S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

S63 AMG Bad A....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E63S AMG
S63 AMG Bad A....

I was at the dealership picking up my new 507 Editions C63 AMG and this was sitting in the showroom. Such an amazing car and I just can't get over those wheels. Thought I would share some pics.
Attached Thumbnails S63 AMG Bad A....-photo-1.jpg   S63 AMG Bad A....-photo-2.jpg   S63 AMG Bad A....-photo-3.jpg  
Old 03-19-2014, 07:49 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
beautiful!
Old 03-19-2014, 10:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes S550
Now that's a beast!
Old 03-19-2014, 11:25 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Christ.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
beautiful...and some people would rather have a Tesla?
PL
Old 03-19-2014, 12:48 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I do not ever want a black car again
Old 03-20-2014, 10:18 PM

13' CLS550
gorgeous!
Old 03-23-2014, 07:00 PM

2017 GLE350 4Matic
I sat in one a couple of weeks ago when I was picking up my 2014 E350. It's really a beautiful car. If I could swing it, I'd have an Sl or SLS coupe and this beauty parked side by side in the garage. There really isn't a need for anything else!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
I agree it is beautiful but by your statement, I'm not sure if you've driven a Tesla. I was looking at a S550 but after a test drive, I'm pretty much sold on a P85 Tesla Model S. The lack of vibration, noise, the smoothness of the electric motor, and the linear acceleration are almost surreal.

Don't be so sure discounting a Tesla would not appeal to a segment of Mercedes buyers. With all the problems I had with my E550 I could do without having to deal with all the engine and transmission issues I've had to deal with.

At this point the only reason I have not bought the Tesla is lack of AWD. If the Model S was available with AWD I would have bought it. I am a huge Mercedes fan but they need to get their technology together with a 300 mile range electric car, not this BS hybrid nonsense, that can reach 0-60 in about 4 seconds. Otherwise I would not be the only customer Mercedes will loose to Tesla.

If you have not driven a Model S P85, take one out for a test drive. It is staggering what a refined vehicle it is and how much they have got right with that car for a company so new. With all the engine sounds and transmission shifts it seems my E550 is archaic compared to what I experienced with the Tesla. Every morning I start my E550 and I hear the engine putter as it heats up I am reminded that the days of gasoline powered cars are numbered.

Originally Posted by bzliteyear
beautiful...and some people would rather have a Tesla?
PL

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 03-27-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 S550 4Matic, 2016 GLC300 4Matic , 2018 Porsche Panamera 4 E-Hybrid
I would be careful about comparing the E to an S-Class. There are no similarites as to how they perform. The S-Class is so much more refined. I often find myself looking at the display to see what gear I'm in only to find its in 6th or 7th and wondering when did it do that. And with the forthcoming 9 speed, I almost think it's a marketing thing with the current iteration being so smooth.

To be sure the Tesla is a fine vehicle and it's crazy to see how much they got right on the first try. But I still find the interior materials and functionality of the S-Class to be superior, but that's also a bit subjective. Obviously anyone who buys an S-Class could have bought a Tesla and saved a boat load of money. With the 222 build Mercedes has firmly planted itself in the leadership position. For now.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
My hesitance to buy another Mercedes also stems from the vast number of things that had to be fixed, thankfully under warranty. Between the balance shaft issue, transmission hard shift, and a bunch of other mechanical issues the car would have cost an extra $12,000+ in repairs if I didn't have the warranty. Since my E550 shares the same engine with the previous generation S class, I would have had these issues even if I had an S class. At one point the entire engine had to be rebuilt to fix the balance sprocket issue.

If longevity was on my side I might have felt differently but with the transmission, engine, emission control, and all the mechanical parts that can go wrong I am am tired of the cost and hassle of maintaining these cars and with an ell electric drive-train there is so little go go wrong.

With the Tesla the annual "service inspection" is optional and even if you don't take the car in for service, the warranty is still in effect and if I ever get a Tesla it will be a refreshing change.

When I bought my E550, I thought I'd be a Mercedes customer for life and right now if I buy the S550 it is because I can buy it with AWD and not because I consider it the best car out there for me.

And I do realize the S550 is more refined than my E550 and have driven the S550. But with a mechanical engine that needs to detonate tiny amounts of gas to move pistons and then route that energy through a transmission, no matter how well that system is designed you can't match the absolutely silent Model S and instant linear acceleration you get from an electric engine.

