M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

W166 Sports Plus One Front License Frame

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 02:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
'76 240D (inactive), '79 240D (inactive), '14 ML350 Blue Tec (Active), '22 GLB250 (Active)
W166 Sports Plus One Front License Frame

Recently picked-up a '14 ML350 BT 4Matic with Option 421 – Sport Package Plus One, giving me an AMG Style Front Bumper. This vehicle did not have a front license frame installed however the dealer did give me one as I departed and headed back to NH. Over the past two weeks I’ve been reviewing the various posts on this site where most say don't allow the Dealer to drill holes in the Front Bumper. I have Option 996 Parking Assist Package or PARKTRONIC so I believe the Tow Hook Screw-in Type License Bracket might conflict with the front sensor.

I’ve attached a couple of slides showing the backside of the MB Plastic License Frame. If I were to go ahead and let the Dealer mount that frame they would (Slide # 1 – Green Arrows) drill (4) holes into the Bumper, affix the Frame to the Bumper by inserting the molded locking posts into the upper (2) holes then probably use a self-tapping screw with washer for the lower (2) mounting areas.

The best option I’ve found is (Slide #2) to remove/cut-off the molded locking posts (Yellow Arrow) and install 3M’s Super Strength Molding Tape, Part Number: 03615, under the frame's lip that sits on top of the bumper and to add a small amount on the lower support posts (Red Arrows). You can get a 7/8” X 5 ft. roll, seems Auto Zone keeps it in stock. Read once you use it the plastic frame will be bonded, really bonded to the bumper then it’s a simple task to attach the license plate.

If anyone had gone this route I’d be interested in any feedback. THANK YOU
Attached Thumbnails W166 Sports Plus One Front License Frame-slide1.jpg   W166 Sports Plus One Front License Frame-slide2.jpg  
Old 06-24-2016, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
If it becomes "bonded, really bonded" what's the difference between that and just properly mounting the plate fixture?
Old 06-25-2016, 07:20 AM

'76 240D (inactive), '79 240D (inactive), '14 ML350 Blue Tec (Active), '22 GLB250 (Active)
In reading the posts about Front License Mounts most say to avoid the Dealer drilling holes in the Chrome Bumper, I believe the concern is future Corrosion possibilities. During a typical Dealer Installation holes are created so the molded locking posts (Slide # 2 - Yellow Arrows) can be inserted + I believe two additional lower penetrations are created with self tapping screws/washers. The 3M Tape approach does not require any drilling/holes. The reason for my post, has anyone else used the 3M Tape, normally referred to as "Automotive Attachment Tape". I've read some people use the tape to re-attach side view mirrors or attach rear spoilers.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:30 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
My own .02!!! Using any tape to hang a plate is asking for trouble, if you visit any kind of car wash! Car wash facilities tend to tear off even bolted down plates and holders....! LOL!
Old 06-26-2016, 10:22 AM

Sorry, I only use Touchless Car Washes, I learned the hard way back in 1976 after picking up a new 240D in California headed to Virginia. Half way thru the trip I used an old fashion Car Wash with the whirling brushes, car dragged on a track, and sure enough, tore off a wiper blade and bent the arm, 4 hours later after visiting a MB Dealer and having it replaced I was on my way. I see how those types of Wash Facilities can bend back plates so I know what you're talking about. I'm a DIY Car Wash & Finish person, using Liquid Glass for the polish/finish. In '99 started using it on my Gold RX300 now @ 258K miles, paint finish looks like I just drove it out of the showroom.

OK, Back to the 3M "Attachment Tape". I see there are a variety of 3M Tape Products, any suggestions on which one would be the best over the plastic license mounting frame would be appreciated. I haven't opened the Super Strength Molding Tape yet, hopefully I'll hear something from someone on this site, maybe a 3M Rep or Chemical Engineer

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...on-Guidelines/
Old 06-26-2016, 06:38 PM

Closing this out from my end. Found the better 3M Automotive Acrylic Plus Attachment Tape # 06384 today, Black Tape with Red 3M peel off jacket. Also picked up the corresponding 3M Automotive Adhesion Promoter # 06396 for Plastic Trim Attachment with 3M Acrylic Foam Tapes. Trimmed off the molded locking posts from the MB Plastic License Plate Frame per a previous posting, made the bumper cutout profile in the MB Plastic Frame larger to allow it to sit directly on top of the chrome Bumper providing a larger footprint for direct contact. Cleaned off all wax from bumper, used Promoter on frame contact points. Good-To-Go looks great, will post again if there's any adhesion issues. The MB License Frame Bracket isn't going anywhere and best of all no holes in the Chrome Bumper. Just remember though, no Dealer Curtesy Washes or Mechanical Car Washes, only hand wash.

Found more material on the 3M Attachment Tapes:

http://go.3m.com/attachment-tapes
Attached Thumbnails W166 Sports Plus One Front License Frame-img_6868-2-.jpg  

Last edited by SRNH; 07-04-2016 at 07:36 AM.