M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

ML550 2014 V8 Biturbo Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
No... that's part of the point I was trying to make. If you put a s/c, springs and a bbk, that's not ricing it out - those are performance mods and I am 110% behind that even if the vehicle is not something that I would choose.

I like Frank's brothers BTW... mine is not an S though.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
Sorry to OP for going off topic

I luv that color ! I did stage IV byDesign...
http://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo...rip-video.html

Last edited by Nanook; 11-03-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
My apologies to the OP and everyone else for going off-topic as well. Glad to see the P-car at the strip! Having written off a car at the track when I was young and stupid (OK... when I was young), I am too much of a chicken to drive any of the more expensive toys at 10/10ths when they do get some track time, which they all do on occasion... that's what disposable track rats (and diesel tow mules) are for!

Old 11-03-2016, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
Looks like a blast ��
...I want to see a 9.x outta my Turbo and that will be the last strip visit for him ..
Old 11-03-2016, 11:43 PM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
You tube in Russian replacing/installing Exhaust tips

Looks like this Russian changed his ML350 non exposed exhaust with a AMG rear bumper and exposed exhaust. Is possible.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Seems like this threat has been all over the place and I agree with others that Diabolis response was over the top.

Understand his reasoning but his assumptions are off to say the very least. An ML SUV elegant? I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Not showing the exhaust is not really a statement of elegance. To some extent it's old school 1990/early 2000 MB design or to identify small engine MB models.
Some W205's just have a chrome swirl or all out fake exhaust tips and even the current W222 S-Class (see S300H or S350) have it.
Simply ugly.

The W166 ML was somewhat of an oddball as the older ML and newer GLE all have the exhaust showing. It's exhaust-less bumper is a low-point on the cars design IMO.

Don't go fake AMG, but a GLE bumper would be a nice upgrade
Old 11-06-2016, 09:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
ML550
To the OP.

I agree with you completely.

I just bought a used 2014 ML550 and I cannot stand the fact the tailpipes are hidden.

Obviously Mercedes realized what a mistake it was and the exposed tailpipes are back in the new GLE.

I disagree with "Diabolis" as I don't see how having a hidden tailpipe is somehow more elegant and more mature????

I am way over 50 and frankly the thing that bugs me the most about my 550 is the lack of exhaust sound and the hidden tailpipes.

My previous daily driver was a 2008 Audi S6 and I just love the exhaust note.

So I guess Diabolis wont be buying the new GLE as is not longer elegant and mature with that exposed tailpipe ..... oh the horror.

Last edited by mb33660; 11-06-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mb33660
To the OP.

I agree with you completely.

I just bought a used 2014 ML550 and I cannot stand the fact the tailpipes are hidden.

Obviously Mercedes realized what a mistake it was and the exposed tailpipes are back in the new GLE.

I disagree with "Diabolis" as I don't see how having a hidden tailpipe is somehow more elegant and more mature????

I am way over 50 and frankly the thing that bugs me the most about my 550 is the lack of exhaust sound and the hidden tailpipes.

My previous daily driver was a 2008 Audi S6 and I just love the exhaust note.

So I guess Diabolis wont be buying the new GLE as is not longer elegant and mature with that exposed tailpipe ..... oh the horror.
Indeed... the horror. Yet, I guess mine is nothing in comparison to yours. I mean, if for the sake of argument I did think the GLE not elegant and mature with the exposed tailpipes (whch btw I never said), at least I still have a choice not to buy one. You on the other hand cannot stand the fact the tailpipes are hidden on the car *you just bought* and is what bugs you the most about it. You poor thing... having to endure this suffering and constantly keep reliving the poor choice you made - you bought the car you can't stand after all - is nothing short of a tragedy of Greek proportions... I mean, the pain must be so unbearable that I am amazed that you havent taken your own life yet. You even created a user account on MBWorld in order to share your desperate cry for help in your very first post on the board. I feel for you.