I'm still a Mercedes fan and love my car but if you get the chance, test drive a Model S. I was blown away as the Model S is the future of the automobile and it's surprising Mercedes is peddling this BS hybrid nonsense rather than offer a capable all electric S class to compete with the Model S.

It used to be that you drive a S class to see the future of the car but now I'd suggest that you drive a Model S and it's a shame Mercedes has yet to deliver a serious contender to the Model S. I know they have a B class coming but they seem to think electric cars need to be small dinky play things.

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 03-28-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
My hesitance to buy another Mercedes also stems from the vast number of things that had to be fixed, thankfully under warranty. Between the balance shaft issue, transmission hard shift, and a bunch of other mechanical issues the car would have cost an extra $12,000+ in repairs if I didn't have the warranty. Since my E550 shares the same engine with the previous generation S class, I would have had these issues even if I had an S class. At one point the entire engine had to be rebuilt to fix the balance sprocket issue.

If longevity was on my side I might have felt differently but with the transmission, engine, emission control, and all the mechanical parts that can go wrong I am am tired of the cost and hassle of maintaining these cars and with an ell electric drive-train there is so little go go wrong.

With the Tesla the annual "service inspection" is optional and even if you don't take the car in for service, the warranty is still in effect and if I ever get a Tesla it will be a refreshing change.

When I bought my E550, I thought I'd be a Mercedes customer for life and right now if I buy the S550 it is because I can buy it with AWD and not because I consider it the best car out there for me.

And I do realize the S550 is more refined than my E550 and have driven the S550. But with a mechanical engine that needs to detonate tiny amounts of gas to move pistons and then route that energy through a transmission, no matter how well that system is designed you can't match the absolutely silent Model S and instant linear acceleration you get from an electric engine.

I'm still a Mercedes fan and love my car but if you get the chance, test drive a Model S. I was blown away as the Model S is the future of the automobile and it's surprising Mercedes is peddling this BS hybrid nonsense rather than offer a capable all electric S class to compete with the Model S.

It used to be that you drive a S class to see the future of the car but now I'd suggest that you drive a Model S and it's a shame Mercedes has yet to deliver a serious contender to the Model S. I know they have a B class coming but they seem to think electric cars need to be small dinky play things.
I would love to get an E-car and the Tesla is the only serious player out there. That said, it is a small company and just doesn't have the model selection I am looking for, because if one doesn't like the design (I don't care for hatchbacks), there is no place to go.
It is also not on par with the build quality and options. But I have the same hope that MB will deliver a new series in electric cars in time.
After all, the stated B-Class is running in Tesla tech since MB is a shareholder in Tesla and the technology agreements in place.

Using the B-Class though is perfect for Mercedes. The car was designed for batteries from the get-go and to hit a certain price point for a high-volume car is more important for the future than selling a few S-Class e-versions.

Meanwhile, the upcoming S500 Hybrid promises to deliver nearly 80 miles a gallon.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
@Wolfman: I've been following the Tesla forums and for a small company with limited resources they seem to be very proactive in taking care of their customers. I know two people who own then and they are ecstatic about their cars.

In any case, if Mercedes want to compete with Tesla in the high end segment they need to stop with this BS hybrid nonsense. I'd never consider a hybrid car. One of the reasons I'd consider a Tesla (if AWD was offered) is so I can have a reliable car that I can hold onto for a while with fewer things to go wrong. Mercedes has been lately making throw away cars with heavy repair bills and maintenance after 4+ years and I want to stop dealing with that.

Being saddled with an internal combustion engine with systems for emission, transmission, engine, coolant and all the nonsense is precisely why I'd look into getting an electric car. I don't know what they are thinking with this hybrid nonsense as judging by the sales, few people buy them. I don't know why you'd want to carry around all the components of a gas engine and an electric car in one package. I'd much rather have a quiet, smooth, and fast electric car with a 300 mile range.

I'm likely still going to get a S550 with AWD but it will likely be my last gasoline car.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

@Wolfman: I've been following the Tesla forums and for a small company with limited resources they seem to be very proactive in taking care of their customers. I know two people who own then and they are ecstatic about their cars.

In any case, if Mercedes want to compete with Tesla in the high end segment they need to stop with this BS hybrid nonsense. I'd never consider a hybrid car. One of the reasons I'd consider a Tesla (if AWD was offered) is so I can have a reliable car that I can hold onto for a while with fewer things to go wrong. Mercedes has been lately making throw away cars with heavy repair bills and maintenance after 4+ years and I want to stop dealing with that.

