S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Any experience with Magic Body Control?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C3004W
Any experience with Magic Body Control?

I was reading about Magic Body Control available on the S class and was wondering if anyone has it and what they think of it. It looks like impressive technology to smooth out bumpy roads. And Washington, DC has more than its share of potholes.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,393 Likes on 1,934 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Originally Posted by puzzled
I was reading about Magic Body Control available on the S class and was wondering if anyone has it and what they think of it. It looks like impressive technology to smooth out bumpy roads. And Washington, DC has more than its share of potholes.
Right before the 2014's came out, one of the car magazines did an article on the new S550 with MBC and they said something about how it made speed bumps "disappear." Well, I have a 2015 S550 with 18" wheels, conventional tires and MBC and my feeling is that the magazine article was pure B.S.

I had a 2013 S550 with ABC and I am convinced that it rode at least as well as my new car. MBC just MIGHT work under afbsolutely perfect conditions, as one might experience on a test track or some other controlled environment, but in the real world, my feeling is that it is not yet ready for prime time and it costs like $2 grand more than ABC.

The Exclusive Nappa interior in my car is magnificent. INMHO, EVERYTHING else was as good or better in my W221--AND, I loved the looks of my old car, whereas the W222 comes from a good family, but she just doesn't look that great in a cocktail dress, now does she?
Old 03-26-2015, 10:24 AM

2015 C3004W
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Right before the 2014's came out, one of the car magazines did an article on the new S550 with MBC and they said something about how it made speed bumps "disappear." Well, I have a 2015 S550 with 18" wheels, conventional tires and MBC and my feeling is that the magazine article was pure B.S.

I had a 2013 S550 with ABC and I am convinced that it rode at least as well as my new car. MBC just MIGHT work under afbsolutely perfect conditions, as one might experience on a test track or some other controlled environment, but in the real world, my feeling is that it is not yet ready for prime time and it costs like $2 grand more than ABC.

The Exclusive Nappa interior in my car is magnificent. INMHO, EVERYTHING else was as good or better in my W221--AND, I loved the looks of my old car, whereas the W222 comes from a good family, but she just doesn't look that great in a cocktail dress, now does she?
Thank you. I read a review in Car & Driver and they raved about MBC. Thank you for sharing your experience.

To me the S class is the Alpha dog, bar none. Maybe someday I will buy one but apart from the money it really is a bigger car than I prefer to drive. I am a city driver and do a lot of parallel parking. I am also single. So even though I don't need or even want the size, it is after all and S class.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...y-control.html
Old 03-26-2015, 01:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
VW 48
My tires/wheels configuration is similar to Streamliner. I have MBC, it is of no value to me.

Last edited by 3.14159; 03-26-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
1987 560SEL, 1988 560SEL, 2016 S600 Maybach, 2018 AMG GTC
I have a 2015 S600 and I disagree MBC being worthless. In my opinion it does a good job, but I also think it does it's job pretty subtle. It has it's limitations, but that's all outlined in the manual. But if you roll over a speed bump with your foot still slightly on the gas pedal, it indeed flattens them out (not completely, but significantly).
Is MBC worth the money? That is a total different question as you can only answer that for yourself. In my S600, I certainly think it's worth it as this car needs to glide as smooth as possible due to the nature of the car. I also have a SL550 without MBC, but in this car I don't miss it as i drive it completely different and I'm ok with it being a bit more rough around the edges compared to the S600. Try drive both and make sure you run both over bumpy roads during daylight with your foot always on the gas. This is where you will notice the difference. Hope that helps a bit. Cheers
Old 03-26-2015, 03:57 PM

2015 C3004W
Thank you. The video is good. Do you still have a 1971 Pinto?
Old 03-26-2015, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos

honest question. Why not find the lowest mile, most heavily optioned 2013 S-class and get an extended warranty? You'd save some money and get a car you prefer.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:43 PM