Now, can we all please get back to reality? I get it - it's a matter of taste and what appeals to me obviously does not appeal to everyone else. What is troubling however is that (a) some of you here bought a car that you dislike, and that (b) somehow my distaste for aftermerket ricey mods that do nothing for the performance of the vehicle completely got misinterpreted and has furthermore become the focus of the thread. I don't know why you feel you must justify your taste... whether I think you have any taste or not is completely immaterial. Just like I am not going to convince you that tailpipes that actually do nothing are ricey, you're not going to convinvce me that Mercedes somehow made a huge design error and that exposed tailpipes on the ML550 are the missing ingredient to an otherwise fine car (which I think is fine as is). Can we all agree to disagree and move along?
Old 11-08-2016, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Diabolis
Indeed... the horror. Yet, I guess mine is nothing in comparison to yours. I mean, if for the sake of argument I did think the GLE not elegant and mature with the exposed tailpipes (whch btw I never said), at least I still have a choice not to buy one. You on the other hand cannot stand the fact the tailpipes are hidden on the car *you just bought* and is what bugs you the most about it. You poor thing... having to endure this suffering and constantly keep reliving the poor choice you made - you bought the car you can't stand after all - is nothing short of a tragedy of Greek proportions... I mean, the pain must be so unbearable that I am amazed that you havent taken your own life yet. You even created a user account on MBWorld in order to share your desperate cry for help in your very first post on the board. I feel for you.

Now, can we all please get back to reality? I get it - it's a matter of taste and what appeals to me obviously does not appeal to everyone else. What is troubling however is that (a) some of you here bought a car that you dislike, and that (b) somehow my distaste for aftermerket ricey mods that do nothing for the performance of the vehicle completely got misinterpreted and has furthermore become the focus of the thread. I don't know why you feel you must justify your taste... whether I think you have any taste or not is completely immaterial. Just like I am not going to convince you that tailpipes that actually do nothing are ricey, you're not going to convinvce me that Mercedes somehow made a huge design error and that exposed tailpipes on the ML550 are the missing ingredient to an otherwise fine car (which I think is fine as is). Can we all agree to disagree and move along?
Way to go. What a nice way to welcome somebody new to the board...

If fake exhaust tips are "Ricey" to you then MB has been the supreme ricer since every MB model with exposed exchaust pipes have fake, non-connected tips.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nanook
Diabolis have you ever owned..driven or even rode in an ML63 like mine tuned by Renntech to 650 hp ?...It fits in my garage nicely beside my 750 whp Turbo S and ZR1 and provides outstanding performance and comfort for winter driving duties..you see the theme here ?

Always love looking at your pics. Cleanest cars I have ever seen
Old 11-08-2016, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Way to go. What a nice way to welcome somebody new to the board...

If fake exhaust tips are "Ricey" to you then MB has been the supreme ricer since every MB model with exposed exchaust pipes have fake, non-connected tips.
That goes both ways, Sir. How about "What a nice way for mb33660 to introduce himself/herself to the forum"? If (s)he has no axe to grind, why fixate upon their presumption of my horror [*shudder*] at the new GLE? New user... or new troll? Perhaps a new account by one of the same handful of users that have already made their views known?

As for your statement that "every MB model with exposed exchaust pipes ha[s] fake, non-connected tips", you are wrong. While some of the current-generation AMGs have fake tips, all MBs I've had (and I've had several) certainly have had the tips connected to the muffler. As for the current batch... yes, I think they look ricey (like a Lexus IS-F), and so do a lot of other people... but I am not trying to convince anyone else. And yes, for my taste MB is moving in the wrong direction... I also hate the glued "iPad" in the middle of the dash, red seatbelts, cabin mood perfume dispensers, vinly stripes on some of the AMG models and the new AMG x43 vehicles (not the old C43 - that was a real AMG)... and yes, when the time for me to buy my next car comes, I'll vote with my wallet. If I am looking for something with drama, an AMG will certianly be a consideration (actually - I put a down-payment on a GTR about four months before it was even announced)... but I still don't want my DD to look, sound or ride like one. Why is it so hard for you to accept that sneakers go well with shorts and jeans but not with a suit and tie?
Old 11-08-2016, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Diabolis
As for your statement that "every MB model with exposed exchaust pipes ha[s] fake, non-connected tips", you are wrong. While some of the current-generation AMGs have fake tips, all MBs I've had (and I've had several) certainly have had the tips connected to the muffler. As for the current batch... yes, I think they look ricey (like a Lexus IS-F), and so do a lot of other people... but I am not trying to convince anyone else.
Actually, every current MB and all, not just some, AMG's these days have fake tips. The connected exhausts gone with the old models.

