M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Trying to train my ML350 like a puppy

Old 05-18-2016, 10:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 ML350 BlueTec
Trying to train my ML350 like a puppy

Hi all,

As most of you know, ML350 Bluetec suffers from turbo lag. I tend to notice it most in street driving where I'm cruising at around 35mph, brake , then hard acceleration. This happens almost every day when your behind cab, he stops and you need to brake, then get around him quickly before the car on your right slams into you. Also, when merging onto highway traffic after coming off a turning ramp.

So, is it possible to train the transmission (resetting adaptive transmission) and use the paddle shifters to keep higher rpm in the first 3 or 4 gears (where the power band is)? Basically, run higher revs in street driving, and when on the highways, low rpm to save fuel.

I've reset my transmission and for the first 40 shiftpoints, tried to train it to hold gears longer in lower gears (shift around 3,100 rmp), and around 2,200rpm when going on the highway. Not sure if i'm missing something, and not sure if I can use shifters for the adaptive transmission.

I have notice that the shift points for 1st and 2nd revs higher, but 3rd and 4th still shifts in lower rpm.

I need to reset and drive around a bit more, but has anyone done this , and would it help the turbo lag in street traffic?