Being saddled with an internal combustion engine with systems for emission, transmission, engine, coolant and all the nonsense is precisely why I'd look into getting an electric car. I don't know what they are thinking with this hybrid nonsense as judging by the sales, few people buy them. I don't know why you'd want to carry around all the components of a gas engine and an electric car in one package. I'd much rather have a quiet, smooth, and fast electric car with a 300 mile range.

I'm likely still going to get a S550 with AWD but it will likely be my last gasoline car.
I look forward to more better looking Tesla's before getting one. Besides the niche Tesla has, electric cars are a tiny segment. Love the concept, but many customers will not take the risk of an all-electric car. There is no other e-car with a 300 mile range and to get that range, you are in the $100k.
Lots of people also don't like e-cars if all electricity is produced by dirty coal-powered plants.

So if you wonder why people go for hybrids, there you are. Also, in cold weather, you'll see your range shrink by a good margin.

While combustion engine will be on the way out eventually, a whole has to happen on the battery side to make this a mass market product.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Like I suggested, go test drive a Model S P85. It's made it very difficult for me to buy another gasoline powered car.

If people are upset about coal being used for electricity they are not really well informed. It is vastly more efficient to produce energy and control/contain pollutants in a mass scale than it is to burn gasoline in the tiny internal combustion engines of our cars.

But really I'm not a treehugger and the environmental aspect isn't any part of my consideration. I just find the Model S in the P85 variant to be a better car than anything made by Mercedes.

I'm also not sure where you get all this about not being able to use a Tesla in cold climates and the range being reduced by a "good margin." Tesla has built in thermal management to account for this in the battery pack. Last month, Tesla Sold more Model S vehicles in Norway than any car manufacturers (including Toyota, VW, etc.,) has ever sold in a single month. I'm sure the Norwegians would not be buying a $100K car that performs poorly in the winter Sure range is affected, but not by a huge margin.

The only reason I may still get a S550 is AWD. If not for that, the Model S P85 is the best car I've ever driven at any price-point. Frankly, Mercedes should be ashamed to not have a competing no-compromise electric car with a 300 mile range and < 5 second 0-60 time.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Like I suggested, go test drive a Model S P85. It's made it very difficult for me to buy another gasoline powered car.
Already did. Great car. Just don't like the looks or interior too much.

I just find the Model S in the P85 variant to be a better car than anything made by Mercedes.
Makes sense. I think it's different rather than better since MB doesn't build any electric cars. You choose with your wallet

I'm also not sure where you get all this about not being able to use a Tesla in cold climates and the range being reduced by a "good margin." Tesla has built in thermal management to account for this in the battery pack. Last month, Tesla Sold more Model S vehicles in Norway than any car manufacturers (including Toyota, VW, etc.,) has ever sold in a single month. I'm sure the Norwegians would not be buying a $100K car that performs poorly in the winter Sure range is affected, but not by a huge margin.
I don't think anyone said you can't use these cars in cold weather. Re. range: Several Tesla owners I asked about it in Minnesota, including the MS P85 ...

Frankly, Mercedes should be ashamed to not have a competing no-compromise electric car with a 300 mile range and < 5 second 0-60 time.
Why Mercedes? Nobody else on the planet besides Tesla has built one. Tesla has created a compelling case to get in the game though and MB is a large shareholder already anyway.

Tesla sells poorly in Germany if I recall. 0-60 is less relevant and the car is too slow (max speed/battery consumption at full speed) plus no viable supercharger network yet.
In time, I am sure it will change. Hopefully other car makers will come up with more e-cars with more compelling designs.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Wolfman, all good points Glad you took it for a test drive. I agree with the interior. It is very modern but could use a few more luxurious touches and the seats could be better.

Unless I am mistaken, Mercedes' stake in Tesla is 5% -- right?

I buy and keep cars for about 6-8 years so something I find compelling about the Tesla is that it has far fewer parts to go wrong. There's hardly anything to service in an electric motor and I can have it serviced every 2 years. Not having to deal with an engine, transmission, differential, emission control system, are all very appealing to me.

The reason I said Mercedes should be ashamed to not have a competing model is because I still consider Mercedes a high-end automaker with cutting edge design and technology. As with the B class, it seems they are intent on not developing an uncompromised electric car like the Model S. Either they build a niche car like the SLS ELectric or an upgraded golf cart like the B class.

