M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

2004 ML 350 advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml 350
2004 ML 350 advice

I have owned my Mercedes for close to a year now with very few issues but I am anxious to handle most of my repairs and maintenance personally as I am planning on keeping it in the family for many years.

I am seeking advice on resources which will help me learn more about my ML 350. How to publications or videos which would help me manage most of my simple repairs and maintenance is my focus.

I have a problem now with my ML 350 going into a limp mode, vapor locking or something like this which only happens if I fully accelerate while highway driving. If I press the accelerator to the floor, the vehicle remains starved for gas AFTER and only after I accelerate like this until I urn off the ignition which resets the issue and returns everything to normal. The ML will continue to run but you need to throttle up gently every time you attempt to accelerate and the best way to describe it is that it seems to be vapor locking. It will accelerate, but you must press ever so lightly on the pedal, best to mildly fluctuate it, until it picks up and then runs normal until you decelerate and you need to start the process over again. Turning the truck off ALWAYS eliminates the problem.

It starts 100 percent, idles 100% and accelerates 100 % . Issue only surfaces when hammering it full throttle in a passing situation. It accelerates perfectly but when you attempt to accelerate subsequently it will not unless you nurse the throttle or pull off the road and turn the key off, resetting the system seemingly.

I have been told it could be the fuel filter, fuel pump, 02 sensor, mass air flow sensor or throttle actuator. Any help is appreciated.

I am planning on replacing the fuel filter next week as an obvious place to start but I am unable to find any on line videos showing the filter location.

Thanks for the help in advance
Old 04-29-2016, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 715 Likes on 696 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W163 forum...