S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

S600 v S63 Decisions....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:05 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by thomas311
Bottom line: i told him that I'm signing for 160K plus 3 years service included right away (I simply don't pay MSRP - period). He came back with 160K without the services included and we closed the deal.
Thanks. I pressed the price issue seeking a gesture today and received this response. "As for pricing, we do not increase the price on our Super Class builds or stock ones. We do keep it at MSRP. We are very accomodating to our customer's process and deliver exceptional service. To build this S600 we have to give up our allotment on another Super Class (AMG,Maybach) vehicle."

First I have heard of this limited allotment... do MB want to sell vehicles or not.

Anyway I am getting irritated by this attitude and think I should look elsewhere. I am in no hurry. I hate the "if you can afford an S600 why are you even haggling over the price" as if those who can afford the car are less prudent with money. It's the same mentality that tries to justify "market pricing" because some people fall for paying over the value of what a fast depreciating asset (which it is not) is worth.

Chris
Old 02-27-2015, 01:00 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
Thanks. I pressed the price issue seeking a gesture today and received this response. "As for pricing, we do not increase the price on our Super Class builds or stock ones. We do keep it at MSRP. We are very accomodating to our customer's process and deliver exceptional service. To build this S600 we have to give up our allotment on another Super Class (AMG,Maybach) vehicle."

First I have heard of this limited allotment... do MB want to sell vehicles or not.

Anyway I am getting irritated by this attitude and think I should look elsewhere. I am in no hurry. I hate the "if you can afford an S600 why are you even haggling over the price" as if those who can afford the car are less prudent with money. It's the same mentality that tries to justify "market pricing" because some people fall for paying over the value of what a fast depreciating asset (which it is not) is worth.

Chris
cars.com look 150mi around your zip and take one off a dealer's lot. MB is being aggressive in Feb, picked up an AMG for an unheard of discount, and I had 3 dealers all in the ballpark before negotiations started
Old 02-27-2015, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
I hate the "if you can afford an S600 why are you even haggling over the price" Chris
My quick response to that is : I can afford cars like that because I ALWAYS haggle over the price.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML63
Wait a second! They call the S-class as a "Super Class"? WTF this sales person has been through?

I like their attitude – "Hey, look, you should thank us because we are not increasing the prices on our Super Class builds", "We are the only dealer in this country who still sells at MSRP, others sell above MSRP"

Run from these clowns. Ping other dealers in your area or go out of state. A couple of hours invested into a research and negotiations may turn into $5,000+ discount. Only a handful people on this planet earn $2,500/hour. Be one of them.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
1987 560SEL, 1988 560SEL, 2016 S600 Maybach, 2018 AMG GTC
I hate the "if you can afford an S600 why are you even haggling over the price" as if those who can afford the car are less prudent with money. It's the same mentality that tries to justify "market pricing" because some people fall for paying over the value of what a fast depreciating asset (which it is not) is worth.
Chris
I'm with you a 100%:
I pride myself in being 'self-made-wealthy' which means I know how hard it is to get where I am. My customers have the right to negotiate with me and they do - sometimes for weeks. So its my right to do the same when I'm the customer. There is a reason why I can afford such a car and it's not because I 'give away' money. Negotiating was and always will be part of selling goods and services. Like it or not.
I second the others: go find another dealer. A S600 has not too many options, so you might just find the perfect one on a dealers lot.
Cheers
Old 02-27-2015, 10:27 AM

Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts
S600
Originally Posted by absent
My quick response to that is : I can afford cars like that because I ALWAYS haggle over the price.
You have earned my pity.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
You have earned my pity.
Wow, how so?
Old 02-27-2015, 09:27 PM

2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)

Chris
The dealer emailed me today and offered $3,000 off MSRP. "He went through our allotments and called Mercedes-Benz directly to work something out. We got a waiver on one of our build allotments. With that I can offer you a $3,000.00 discount on your build."

That will almost (but not quite) cover the gas guzzler tax. Looking for more and its not enough. I will cast my net wider.

Chris
Old 02-28-2015, 03:11 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Around SF (or perhaps anywhere in US), not many <80yo may want a 600 at any price; most >60yo rich dudes I know want to feel younger, even if not into cars/driving and simply get a 65 on default basis (if from truly tacky places like FL or desert get a Bentley)

Suspect anyone w/>100IQ who understands crappy MCT (or DCT) or Airmatic doesn't want a 63 either

Perhaps 1-2 dealers ard SF (or LA) have vast majority of the repeat buyers in region for >$200K MBs (same concept ard any major urban region on planet for any MB/P/F)....fig out why these few dealers have all these gullible rich dudes handing them their repeat biz for these fast depreciating >$200K commuter cars....

For past many yrs, these cars are (at most) 2yr leases, much like iPhones, disposable tech devices....so nominal discts off MSRP ultimately are trivial, kinda like any disct at AAPL store/online

For time immemorial, cars (of any price) have a % of lemons....so one's relationship w/dealer...and that dealer's clout w/mfr...ultimately determines how uncomfortable is that lemoning process....any dealer or salesguy ultimately ranks any cust based on own perceived profitability, much like any other biz that survives

Ultimately, it's really question of value of one's own time/health...these 65s are awfully cheap vs insurance value in any tail risk event (not a fan of personally testing decay curves of >2yo airbag systems from MB, let alone lesser mfrs and their similarly lame suppliers)....amused abt concept of extended warranties from any provider....abt as absurd as those who misvalued counterparty risk of "venerable" institutions like Lehman, AIG, etc before '08.....
Old 02-28-2015, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
The dealer emailed me today and offered $3,000 off MSRP. "He went through our allotments and called Mercedes-Benz directly to work something out. We got a waiver on one of our build allotments. With that I can offer you a $3,000.00 discount on your build."

That will almost (but not quite) cover the gas guzzler tax. Looking for more and its not enough. I will cast my net wider.

Chris
You dealer is a (p)rick, I would email them back saying: Too little, too late and thank you, but no, thank you.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Smile

Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
You have earned my pity.
I don't need it, prefer not to be a sucker handing his $$ as prompted to anyone asking for it.
You prefer the other way, that's your choice.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
1987 560SEL, 1988 560SEL, 2016 S600 Maybach, 2018 AMG GTC
Originally Posted by absent
I don't need it, prefer not to be a sucker handing his $$ as prompted to anyone asking for it.
You prefer the other way, that's your choice.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E55
Ping.

Any updates, Chris? What did you end up doing?

Anything better than the initial $3K offer?
Old 04-01-2015, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by BklynMarc
Ping.

Any updates, Chris? What did you end up doing?

Anything better than the initial $3K offer?
I am waiting at the moment. I decided to order a MY16 as soon as that is possible.

Chris