S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Active Parking Assist.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 SL600, 2015 Lexus RX450h, 2014 S550
Active Parking Assist.

Has anyone used the Active Parking Assist?
Its in my option list but I don't think it's been activated by dealership.
I see the blue parking icon but no arrows pointing either left or right, when near parallel parking spots.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:42 PM

S550
Originally Posted by Cptdenny
I see the blue parking icon but no arrows pointing either left or right, when near parallel parking spots.
Doesn't the turn signal have to be on? Either left or right signal.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by mrapplegate
Doesn't the turn signal have to be on? Either left or right signal.
Page 226
"When a parking space has been detected, an arrow towards the right or the left also appears. By default, Active Parking Assist only displays parking spaces on the front-passenger side. Parking spaces on the driver's side are displayed as soon as the turn signal on the driver's side is activated. When parking on the driver's side, this must remain switched on until you acknowledge the use of Active Parking Assist by pressing the a button on the multifunction steering wheel. The system automatically determines whether the parking space is parallel or at right-angles to the direction of travel.
A parking space is displayed while you are driving past it, and until you are approximately 50 ft (15 m) away from it."

I believe you use the turn signal only when you're parking on the drivers side.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:05 PM

S550
I read that. I was not sure if you used the signal at all.
You don't get the arrow on either side?
Old 09-01-2014, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63

This may be helpful.
Attached Files
Old 09-01-2014, 10:15 PM

I read that. I was not sure if you used the signal at all.
You don't get the arrow on either side?
I don't think I had my signal light on at the time. I'll give it a try tommrow. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2014, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by MTrauman
This may be helpful.
Thank you as well. I already have it.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:22 PM

S550
I'm curious to know how it works in real life. I've never been the best at parallel parking. I've seen the MB videos, but never heard feedback from actual real world use.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:30 PM

I'm curious to know how it works in real life. I've never been the best at parallel parking. I've seen the MB videos, but never heard feedback from actual real world use.
I was a good at parallel parking in my teens to mid 20's growing up in NYC but since, I've lost that skill living in areas that don't require parallel parking over the decades. I just don't want to damage one of my optional 20" mags against a curb.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:32 PM

S550
I was a good at parallel parking in my teens to mid 20's growing up in NYC but since, I've lost that skill living in areas that don't require parallel parking over the decades. I just don't want to damage one of my optional 20" mags against a curb.
I am the same way, thankfully the wife is a pro. Shameful but true.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 201 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by MTrauman
This may be helpful.
Ok Trauman. I read that info and my head is still spinning. It has to be much simpler than what it reads like in the manual. Have you or anyone else here actually tried out the active parking assist? I never have to this point. I'm basically scared to try it. I would love to get some feedback from folks on this forum on this feature. I have read somewhere that it is a great feature but I am very reluctant to try it out. I guess one reason is that I'm not sure of all the steps after reading those confusing instructions.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:41 PM

Here's a video of the Park Assist in action. Mine isn't doing that, yet I know it's installed.
I may drop by dealership tomorrow.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Here's a video of the Park Assist in action. Mine isn't doing that, yet I know it's installed.
I may drop by dealership tomorrow.

http://youtu.be/7Cucb5mmd74
That video is helpful and the active parking assist seems like a piece of cake. Is the driver stepping on the accelerator at all during these maneuvers? It looks as if he is not except at the very end when he is pulling out of the parking space. Compared to what the manual states, this video is SO much easier to follow.

So, I take it that if the parking space is on the passenger side and you stop the car about 20-30 or so feet ahead of the front end of the spot, there will be a right arrow pointing to the right and the APA is set to go once you press the OK button. Is that correct?
Old 09-01-2014, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by BeanTrader
That video is helpful and the active parking assist seems like a piece of cake. Is the driver stepping on the accelerator at all during these maneuvers? It looks as if he is not except at the very end when he is pulling out of the parking space. Compared to what the manual states, this video is SO much easier to follow.

So, I take it that if the parking space is on the passenger side and you stop the car about 20-30 or so feet ahead of the front end of the spot, there will be a right arrow pointing to the right and the APA is set to go once you press the OK button. Is that correct?
That's the way I read it. My problem is that I never observe any arrows, only the blue parking icon.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Thanks captain. To be honest with you, I'm not sure if I have seen these arrows either, but I don't recall that I ever even looked for them. I need wear my reading glasses once and take a close look to see if the right arrow shows up when I get ready to park the car on the passenger side.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
UNIMOG
The car will sense that there is a space and the blue "P" appears in your dash. All you do is drive past the parking space parallel to the car in front just as you would when you parallel park.

