M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Turbo Info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 06:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ML550
Turbo Info

First a little background... I took my 2013 ML550 in today for 50,000mi checkup, my first time taking it to the dealership since I bought it in May. Don't know how but I lucked out with the original service rep who took care of it with the original owner.
So I told him that I had owned a couple previous cars that had turbos go bad and need replacing. I also work on high performance marine engines and turbo's so I understand how finicky turbos can be and how easily they can overheat and crack. I asked if there is anything I can do from my end and/or preventative maintenance I can do to ensure a longer life of the turbos (i.e. fuel or oil additives). He said that the turbos in the gas MB engines are very solid and should last almost as long as the engine. He said he has had very few and heard of very few issues with the turbos. The MB diesel turbos on the other hand, have be known to overheat and get broken fins or cracked housing eventually. As for additives, he said the only thing he recommends is a fuel additive. Chevron Techron complete system cleaner (not just for the turbo engines but for all MB gas engines). Take it for what it's worth, just thought I'd share.

P.S. As for the validity of the dealership, I pass by two other MB dealerships to go to this one due to it's widespread stellar reputation and customer service.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:15 PM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
'14 ML350, '13 C220 CDI, '07 C280, '98 ML320
How does Chevron Techron fuel additive help with longevity of turbo?
Old 10-22-2016, 10:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ML550
Apologies, totally separate topics. I originally asked about turbo longevity, then asked about fuel or oil additives (some oil additives are good for turbos bc they are gear driven, cooled and lubricated by oil). So later on he said "As for additives, the only thing I recommend is Chevron Techron for fuel."
Old 10-23-2016, 06:58 PM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
'14 ML350, '13 C220 CDI, '07 C280, '98 ML320
Originally Posted by Allen77
Apologies, totally separate topics. I originally asked about turbo longevity, then asked about fuel or oil additives (some oil additives are good for turbos bc they are gear driven, cooled and lubricated by oil). So later on he said "As for additives, the only thing I recommend is Chevron Techron for fuel."
That makes sense. :-)

Turbos have come a long way during the past couple of decades; including their reliability.

If given a choice, I prefer naturally aspirated engine. However small the maintenance is for turbos, it's still more than a naturally aspirated engine.