S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Dealer carwash scratched my car! Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 S550
Dealer carwash scratched my car! Help!

On Saturday, I took my brand new black Mercedes (3 months old) back to the dealer to install plates. They asked me if I wanted a car wash with it....I was hesitant and said I was worried about scratches. The service guy said he would hose the car down first since I was worried about scratches.

There was a big splotch of bird poop on the trunk of the car. After the car came back, some of the bird poop was still on the car trunk. But there were a bunch of horizontal scratches on the trunk as well. I didn't notice the scratches at first until I drove home. I then immediately drove back to the dealer (w/in 30 min) and complained about it. They tried buffing out the scratches. It improved, but was still visible. They claimed that their car wash could not have caused the damage since the brushes are only on the side and that it was soft cloth that goes over the top of the car. But one of the other service guys said if he owned such a nice car, he would not run his own car thru the wash

They told me to come back on Monday to talk to their service manager to rectify the problem. The service manager also claimed that his car wash doesn't cause such damage. (However, I did note that the loaner car i was given, also had scratch marks on a similar location on the rear trunk). The service manager said he would have his detailer look at the car and fix the scratches. He also said he would fix the slight discoloration on my hood from a separate bird poop acid. I came back later that night (after dark) to pick up my car. It looked better from a distance since it had just been detailed, but I still noticed a few light scratches on the trunk of the car. Note also that the lighting in the dealership garage was not the most ideal to view the paint) When I got home, my wife who is an artist, looked at the car, and immediately said the entire car is now scratched up with small light scratches in all different directions,....possibly swirl marks. These scratches are very faint and only viewable under certain lighting. (due to my work schedule, I have not yet been able to view the car under direct sunlight). I also noticed smudges or scratches on the edges of the rear tail-lights.

The service manager called me this morning to check my satisfaction. When I told him about the problem, he said the swirls are probably due to waxing and would come off if I wiped it down with a soft-cloth. So after work today, I tried the soft-cloth rubbing on both the car paint and the taillights. It didn't do anything to clear up these faint scratches that are now all over the car.

Was the service manager being truthful that these faint scratches/swirl marks are just the result of waxing the car? What should my next step be? Should I have a 3rd party detailer examine the paint? can these problems be fixed?

Photos attached: Photos 1 & 2 are taken right after the car wash.
Photos 3 & 4 are taken after they buffed it out.
Have not yet taken any photos of the car after they detailed/waxed it. Its kinda hard to take photos of the scratches all over the car since they are so faint.
Attached Thumbnails Dealer carwash scratched my car!  Help!-mmexport1413772776986.jpg   Dealer carwash scratched my car!  Help!-mmexport1413772781253.jpg   Dealer carwash scratched my car!  Help!-mmexport1413772831341.jpg   Dealer carwash scratched my car!  Help!-mmexport1413772839795.jpg  

Last edited by cheapbrass; 10-22-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Rule Number 1, NEVER have the dealer wash the car, especially on non-metallic black cars.

Every dealer I know has either morons or school kids working the wash. Some hand wash, others have a cheap nylon bristle wash.

Stay away from all...

My suggestion is to either have the dealer pay for a detail or do it yourself.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S 550
Ouch! Sorry to see this happened to you.

In the future, never ever have the dealer wash your car, they might mean well but in my experience they use equipment and rags that are dirty, same rag being used car after car after car. The dirt embedded in that rag or equipment then drags that embedded dirt across the paint causing those scratches and micro scratches/swirls.

The only reason waxing would cause more swirls is if the applicator or buffing rag was dirty or if it was a cheap rag. Even clean rags will cause swirls when they are rough and cheap.

Regarding repairing the scratch - general rule of thumb is if you can not feel the scratch with your finger nail then it can be fairly easily polished out by someone who knows what they are doing. Even some deeper scratches can be removed but will depend on the depth of the clear coat vs the depth of the scratch.

Since the dealer already had his "detailer" look at it, I would tell the dealer you want a 3rd party detailer to fix it. Be sure to get references and look at a detailers portfolio of similar types of repairs.

Hope the dealer will pay for this or take care of it to your satisfaction.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:51 AM

Mercedes
looks like whoever was drying your car kept their wedding ring on. Don't panic just have someone polish it out.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:10 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
not another one!!!!!!

most service managers are full of BS and will try to tell you ANYTHING to get you to back down: I'd have it professionally detailed including a clay bar treatment; and yes, insist the dealer pay for it.........don't back down until you feel it's been resolved

I myself would never let the dealer touch my car with their car wash boys, as someone mentioned, they're mostly kids and younger guys that don't know as much as they think they do

good luck and let us know the outcome
PS-I never want a black car again in my life, too much headache
Old 10-23-2014, 08:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 AMG SL55,2015 S550 4MATIC, 2023 BMW X5
I agree, never let a dealership wash your car.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
a decent detailer will make quick work of swirl marks and RIDs.

send the bill to the dealer.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:06 PM

2015 S550
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
a decent detailer will make quick work of swirl marks and RIDs.

send the bill to the dealer.
whats an RID?

Does anyone know of a good reputable detailer in the Chicagoland area? And how much would a full detail cost?
Old 10-23-2014, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Rules:

1. Dealer car washes suck
2. Dealer detailers suck

You've got to take it to a 3rd party highly recommended and well regarded detailer in your area. The people working at the dealers don't know/care about how to properly detail and prepare a car.

If I were you I'd just take this as a lesson learned and stay away from the dealer for cleaning/detailing services.

What the 3rd party will likely have to do is a paint correction with polish and if you wish you can also do a paint sealant to help provide another layer of protection on the car. These are all things the detailer will be familiar with.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by cheapbrass
whats an RID?

