M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

3rd party trailer hitch and warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 ML350
3rd party trailer hitch and warranty

I have 2012 CPO and I love everything about it except that it didn't come with a trailer hitch. If I went ahead and put a 3rd party hitch like the CURT 13117 hitch myself, would that void the warranty? I was reading the instructions and it calls for trimming the heat shield and that made me nervous. Thanks for any inputs.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:05 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
I installed a Curt in both my 2011 GLK and my 2015 ML350 BT. No real problems.... Trimming the heat shield is a piece of cake, although if I remember correctly, I installed an extra sheet metal screw or 2 to make sure the shield stayed put. The MOST IMPORTANT item is SUPPORTING THE DEF TANK! Others, including hitch dealers have just let the tank 'hang' after removing lower support, and have run into expensive troubles replacing the DEF stuff. A standard Curt wiring module (forgotten # now) was all that was needed for a 4way trailer connector. You will need to expose a fair amount of trunk cover/ rear hatch plate/ right & left taillight wiring harness bays/battery under right rear seat/rubber bung in spare tire area to wire up correctly, but not to difficult. Please be aware you will not have the intricacy of a factory hitch module, monitoring sway, etc., but a hitch that will tow most anything, effortlessly, given the Bluetec.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:11 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
Still can't think of the Curt wiring module, but the module needed its own power feed taken from the right rear seat battery. Please use a proper fuse. In fact, I think the module came with it.... about $40.>50.Can for the module. Take it slow and things will work out fine... not a 1/2 hr job!
Old 06-22-2016, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 ML350
Thanks I appreciate the feed back. I have a gas version so no adblue tank to support but i will def support the mufflers. And honestly I'm just going to be putting my bicycle rack on the hitch. I don't plan on doing any hauling so no wiring will be needed. I'm just more concern about the dealer not honoring the warranty due to me cutting the heat shield.