M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

CPO Purchase Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CPO Purchase Experience

Hi

I just purchase a CPO 2014 ML350 at a Mercedes dealer, Alfano Motocars at San Luis Obispo, California. I want to share my experience and want to ask for advice.

I own 2 BMW before and 1 Lexus SUV prior to this Mercedes Purchase. I have done my research online. I email ahead to the dealership for the exact model I found online at Mercedes CPO website. When I arrive at the dealership, I was shown to that CPO vehicle. I was given a debrief about the car and as I walk around the car I found the car was badly scratched with touch up. However it was very obviously and noticeable. It all 3 area of the left side of the car.

I was later shown to 2 other similar spec CPO vehicle. I told a test drive and later closed the deal and purchase it by the end of the day. During the drive home at night, I noticed the Phone Call End button in Comand Console is damaged. See pic. I didn't see it during the day.

I emailed the sales person immediately the day after. He didn't responds. He finally responded back 2 days after and said it is typical that you find this in a USED vehicle. I actually purchase a CPO vehicle that as outlined in Mercedes Website that it should be scratch and dent free from Appearance inspection both interior and exterior. If I saw the damage, I would not purchase that vehicle at all I saw before I made the purchase.

I'm trying to get it repair at another dealership under CPO. I am trying to escalate and planning to return the car as last resort. I'm pretty upset with this transaction. I should of saw the defeat but I'm more upset about the dealership experience and integrity.

Damaged Phone Call Button!!!!

Last edited by TopazAl; 01-16-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:34 PM

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
2017 GLC300 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
sorry to hear this, ya thats why its usually best to go through a dealer for CPO MBZ dealer rather than an a lot, if anything helps try corporate and see if they can hear your case
Old 01-16-2017, 08:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 VW Golf TDI, 2006 VW Jetta TDI, 2015 Ducati Monster
iirc, CPO is only through MB Dealer. Used car dealerships cannot offer a MB Extended Warranty but only their own third party warranty. That I think is the big difference.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:51 PM

14 ML350
Looks like he bought it a Mercedes-Benz dealer, guys.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 VW Golf TDI, 2006 VW Jetta TDI, 2015 Ducati Monster
Originally Posted by spudpie
Looks like he bought it a Mercedes-Benz dealer, guys.
You are right. Sounds like that dealer does multiple cars.
Found this link. https://www.inventory.mercedes-benz.ca/certified-pre-owned-benefits/
they should fix that for sure. Maybe bring it to another dealer if the one you bought it from isn't doing a thing about it.
we looked at a ml350 and we noticed a few things that needed to be fixed and the sales guy said the entire truck gets detailed and any imperfections get fixed to make it look brand new.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts
2019 E300
Forget the salesman, I would talk to the sales manager and explain the situation.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDI, SL550, clk550
did you inspect before you bought it or did you buy it on line and then went to the dealership for delivery. If you saw the car and bought it anyways it's on you. CPO cars are good but not perfect. It's still a 3 year old car. If you bought it on line and feel the MB dealer misrepresented the condition I do believe you have recourse.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:09 PM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
They should fix it, is the car still under the original 4 year 50,000 mile warranty , if so it should be covered under that warranty for sure, if not I still think it should be covered by the CPO. Also, remind the dealer who sold it to you, that you will be giving him a bad review to the Corporate Mercedes Office when they asked about your experience. Also, the fact that the car was listed on the Mercedes Benz CPO site should give you some weight on solving the issue. It reflects badly on Mercedes who puts their trust in the dealer word on the status and condition of the car.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Hopefully, you get your issue resolved.
Not to hijack your thread...I purchased a 2014 CPO ML350RWD for my wife yesterday. The steering wheel had a small (about 1/8") spot where the rubberized coating was chipped/scratched. This seems to be a common issue with these vehicles, some BMWs and Volkswagens. They said they were going to fix ours and if they couldn't- they would replace that part of the steering wheel.
They also did not provide the roll-up cargo cover and sold us the vehicle for a higher price than advertised on their website and on the MB Certified Inventory Site. Luckily, I've dealt with this dealership for multiple vehicles and they have very strong Customer Service.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
If the car is still on the 4 year new car warranty then no questions ask it should be replaced.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:21 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
14 ML350 4MATIC
Yes, I got mine replaced when I had C class quite awhile ago under 4 year new car warranty. good luck!
Old 01-23-2017, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
One other thing. If you get it replaced easy on the hand lotion as those lotions are one of the culprit in making those soft paint inside our cars peel off. Try also carrying a micro fiber towel and once in a while wipe those buttons you frequently touch to remove the oil which soften up the paint on the panels and makes them peel off overtime. This is more prevalent on cars being driven by ladies as they love putting a lot of slimmy stuff on their hands.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
One other thing. If you get it replaced easy on the hand lotion as those lotions are one of the culprit in making those soft paint inside our cars peel off. Try also carrying a micro fiber towel and once in a while wipe those buttons you frequently touch to remove the oil which soften up the paint on the panels and makes them peel off overtime. This is more prevalent on cars being driven by ladies as they love putting a lot of slimmy stuff on their hands.
^ This... plus some ladies have long fingernails which tend to mechanically scratch the paint from the buttons, and furthermore they are unaware that that particular button is replicated - and much more easily accessed - on the steering wheel.

As far as that button goes, I highly doubt that it can be replaced on its own. It is much more likely that the entire head unit needs to be replaced, which would make it prohibitively expensive for either you or the dealer. If you have a VERY good relationship with the dealer they may let you swap the car for another one - but I highly doubt that they would be willing to fix it free of charge. It's wear and tear... no different from creases in the seats, a door ding or two or stone chips on the front of the car.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:11 PM

'14 GL350, '14 ML350
My CPO exerience

I've purchased 2 CPO vehicles in the past 6 months. The first one, a 2014 GL350, was a bit problematic in that I bought it from the middle of the US and drove back 2000 miles to my home state of WA. At issue was the paint repair quality. The selling dealer went cheap and the work showed. Pictures are hosted here.

When I arrived home I contacted the sales manager who politely told me that though he felt bad, he couldn't justify fixing the paint. I turned it around and explained that I knew that someone's signature was on the CPO report and that they had signed off on the paint quality. That turned the conversation HUGELY in my favor.

I said "we both have legitimate concerns. Let's game this scenario out".

I'll complain to Mercedes and you'll have to respond. I'll then complain to your State Attorney General's office and you'll have to respond. I'll follow that up with Better Business Bureau. Then I'll start with social media because I see your business is active there. "Do you see where this is going?" I asked. I'm retired and have plenty of time. "Does your dealership have someone on staff fulltime to deal with things like this?"

I then suggested that we both had better things to do and that it was time to put on our big boy pants. I told was completely pleased with the car except for the paint. If they would only authorize and pay a Mercedes-qualified paint shop in my area to fix it I'd be satisfied. I had an estimate in pocket and sent it to him. He complained a bit about the price of $2700. The shop had told me to have him call. He did and got $700 knocked off as a Mercedes Dealer.

The local shop fixed all of the problems and the GL looks wonderful.

The 2014 ML350 we purchased last week came from a local dealer. It should be fine.