Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comand frozen on MB logo but audio working

Old 08-27-2014, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLK350
Comand frozen on MB logo but audio working

HELP!!! Please!

My 2006 CLK350 comand unit is basically useless. When I turn on my car the Mercedes logo appears on the screen but it just gets stuck there. The Audio works, so I can hear whatever radio station it is on and I can adjust the volume and turn the unit on and off but thats it. None of the other buttons on the comand unit work. Also, all the steering wheel controls for the audio system don't work. I can adjust the pages and scroll through the options with the steering wheel buttons on the left but when I get to the radio page it does show the radio station but it won't let me adjust the station or the volume. Something I also noticed is that when I click to get to the page that is supposed to be for Navigation, it doesn't switch to that page, just stays on the page it is on. It needs another click and it goes to the next page instead (I'm assuming this is because the Navigation hasn't initialised or something so it has nothing to show for that page). Lastly, when I press the eject button on the face of the comand unit, it does get the screen to go down, but when I press the eject DVD button, it doesn't eject it, but instead takes about 5 seconds and then beeps twice.

I've tried pulling the fuse out for the comand unit and no luck. I've pulled the comand unit out to see if there are any loose connections in the back and no luck there as well.

A little more history to try and be as thorough as possibl in hope this makes sense to someone out there. This problem started in the winter with the unit turning on just fine but then about 5 or 10 minutes into my ride, it would shut off and then just get stuck on the MB logo but with the audio working(like it is now). Sometimes it would stay stuck for a day or two but then just come back on its own. I tested pulling the fuse or disconnecting the battery back then and that worked consistently then. The automatic resetting/freezing continued but slowly the times it stayed off got longer and longer until the point where it is now where it won't turn on at all anymore, even when I pull the fuse or disconnect the battery. The dvd not ejecting was something that was always an issue as long as it was frozen, but the times that the unit came on properly I was able to eject the DVD just fine.

I took it to the dealer, they charged me for a software upgrade but I came in with it frozen and left with it frozen and they just told me it didn't work. (I assume if the unit is frozen, there is no way to update the software until you get it unfrozen so I think I got ripped off because I don't think they could have done anything with it being in the state it is in). They told me they're not sure what it is but think replacing the unit may help, FOR $3000!!! That is just way too expensive of a "test" to see if it helps. I looked online for used ones and see they can run around $900, and I definitely could do it myself, but again, that is really expensive for a "test" to see if its just the comand that needs to be replaced and not some other glitch, loose wire, other possibility.

I really don't think the comand needs to be replaced considering it was working on and off in the past and the fact that the radio is still working and even tells the instrument console what radio station it is on. But I'm obviously no expert in these things. I keep thinking it is having problems connected to the GPS system, or the steering wheel, or getting the DVD started, or something like that which is causing it to reset and/or have problems initializing and getting booted up properly.

Any help, suggestion, experience with this kind of problem, etc. would be Greatly appreciated!!!
Old 08-27-2014, 12:21 PM

05 clk320
logical troubleshot is to try the unit in another vehicle. would have to be a very good friend! might be a cheapr test to have the dealer try this and pay the time.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:50 PM

2006 CLK350
Thats a pretty good idea. I definitely can try that and will try to find someone.

Any other more technical debugging items I can do though if I can't find someone with a compatible CLK or the dealer doesn't have one or isn't willing to do that?
Old 08-28-2014, 07:59 AM

2006 CLK350
Update:

I got bold last night, took out the Comand unit and started investigating. I took the Comand unit apart and have narrowed the problem down to the dvd navigation module of the comand unit. When I remove this module, the Comand unit starts up just fine and everything works great with the exception of the Nav and Maps sections, being blank, the instrument console gives me an error saying tele-aid missing, and I'm not able to adjust the time. All those make sense considering its this Nav piece and its what connects to the antenna.

I was able to take out the dvd manually by activating the DVD module motor with an external power supply but I don't see anything visibly wrong with the components inside.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement DVD module (I'm imaginining this is much cheaper than getting the whole Comand unit) or know how to debug the issue from here?
Old 08-28-2014, 08:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK250
Originally Posted by lazyj81
I took the Comand unit apart and have narrowed the problem down to the dvd navigation module of the comand unit.
Awesome troubleshooting, the dealer should hire you...

Only thought I have is clean the module with a q tip and alcohol, look for a replacement. There should be a service center for these units??
Old 08-28-2014, 10:18 AM

2006 CLK350
Service Center would be great. I need to find one in my area. Any suggestions for how to locate someone good to take care of Comand units and/or the DVD module like this?

As for cleaning it, while I was taking it apart, I did it in steps and tested it regularly to get a better sense of what was working and what wasn't. It seems like the module just never kicks on. It was accepting the DVD but the electronics just won't kick on (which would also explain why everything is crapping out with the nav and when its connected). It does get power (lights turn on, DVD acceptance motor turns on, etc.) but from an electrical standpoint it's just stuck somewhere.

I noticed there are pins for what looks like jumpers on the back of the module. Anyone know what these are for? Can I reset the unit with a specific jumper setting? Hoping it will just reset a MCU, delete the memory, whatever and get it to start functioning again.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:50 PM

05 clk320
Wow! Great Job!

Might be some trouble to get the module, but if you can dig up the manufacturer, you have a shot. That should be easier than what you have already done. Manufacturer may have a repair center. They might speak German...translate to email, maybe
Old 11-25-2014, 08:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
2005 C230K SS
OP, did you ever resolve this? Having the same predicament at the moment...