M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

OM642 Diesel - Turbo Whistle Under Acceleration?

Old 07-30-2016, 11:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63
OM642 Diesel - Turbo Whistle Under Acceleration?

Wondering if some whistle noise is normal for the OM642 diesel under acceleration? Notice is especially when accelerating between 80 and 110km/h.
The following users liked this post:
MBSang (07-31-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 07:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
I would say that is not normal--the first thing I would do is visit a dealer and ask if there is a TSB(technical service bulletin) on the subject!!
Old 08-01-2016, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML 350 BT
Never notice on mine.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
The only time I've ever heard a hint of a turbo whistle from the OM642 was when standing outside of the car and it driving by at 3500 rpm in first gear (and that was much quieter than the diesel clatter). It is definitely not normally audible inside the cabin at any revs or speed.

While you may be hearing some wind or tire noise at those speeds, none should be originating from the motor. If there is a whistling noise coming form the engine, it is likely due to a problem or defect (you could have some kind of manifold / gasket leak or a problem withthe turbo). These would be more detectable at lower speeds though - it's the engine speed that matters, not the vehicle speed so when you're moving more slowly and thus have less wind or tire noise you could hear it more easily. If you are only hearing it at highway speeds, chances are it's tire or wind noise. Every time I get on the 407, the ML tires start singing a loud soprano passage...
Old 04-18-2017, 09:16 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by Diabolis
The only time I've ever heard a hint of a turbo whistle from the OM642 was when standing outside of the car and it driving by at 3500 rpm in first gear (and that was much quieter than the diesel clatter). It is definitely not normally audible inside the cabin at any revs or speed.

While you may be hearing some wind or tire noise at those speeds, none should be originating from the motor. If there is a whistling noise coming form the engine, it is likely due to a problem or defect (you could have some kind of manifold / gasket leak or a problem withthe turbo). These would be more detectable at lower speeds though - it's the engine speed that matters, not the vehicle speed so when you're moving more slowly and thus have less wind or tire noise you could hear it more easily. If you are only hearing it at highway speeds, chances are it's tire or wind noise. Every time I get on the 407, the ML tires start singing a loud soprano passage...
Roughly a year later and I still haven't gotten rid of the issue. Turbo has been replaced to no avail.

I sent it back to the shop and they are now waiting for a new manifold from Germany. Hopefully that fixed it.

Other than a few annoying squeaks that still aren't fixed, and this whistle issue, the car is pretty good.