I've decided to wait until 2015 to see if Tesla would add AWD to the Model S and if that happens Mercedes would loose a customer and I'm unlikely the only such customer they will loose. They need to come out with a long range fast electric car they can sell in volume and not this BS hybrid nonsense where you end up with a compromised gasoline car and a compromised electric car in one.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport

It used to be that you drive a S class to see the future of the car but now I'd suggest that you drive a Model S and it's a shame Mercedes has yet to deliver a serious contender to the Model S.
Are you referring to the 4.7 Liter engine that came out and is in the 2012-2014 S class, or the 5.5 liter from 07-11 S class ?
Old 04-17-2014, 04:42 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
after owning a 550 for a few weeks, that AMG would so sweet........
Old 04-17-2014, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hyperion667
after owning a 550 for a few weeks, that AMG would so sweet........
A little ECU tune might ease your pain
Old 04-17-2014, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Jason B
Are you referring to the 4.7 Liter engine that came out and is in the 2012-2014 S class, or the 5.5 liter from 07-11 S class ?
I'm referring to the previous generation W221 07-11 S class. It's only after several years some of the mechanical issues came up so we may not know what issues are with the recent models for another couple of years.

My point is, I'd much rather not deal with an incredibly complex internal combustion engine, transmission, emission system, and everything that is in our cars if I can avoid it. Seems there are far fewer moving components to break with electric propulsion and I have a sneaking suspicion the reason Mercedes insists on building hybrids rather than no compromise EVs is because they know they make more profit servicing and fixing these cars than they do initially selling them.

It seems lately Mercedes is building these cars to just survive the warranty period and they become money pits afterwards. While this is fine for those who lease, it results in horrible residual values and not a very good bet for people like me who like to buy and own a vehicle for about 6-8 years. I've been monitoring the Tesla forums and for the most part people seem to be really happy with the cars and the few issues that come up seem to get fixed quickly.

Honestly, how many of you would own one of these cars out of warranty?

I've played the game the Germans are playing because there was nothing else out there. As hard as I find this to believe, they've actually managed to make a car in America that I would pay serious money to own -- if only it was offered with AWD
Old 04-17-2014, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Unless I am mistaken, Mercedes' stake in Tesla is 5% -- right?
Think so. Used to be about $1B, but MB invested at a time when they could have gone belly-up and they have some partnership rights to use Tesla tech in their cars and work on car projects together.

Overall a great opportunity. I for one wouldn't mind seeing an all electric Tesla powered S-Class...
Old 04-17-2014, 08:29 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Wolfman
A little ECU tune might ease your pain
eh, just wouldn't be the same animal......faster, perhaps; but severely lacking IMO for the equivalent AMG experience
Old 04-17-2014, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Think so. Used to be about $1B, but MB invested at a time when they could have gone belly-up and they have some partnership rights to use Tesla tech in their cars and work on car projects together.

Overall a great opportunity. I for one wouldn't mind seeing an all electric Tesla powered S-Class...
Mercedes got that Tesla stock at a steal but like you said no one knew what would happen to Tesla when that deal was done. The Mercedes components on the Tesla, including the shifter, made me feel a bit at home during the test drive.

As well as the Tesla drove, I wish they made the vehicle more luxurious. The seats, ambient lighting, audio can all be improved but for a new model they got so much of it right.

A Tesla powered S class (with AWD) would be ideal. I may not be looking at buying a Tesla if that was available. I just don't want to deal with the hybrid BS. Either give me the best electric car you can make or give me the best gas car you can make. Not a compromised mess that needs to carry two different propulsion systems. A 300 mile range is all I need for 99.9% of my driving and that is good enough for me.

I hope before long Mercedes will present us with a no-compromise electric S class.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:56 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I agree, after driving a Tesla Model S, an internal combustion engine immediately feels archaic as a horse-and-carriage, (and this is coming from someone who LOVES the sound of a good gas engine winding up, one of my favorite things) completely inefficient, and frankly subpar. Electric is the future, the wheels are already in motion. Now when I fill my car up with gas, take unwanted whiffs of the toxic fumes, I can almost see myself embarking on what will soon enough be subject to history books.

An S Class all-electric a'la Tesla P85 would be ultimate for Mercedes. Any car in the S segment, who offers a full, no compromise, electric power train, will jump multiple levels against the competition. Already many people consider the Model S to be the "best car in the world", I personally agree that it's a little rough around the edges in areas, and I don't love some things about it, enough to buy it, but it sure is the most revolutionary car since Mercedes launched the first car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S63 AMG Bad A....