Received 308 Likes on 200 Posts
S600
I actually like MBC on my S600, it does not get rid of he speed bumps so much as getting rid of the pitch and roll while going over hem.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,393 Likes on 1,934 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
honest question. Why not find the lowest mile, most heavily optioned 2013 S-class and get an extended warranty? You'd save some money and get a car you prefer.
Believe me, I have looked and looked LONG and HARD. The vast majority of these cars have, IMO, six, big strikes against them: they are black, they have the Sports Pkg., they have a Panorama Roof, they do not have ABC, they do not have Driver's Assistance Pkg. and they don't have Premium Leather. Then you have to hope you find an undamaged, non-smoker car with low miles and it's like trying to find the proverbial needle in a haystack. I gave up a while back and am resolved to live with my W222, hoping for much better things to come with the mid-cycle refresh. Maybe I'll go for a 600 or a Maybach this time, or maybe I'll just say f-ck it and I'll get a Rolls Ghost.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:59 PM

2015 S600
ABC or 4-Matic???

[QUOTE=Streamliner;6377503] "Right before the 2014's came out, one of the car magazines did an article on the new S550 with MBC and they said something about how it made speed bumps "disappear." Well, I have a 2015 S550 with 18" wheels, conventional tires and MBC and my feeling is that the magazine article was pure B.S."

I will be ordering a fully loaded S550. My only remaining decision is to go 4Matic or MBC. Cost is not the issue, nor is climate as I am in central Texas. Here is what I get from the MB website and confirmed by my: both the standard S550 and the 4Matic have the "Airmatic" feature to help the suspension; MBC is the same as the previous ABC, but with daytime enhancement because of the forward looking cameras. According to the dealer, ABC/MBC gives a notably smoother ride whether or not the camera aspect is functioning because it reacts faster than Airmatic. (This is likely why you see it much like your previous "ABC" vehicle.) ABC/MBC is also supposed to help keep the vehicle stable in turns, etc.

Is this true?

On the other hand, I have been told that 4Matic is cool even without snow because it too helps keep the vehicle stable in a variety of conditions and gives a better ride than the standard suspension even in good weather and road conditions.

Is this true?

Does anyone have a reason to prefer 4matic over ABC other than for climate? Thanks!

Last edited by emnic1; 04-01-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:07 PM

2015 C3004W
I've never had or experienced Airmatic or MBC. But I have many years of driving with 4Matic in C and E class automobiles. I believe 4Matic is better on wet roads even in warm or hot weather. I don't think the ride is better if by better you mean smoother. If I lived in a hot year round climate I would still get a car with 4Matic.

Now I have a German cousin who thinks 4Matic detracts from the pure RWD experience. He is more of a performance driver than I am. I am more concerned about safety in all conditions. So I buy 4Matic and he scoffs that it's not necessary.

If I had to choose between 4Matic and MBC I would choose 4Matic.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:24 PM

2015 S600
Thank you!

Originally Posted by puzzled
I've never had or experienced Airmatic or MBC. But I have many years of driving with 4Matic in C and E class automobiles. I believe 4Matic is better on wet roads even in warm or hot weather. I don't think the ride is better if by better you mean smoother. If I lived in a hot year round climate I would still get a car with 4Matic.

Now I have a German cousin who thinks 4Matic detracts from the pure RWD experience. He is more of a performance driver than I am. I am more concerned about safety in all conditions. So I buy 4Matic and he scoffs that it's not necessary.

If I had to choose between 4Matic and MBC I would choose 4Matic.

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you for your insight. I have to think that Aromatic with all wheel drive, i.e. 4-Matic, is better than the standard Airmatic.

Does anyone have an opinion regarding the standard Airmatic vs ABC vs 4Matic?
Old 04-02-2015, 11:02 AM

2009 SL600, 2015 Lexus RX450h, 2014 S550
Maybe I'll go for a 600 or a Maybach this time, or maybe I'll just say f-ck it and I'll get a Rolls Ghost.
Forget the Ghost. Huge disappointment on my Ghost test ride last summer, the heavy front end reminded me of our old '95 OJ Edition Ford Bronco. Immediately afterwards we test rode the 2014 S550, which we weren't even considering it.

The test ride sold us on the S550 and it was ours the next day. A few months ago I test rode the Bentley sedan, it too rode far better than the Ghost and close in ride comfort to my S550.