Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 05:37 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Mercedes highlights the curve control system on the S-Class Coupe

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11405307...on-the-s-class

Mercedes has released some new details about their curve tilting function on the S-Class Coupe. Designed to lean the vehicle into corners like a motorcyclist or skier, the system raises the "base points of the steel springs integrated into the ABC suspension struts" on one side of the vehicle and lowers them on the other side. This happens in fractions of a second and the degree of tilt is determined by the bend radius and the vehicle speed.
Sounds great, except I'm perplexed. How is this any different than regular Active Body Control that has been on Mercedes S600 and CL Class for 14 years?

I have it on my 2014 car. I had it on my W221 and W220. That was always the point of the car and why I specifically chose that option over 4matic. For evidence, here is a video from over 5 years ago comparing a BMW 7 to a Merc S (with ABC). Please watch the entire thing - and you will see a CLEAR demonstration of what ABC does to the S Class.

After watching, my question remains. Can anyone shed any light on what this new dynamic curve is? Is it just a "rebranding" of ABC for people to understand what it is?

Old 05-30-2014, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Chucky300
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11405307...on-the-s-class Sounds great, except I'm perplexed. How is this any different than regular Active Body Control that has been on Mercedes S600 and CL Class for 14 years? I have it on my 2014 car. I had it on my W221 and W220. That was always the point of the car and why I specifically chose that option over 4matic. For evidence, here is a video from over 5 years ago comparing a BMW 7 to a Merc S (with ABC). Please watch the entire thing - and you will see a CLEAR demonstration of what ABC does to the S Class. Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0LIau58Hdg After watching, my question remains. Can anyone shed any light on what this new dynamic curve is? Is it just a "rebranding" of ABC for people to understand what it is?
This is different from the usual ABC. ABC never leaned into the curve beyond the leveling done to eliminate the body roll (at least a majority of it).
Old 05-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Something like this F400 Carver concept?