the build sheet from the factory. I'll post a pic later. It says "115 Espresso Brown/Ginger Beige". On the surface, we (we being myself, my wife, and the dealer) took this to be espresso as the primary color on the seats. Code 115 is actually the ginger beige (tan) color on the seats and then espresso (brown) on the upper dash, steering wheel, center arm rest, door handles, carpet, etc.

So my point was just to make sure when reading the description or build sheet, to also cross reference the numerical option codes with the order guide or something else to make sure your options are what you're actually getting.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
I bet with time it will grow on you..hopefully...when I purchased mine I was very torn against the interior color but since it was used (1500 kms) I had no choice...these here are very scarce used ($15000 less than new) but now I actually really like the color..get plenty of compliments and if I were to order new I may even choose the same (if available)..
enjoy in good health and safety

Last edited by Nanook; 01-05-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:15 AM
skw

2019 GLS450
Originally Posted by Nanook
I bet with time it will grow on you..hopefully...when I purchased mine I was very torn against the interior color but since it was used (1500 kms) I had no choice...these here are very scarce used ($15000 less than new) but now I actually really like the color..get plenty of compliments and if I were to order new I may even choose the same (if available)..
enjoy in good health and saftey

I'm hoping with time. Your car is gorgeous! And that almost like a teaser pic. Your interior is like what we originally wanted.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:24 AM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 53 Coupe, 2024 GLE 450e SUV
I made the exact same error that you did. The car was for my wife. She wasn't happy, but like you, we took the car with the beige. Yes, the dye from our jeans is already staining the beige seats.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
16 GLE400, 16 eGolf, 15 M3, 13 328i, 06 S430, 98 E320
As for the lack of ambience light, my GLE400 supposed to come with it as standard but MB decided to take $250 off the MSRP and not include it. That seriously pissed me off...this is one of those small things that would make a whole world of difference imho..
Old 01-05-2016, 09:33 PM
skw

2019 GLS450
Originally Posted by davezaristo
As for the lack of ambience light, my GLE400 supposed to come with it as standard but MB decided to take $250 off the MSRP and not include it. That seriously pissed me off...this is one of those small things that would make a whole world of difference imho..
Ambient lighting totally enhances the cabin all around. Certainly on the checklist. And this is my last time I promise. 1st pic is the build sheet we were initially shown, 2nd pic is the window sticker with same description as the build sheet, 3rd pic is the ordering guide. Might have to drop a line to MBUSA...

Old 01-06-2016, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Mercedes has a interior protection package from DuPont - you're dealer should have offered to do that for free - if you had that concern with light interior.

Two things -

1) your MB was a dealer trade vehicle from another dealer - I can guarantee you that your MB with 102 miles did not come off the MB truck from Vance.

2) To me - seems both your salesman and his mgr are good "actors" - everything got prepped and all good-to-go - and then they go "gee whiz we didn't realize that".
There have never been "ginger beige" dash/door-panels-center-console - or any beige color ever for those dash/panels/console - yes, they "knew" that.

Keep the beat !
Old 01-06-2016, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Mercedes ML350 4Matic AMG Line, 2013 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro, 2012 Volkswagen Touareg V6 SEL
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
To me - seems both your salesman and his mgr are good "actors" - everything got prepped and all good-to-go - and then they go "gee whiz we didn't realize that".
Sadly have to agree with the above, but didn't want to say it first.

Yes, based on your Build Sheet, they should have mentioned "Ginger Beige" first, being the primary interior color (As it is shown in the Combination options attachment). This is straight up "intentionally" misleading and dishonest. I honestly would have asked for a new car or like $2000 cashback or options for that money. I would give it a try still, seeing that the car is fresh and that your are genuinely unhappy.

Even if lighter interior did get a fancy DuPont protection package (Whereby the seats remain Beige without a stain, magically forever) it just doesn't look as "exclusive" or "high end" as the darker interiors do. Subjective I know - but those are my 2 cents.

Can you get the dealer to pay for hypnotherapy, to like it more?

Last edited by battlecat; 01-06-2016 at 02:18 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Defender 90/360 Modena/2012 MLBTC on order
Please explain the two "running board" charges...$1320 ??
No HK ??????????
Old 01-06-2016, 06:26 AM
skw

2019 GLS450
Mercedes has a interior protection package from DuPont - you're dealer should have offered to do that for free - if you had that concern with light interior.

Two things -

1) your MB was a dealer trade vehicle from another dealer - I can guarantee you that your MB with 102 miles did not come off the MB truck from Vance.

2) To me - seems both your salesman and his mgr are good "actors" - everything got prepped and all good-to-go - and then they go "gee whiz we didn't realize that".
There have never been "ginger beige" dash/door-panels-center-console - or any beige color ever for those dash/panels/console - yes, they "knew" that.

