Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member old reader. First benz

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 CLK55 AMG hi mile budget muscle car
New member old reader. First benz

Hi all just picked up a rough around the edges clk55. Adore it. Previous owners forgot it wasn't a Honda. Worked on Mercedes some. Cars a LOT. Garage includes a mini cooper s, Saturn Ion Redline and miata. My list for my 183k w209 so far is...
trans fluid/filter (prevantative)
Fix the botched fuel pump/sender install that is pouring out fuel and preventing any gauge reading...
Fix/rewire the head unit install.... Wires visible going to the hood fuse box no I'm not kidding
Wheels.... Came with bent factory wheels in rough shape 2 piece chrome. And 19s of some random brand that rubbed and had huge spacers to clear the brakes... They looked good to be honest but drove awful. Already gone. Bent wheel is annoying.
sway bar end.... Screw it all rubber in the front end
Fix seat heaters/lumbar
Loose trim
Headliner and sunroof (have real deal alcantara already)
Oil change
Spark plugs may be coils but not yet
Custom fabbed air intake eventually...
rear brake rotors. Everything else brake wise is perfect
Fix crack with panelbond and have front bumper painted.
Find and replace splashguard.
Diff fluid change
serpentine belt/maybe pulleys and tensioner if reasonable
Replace all pcv lines
Drivers seatbelt
Diagnose maybe replace washer/turnsignal stalk. (May be fuse or bad bulb sockets)
Front wheel bearings
Rear sway bar bushings
Any driveline rubber I can find
new front springs... Someone CUT these. Thank god the bilsteins are still ok
Exhaust.... Was cut off before the muffler after last resonator and flex pipe and tips held up by safety wire. I can't make this up. The "connection" to the y to the tips looks like a roll of rubber hose in between the pipes. Awful. What's incredible is how good it still sounds. Hard to make them sound bad I guess. Totally tolerable on the highway. Drove it 180miles home

Can't think of much else. These seem to be bulletproof cars. Considering how hard someone was on this one I'm impressed how well it still drives! Gorgeous car too... Stock wheels are ugly as sin. Actually they're ok just too small.

thanks for all the help along the way through the years I've read a lot of threads that set me in the right direction! Excited to have a CLK AMG. If I keep it long term, it WILL break the 13 second mark in the quarter if I sell it I won't make a dime because Ill get caught up in making it perfect... And that's a labor of love not profit
Old 02-21-2017, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 715 Likes on 696 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
welcome to mbworld...
that's a lot of work done to the car...