Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member 2000 CLK 430 Cab with a small problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 430 CLK Convertable
New member 2000 CLK 430 Cab with a small problem

I own a 2000 clk I was putting in LED's in the interior dome light and i shorted out the fixture for a few seconds. The interior lights stay on all the time. It never times out it just stays on no matter what. The button to turn the door lights located under the door work fine. They turn on and off when I open the door and they go off when five minutes go by. The lights above the visors go off and on as well as they are supposed to. So does the trunk light. during this whole time none of the fuses popped. Iam trying to find out if there is a relay that operates the dimmer. If that is the case then that is where I figure where the problem is. Does anyone know if the control is somewhere else besides in the dome light assembly?
Old 12-01-2015, 03:53 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Welcome to MBWorld

Does it turn off properly with your standard halogen bulb? Are you sure it's not power bleed? LEDs don't take much to power up and this is a common issue with cheaper units that don't have built in resistors. Many think canbus units are only necessary for exterior to get around error codes, but are also very useful for interior specifically for this reason as the added resistance will help offset any residual power in the interior.

You can take a meter to the socket to see if the current level is dropping and how low it drops to. If you did damage the control module then would be a more complicated fix.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 430 CLK Convertable

These are the bulbs I put in. I put the originals back in and they still stay on no matter what.

Where is the control module? Is it in the dome light unit?
Old 12-01-2015, 05:10 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
If you put the original halogen bulbs back in and they're still doing this then you might have a bigger issue. Unfortunately, I'm not as familiar with w208 wiring to say where the control module is located.