Keep the beat !
As for the interior protection pkg, that was mentioned while in the finance office Tuesday evening, we didn't see the car until it arrived on Saturday. They offered for us to "come in at anytime to have the interior cleaned". Only had it 3 days and was already back there yesterday so I'm going to be a pain in their rear. I will bring up about the int protection. I must admit, sounds like their acting did work at the moment. I'm almost curious now as to where it really came from. If I had purchased to keep, might have refused delivery. Being a lease, thought process was that it's only temporary.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:47 AM
skw

2019 GLS450
Originally Posted by Waykool plantz
Please explain the two "running board" charges...$1320 ??
No HK ??????????
That may be a question for Fabbrisd1. You get charged an extra $670 for the lighting kit on the running boards, on top of the initial cost for them. It's nice, but I wouldn't spec/pay for them. I think a more beneficial option for the same money would be rear heated seats. Had H/K in prev ML, tried to see if we could do w/o it time. Wouldn't be doing that again. Standard sound system is "ok", H/K is much better and worth the $875.

One thing I do miss is having the illuminated door sills which I think were dropped in place of the MB crest/logo projected from the side mirrors. I prefer the former. Seems like a ML to GLE thing instead of a missing option/pkg.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:57 AM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
My suggestion would be to book an appointment with the owner of the dealership (not the manager), and explain your troubles(come prepared with names/etc), the sooner, the better. Always hold the 'call MBUSA' in you back pocket, letting the owner try and fix things up. I'm sure the dealership does not want a call going out to MBUSA, just give them a chance...! Stand firm, listen to what might be offered, but again, STAND FIRM! If the dealership has any good sense, they will make it right! Always take names, times, offers, events and note them on your Phone/Ipad whatever. Always do that in front of the person! That way, they will know you mean business. Be Respectful, and remember, there's always that 5% in every crowd. PITA, but it can work out well!
good luck
Old 01-07-2016, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
You should have walked away from the car and asked them to get you the car you really like. Unless you have signed the insurance papers and signed the delivery papers the car is still NOT YOURS. I learned from experience that before I even see the financial manager and insurance agent I tell my salesman to show me the car first and let me go through the car for 15-20 minutes with my fingers touching everything on the car before I see any documents that is saying I am selling 1/4 of my soul to MB. That way if I see anything wrong with it I just tell him fix it first or get me a different car with the same option before I give them the rest of my money.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:05 AM
skw

2019 GLS450
Originally Posted by Koenig1
My suggestion would be to book an appointment with the owner of the dealership (not the manager), and explain your troubles(come prepared with names/etc), the sooner, the better. Always hold the 'call MBUSA' in you back pocket, letting the owner try and fix things up. I'm sure the dealership does not want a call going out to MBUSA, just give them a chance...! Stand firm, listen to what might be offered, but again, STAND FIRM! If the dealership has any good sense, they will make it right! Always take names, times, offers, events and note them on your Phone/Ipad whatever. Always do that in front of the person! That way, they will know you mean business. Be Respectful, and remember, there's always that 5% in every crowd. PITA, but it can work out well!
good luck
I did this (ended up being the general sales manager though)...

And they made good on this w/o me even suggesting it, including a loaner on the spot. Includes a 7yr warranty on the interior and exterior (7rs on a 3yr lease? Marketing ploy as a markup for the next buyer when/if I trade it back into them?). So I am content for now and again, will know better next time what to pay attention to or as last resort, refuse delivery.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:20 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
GLS450
Does anyone have any pics of the 114 Espresso Brown with a polar white exterior?
Old 02-20-2016, 12:00 PM
skw

2019 GLS450

I have yet to see it in person but this is a published pic.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:25 PM

GLS450
Originally Posted by skw

I have yet to see it in person but this is a published pic.
This does not look like 114 Espresso Brown. Where did you get this pic?
Old 02-20-2016, 12:33 PM

GLS450
Originally Posted by jerome8283
This does not look like 114 Espresso Brown. Where did you get this pic?
I see your pic online. I found what looks more like 114 Espresso Brown MB-TEX. Maybe its the lighting that makes the pic look different?
Attached Thumbnails Made the switch, ML to GLE (a few issues...)-new-2016-mercedes-benz-gle-rwd4drgle350-6714-14305446-4-640.jpg  
Old 02-20-2016, 02:11 PM
skw

2019 GLS450
Certainly a difference in the lighting. Just having the parts that we do have in espresso brown, you can easily tell that the entire interior would look good with it.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:38 PM

GLS450
I'm seeing so much variation online. I believe there are different flavors of expresso brown. I think it's the MB-TEX espresso brown vs. the leather variant espresso brown. Or, maybe there's a third flavor I'm seeing.

Unfortunately my dealer doesn't have 114 Espresso Brown on the lot, yet.