Does anyone know of a good reputable detailer in the Chicagoland area? And how much would a full detail cost?
random isolated deeper scratches
Old 10-23-2014, 03:38 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
OUCH
Old 10-24-2014, 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 430 Posts
W212 FL
Sorry yo that happen to you . To get rid of swirl marks ,I have learned a tip for you , all the credit goes down to Rick's American Restoration .
Well, use a damped cloth to the area . Pour down a hefty amount of talc and power up the buffing machine if you have . Once it is done, use another clean quality cloth and wipe the area you apply .

I have also seen from earlier posts having the dealer wash the car is not the best thing for your car
Old 10-25-2014, 11:08 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I went through a similar thing when I first got my current black car.

NEVER let a random car wash or dealer wash your ESPECIALLY black car, and your ESPECIALLY large black car (lots more surface to keep up, which means more potential headache). The only way I'd even consider going to either for a wash is with a white or silver car, namely if the car is in for something and I'm being lazy enough to let them wash it and hope that it all goes well, and also that if anything unsatisfactory arises, it won't be visible due to those colors hiding imperfections so well.

Don't take it back to the dealer again. They'll just buff off another microscopic layer of paint to make it look crappy again. Dealer washes and car washes are for guys who don't care about their cars, just want it to look shiny from afar, and don't focus on it in high resolution. DO, however push hard for the dealer to pay for your true paint correction.

During my learning process, I took it to a car wash as what I told myself was my "treat", i.e the one time I'll let a wash touch my car (it's brand new, how bad could they do?"), and it was a disaster. I called them the next day and told them the issue, they gave me a "discount" on fixing it, since they blamed the dealer who originally buffed it just weeks earlier (which I knew wasn't true, but I just wanted my car back to my specifications), so basically what they did is earn themselves my business of a detail job prematurely after they screwed up the simple wash. All they did was temporarily "correct" the previous issue and introduce new one (the dreaded "holograms" which are almost exclusively visible on black or darker cars). I ended up paying

Make sure they do not apply a "Glaze" on your paint!! That's what detailers do to pacify people with "makeup", only for it to fade off in several days, and now they can say it's out of their hands.

If you can, wash the car yourself. Check out Autogeek for a range of products. In the last year with my current car, I went from being meticulous to it, to not caring about it at all as I take a break until I get my next car and restart the process. Having the right products and especially MF towels is the most important thing. I've given my car very halfassed baths lately, and the black paint isn't even swirled. It's all about the towels. Also, keep a coat of wax on a black car. I use Optimum No Rinse Wash/Wax solution which is amazing, and allows me to wax my car while I wash it, effectively keeping it always protected, and saving me from having to invest hours into waxing it often enough. Then if it gets unsatisfactory, just get a paint correction periodically from a trusted detailer.

Which leaves it at: Find a good detailer in your area. Search forums for someone who's "enthusiast/forum approved" 'cause then you know they're good. They'll get your car back to new, then it's up to you to keep their work lasting as long as possible, so you can get your money's fully worth.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:22 AM

2014 Mercedes S550
I'm picking up my 2015 Thursday, and I have to remember to tell them NOT to detail it. I'll do it when I get home with it.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:52 AM

ML63

Old 10-26-2014, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
My 2013 S550 was the first black car I ever owned and the last. I tried removing some bird droppings from the hood. I thought I was being very careful, wetting the droppings to soften them and then gently wiping them off. What I did left bad scratches. I now have a Polar White ML. In between washes, if there are any spots anywhere, I simply squirt some Meguiar's Detail Spray and wipe the panel off. The same scratches are probably caused, but you will NEVER see them. White or silver cars are infinitely easier to keep looking like new than any dark colored car.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
That's too bad that a lot of people have this experience. For years, my dealer in San Francisco details and washes my car and even with my black car, I never had one single problem.

In fact, I remember when a valet at a restaurant put a scratch on the car, I actually took it to the dealer to buff it out, which they were successful in doing.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Yikes sorry about that but I'd let a professional dealer fix that for you before the dealer does any more damage. This is why I stay away from black exteriors. It shows every single micro scratch anywhere in the car.

Once you get your car back I highly recommend that you have Xpel or some other film product professionally applied to your car. It will certainly help with bird dropping damaging the clear coat.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:38 PM

2015 MERCEDES ML63-AMG
Sorry you had such a terrible experience. I have a black car and it had a enormous amout of swirl marks from the dealer. I took out my Flex and Adams swirl removing polishes- and about 14 hours later- the car was emaculate.

I do all of my own detailing and never let a dealer wash my car. If you wrap the car, you don't have to worry- but it is expensive. I have one of my cars wrapped and you can't damage it!

Good luck- I am sure a good detailer can fix it!
Old 10-30-2014, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
LOL OP...at least your car didn't come with a 2" DEEP scratch/minor dent down to the primer like mine did. Found out a week after I got the car since I don't drive it much. Right where the bumper sill is! Probably happened when the dealer installed the "comfort box."

Try using Meguiar's M105 followed by 205 and I'm sure your scratches will come right out.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:18 AM

2006 infiniti M35 sport
This guy can fix your car.

http://www.lustrdetail.com/
Old 10-30-2014, 09:20 AM

2006 infiniti M35 sport
Originally Posted by cheapbrass
whats an RID?

Sky is the limit on cost.
Ivan from Lustr will give you a quote.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:36 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
what if someone accidently hurt the car wash machine with their car?
would Mercedes Benz be annoyed?
would proof of the car at fault need to be documented?

just wondering
Old 11-01-2014, 10:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 S550 4matic (AMG sport package), 2016 Corvette Stingray.
That looks like a detail could get rid of that and doesn't look imbedded in the paint. Anyway,so you an update for us?