Design has moved on and made the tip an extension of the rear bumper/end wether one likes it or not. I suppose you can state the Lexus (which is ugly as sin IMO) but it's a common sight on Lamborghini, Bugatti, McLaren and Ferrari as well. That of course includes the Mercedes AMG GT R. It's the de facto standard in the car world today.

You obviously have very strong feelings about how a car exhaust should or shouldn't look like. I like that and it's cool.

Just extend that courtesy to the others as well.

Last edited by Wolfman; 11-08-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
ML550
Wolfman - no worries. I am a newbie on this forum only because my ML550 is the first Mercedes that I have owned but I have owned lots of other German, Japanese and domestic cars. I am also on lots of other forums and every once in a while I come across guys like Diabolis.

I have seen a lot of over the top responses on other boards but from a non offensive question by the OP - "Not sure why they decided to hide the tailpipes. Wonder if anyone could recommend some after market exhaust treatment, brands, cost pics etc that I may want to add on, but look factory. Not too bold. Clean and neat. Not looking for performance purposes, but rather aesthetics."

The first response from Diabolis is - "They hid the tailpipes because it's an elegant SUV for mature grown-ups, not a ricer made to appeal to teenagers and rednecks. Here are a couple of suggestions for you to consider (while you're presumably also thinking about marrying your sister)... "

He then follows up with this beauty - "As for your relative lack of taste... it's your car, so If you want to rice it out, it's certainly your right - but please don't ask people to aid you with your juvenile request and then call them jerkoffs when they point out that you are being juvenile.". Really .... that response and the first response from Diabolis is much more mature!

I made this my first post because 1) I also do not like the exhaust treatment of my ML550 and 2) that is by far the most over the top offensive response I have seen from a very non offensive first post. The OP was not even directing his original post to Diabolis and in addition to calling the OP names he ends his first response post with suggesting that the OP is thinking about marrying his(sic) sister. Wow I usually see those types of responses when you get much further down into a my car/model is better than your car/model arguments.

Then he offers this in his response to my first post - "Now, can we all please get back to reality? I get it - it's a matter of taste and what appeals to me obviously does not appeal to everyone else. What is troubling however is that (a) some of you here bought a car that you dislike, and that (b) somehow my distaste for aftermerket ricey mods that do nothing for the performance of the vehicle completely got misinterpreted and has furthermore become the focus of the thread. I don't know why you feel you must justify your taste... whether I think you have any taste or not is completely immaterial. Just like I am not going to convince you that tailpipes that actually do nothing are ricey, you're not going to convinvce me that Mercedes somehow made a huge design error and that exposed tailpipes on the ML550 are the missing ingredient to an otherwise fine car (which I think is fine as is). Can we all agree to disagree and move along?"

This is very entertaining I mean he believes that somehow his first response got misinterpreted and I quote that response again - "They hid the tailpipes because it's an elegant SUV for mature grown-ups, not a ricer made to appeal to teenagers and rednecks. Here are a couple of suggestions for you to consider (while you're presumably also thinking about marrying your sister)... ".

If Diabolis had simply stated something like "IMHO opinion the hidden exhaust looks perfect in the ML and is more elegant." then the tread would have stay on point but to call the OP a ricer, redneck and to suggest that he is thinking of marrying his sister ........

I knew when I made my post I would invoke a response from Diabolis and frankly I kinda enjoy poking posters like him.

To the OP as a fellow newbie here and to the world of MB I would suggest that guys like Diabolis are a tiny minority and certainly not reflective of most MB owners.

For me instead of going down to the level of guys like Diabolis and posting a negative reply with name calling etc. I think the best way to deal with guys like him is let his replies stand and let everyone else make their own judgement. I certainly cannot do as good a job as he is doing to paint himself in a bad light.

Last edited by mb33660; 11-08-2016 at 12:02 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mb33660:
Allen77 (01-25-2017), NickW (11-08-2016), sparky123 (08-23-2017)