M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

New Owner 2015 ML350 4 Matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 10:00 PM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
New Owner 2015 ML350 4 Matic

I have a question about the 4 wheel drive system on the ML. I have owned Honda Pilots which were primarily front wheel drive then go to 4 wheel drive when needed. Next I had an Infiniti FX37 which was primarily rear wheel drive with the front wheels activated when needed.

Which one is the ML350? I have read numerous articles but cannot figure it out. One reason I am asking the tire rotation is different if the car is primarily rear wheel drive vs Front wheel drive.

2nd question has to do with the automatic brake activation. Sometime when I start the car up , I get a symbol in the speedo area which shows this system is not activated. I am confused. I read on this site that the auto braking function only activates when you apply the brakes and then the computer senses you are not stopping fast enough. How can you test it? Need help understanding this. I have spoken to other ML drivers and no one seems to understand the function and the warning light.

Sorry if these have been answered somewhere else but I have search the site for info on these issues.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts
2019 E300
The 4matic system applies power to all 4 wheels and shifts torque around as needed.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 ML350 BlueTec
I have a 2013 ML350 Bluetec but I think its the same as 4matic when it comes to 4 wheel drive.

It applies power to all 4 wheels and shifts torque between all 4 wheels when needed. So if your stuck in the snow or sand, it will give power to whichever wheel isnt spining. I'm not sure if it will give 100% to that wheel, but I dont see why it wouldnt. However, when youre on the highway cruising, most of the power goes to the front wheels. If youre on the highway and your right front and back wheels hit something slippery like snow or leaves, as part of the stability control, power will be reduced to those wheels and be sent to the left wheels. I would imagine if you "drag race", on takeoff, most power will be sent to rear wheels first. So, its neither RWD, nor FWD , however, its both.

On my car, in the setting menu, you can turn on and off some of the safety features. My car doesnt actually brake for your, it gives off a warning beep to WAKE YOU UP!!!! However, the system will apply more braking power once you start to brake in order to stop the car, or at least, reduce the impact. The seat belts will tighten up, and windows will close to prepare for impact. I think this is called braking assist, vs. active braking (when the cars auto brakes).

A way to test this is to set up an fake soft target and let the car's radar work. (maybe a sheet between two cones at 35mph).