Come to a complete stop and put the shifter into "R" reverse. If all requirements are met ( enough room to actually park there ) there will be a option that pops up in your dash asking if you would like it to park.

Press OK and let go of the brake and steering wheel and let it do its thing. You don't need to gas it the same as normal parallel parking.

You do however need to brake prior to hitting the car behind you. Then put the shifter in to Drive and the steering wheel will turn the other direction and straighten out the car but you have to brake here on your own as well . .
Old 09-02-2014, 06:23 AM

S 550
Ok Trauman. I read that info and my head is still spinning. It has to be much simpler than what it reads like in the manual. Have you or anyone else here actually tried out the active parking assist? I never have to this point. I'm basically scared to try it. I would love to get some feedback from folks on this forum on this feature. I have read somewhere that it is a great feature but I am very reluctant to try it out. I guess one reason is that I'm not sure of all the steps after reading those confusing instructions.
I don't have much need to parallel park anymore and I also was nervous to try the automated system. A few months ago while on a trip with the car we had an opportunity to parallel park and it was in a quiet parking lot so I took time to test the feature with my wife standing outside the car to be sure the car didn't damage itself or the other cars.

It worked just like the video showed for parallel parking, pretty remarkable. Haven't had the need to parallel park since that those couple times on that trip so my memory about the exact sequence is a little vague. My recollection is that it was much simpler than the owner's manual description made it seem.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mercedes S550
Thumbs up

I haven't used this feature and I am glad that I read this thread and watched the video. I had no idea what the blue "P" on the dash signifies and why it appears. I haven't noticed the arrows yet.

I might try this if I go to the bank later today.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by lsdreem
The car will sense that there is a space and the blue "P" appears in your dash. All you do is drive past the parking space parallel to the car in front just as you would when you parallel park.

Come to a complete stop and put the shifter into "R" reverse. If all requirements are met ( enough room to actually park there ) there will be a option that pops up in your dash asking if you would like it to park.

Press OK and let go of the brake and steering wheel and let it do its thing. You don't need to gas it the same as normal parallel parking.

You do however need to brake prior to hitting the car behind you. Then put the shifter in to Drive and the steering wheel will turn the other direction and straighten out the car but you have to brake here on your own as well . .
Are you certain about the need to break it? I thought with the Parktronic sensors it would break itself, no? But aside from that, you say that there is no need to mess with the accelerator, right?
Old 09-02-2014, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63

Beantrader--I have not had a need to use the feature. However, on my delivery date at the dealership, my sales associate demonstrated the feature on my car. I was pretty nervous watching him do this with my new car but it worked perfectly. With 6600 miles on the odometer, I have not had a need to use the parking assist. I will have to try this out especially since this thread is discussing it.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:53 PM

2015 S550 ordered
I've used it and it works great. I haven't had to brake but I have had to give a little gas after the initial reverse when going forward in drive or backing up again. I haven't tried but I think I can press ok to go forward after shifting gears. Now I want to try parking on the drivers side with the turn signal on.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:06 PM

UNIMOG
Are you certain about the need to break it? I thought with the Parktronic sensors it would break itself, no? But aside from that, you say that there is no need to mess with the accelerator, right?
Well.. I always stepped on the brake. I'm not brave enough to try without braking. Yes no accel unless you parallel park at 60mph
Old 09-02-2014, 03:08 PM

UNIMOG
Originally Posted by DaveVY
I don't have much need to parallel park anymore and I also was nervous to try the automated system. A few months ago while on a trip with the car we had an opportunity to parallel park and it was in a quiet parking lot so I took time to test the feature with my wife standing outside the car to be sure the car didn't damage itself or the other cars.

It worked just like the video showed for parallel parking, pretty remarkable. Haven't had the need to parallel park since that those couple times on that trip so my memory about the exact sequence is a little vague. My recollection is that it was much simpler than the owner's manual description made it seem.
Yes you need to be careful though. The park assist backed into a curb once. Well it didn't steer to avoid it.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:10 PM

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
2022 EQS 450
I have used the park assist several times over the past year and it is very reliable. No braking or accelerator required unless you are on an unusual slope for the desired spot.
IMHO the MB is much more aggressive in the maneuver than required. I had a Lexus with the first ever park assist in 2007 and it was much slower and a controllable event.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes S550
Perpindicular should only be used when there is exactly one spot between the 2 cars. If there is more than one spot, it will try to parallel it, and that is hilarious if you have passengers. LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Active Parking Assist.