S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Tesla Auto Pilot same technology as Distronic plus on S550?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Software updates are the key for autonomous driving technology and really a must for any modern car. It's astounding that no other car manufacturer is doing this yet. Since we bought our Model S, the features in our Model S match the features of cars rolling out of the assembly line today and literally dozens of features have been added to the car with overnight software updates.

Speaking of which I just received another software update. So when we get home, it used to be such a pain to have to go to through hassle and inconvenience of pulling out the key fob or opening the Tesla App on our phone to initiate the self parking feature so the car would open the garage door and park itself

With this recent software update such drudgery is a thing of the past. Basically when we get home, all we have to do now is press the park button twice and get out of the car. A moment after you leave the car, the Tesla opens the garage door, drives itself in the garage and closes the garage door behind it. We have a very narrow garage so the self parking feature is now effortless and just takes half a second to engage.

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 02-18-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by mtimmy
If Mercedes is reading this thread , you are losing me as a loyal customer over Tesla because your distronic+ sucks on my 2014 E63s...

I always wanted to order a fully loaded S63, but ended up with a P90D model X order.
I'm so envious! You will absolutely love that Model X. Did you go for the Ludicrous Speed option?

As much as I love the Model S and feel it is greatest 4 door sedan on earth, the Model X is a better SUV/CUV than the Model S is a better car.

Congrats and you will love Autopilot on your Model X.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
Software updates are the key for autonomous driving technology and really a must for any modern car. It's astounding that no other car manufacturer is doing this yet. Since we bought our Model S, the features in our Model S match the features of cars rolling out of the assembly line today and literally dozens of features have been added to the car with overnight software updates.

Speaking of which I just received another software update. So when we get home, it used to be such a pain to have to go to through hassle and inconvenience of pulling out the key fob or opening the Tesla App on our phone to initiate the self parking feature so the car would open the garage door and park itself

With this recent software update such drudgery is a thing of the past. Basically when we get home, all we have to do now is press the park button twice and get out of the car. A moment after you leave the car, the Tesla opens the garage door, drives itself in the garage and closes the garage door behind it. We have a very narrow garage so the self parking feature is now effortless and just takes half a second to engage.

Tesla AutoParks Without Being In The Car - YouTube
It is very cool in principle except that it isn't making any sense for me get out of the car outside the house and then let the car park itself.

I just drive into the garage and have arrived Faster, easier and I stay warm and dry...
Old 02-18-2016, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Wolfman
It is very cool in principle except that it isn't making any sense for me get out of the car outside the house and then let the car park itself.

I just drive into the garage and have arrived Faster, easier and I stay warm and dry...
That's a fair point

It's extremely useful for us though because our garage is incredibly narrow. So narrow that you can barely just manage to open the door on just one side after you pull into the garage. This makes it so much easier to get in and out of the car.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
I've been curious about Mercedes' Drive Pilot technology that is coming in the Mercedes E Class. Just read an interesting article about the technology and how it compares to what Tesla is offering. Interesting take on the technology.

Anyone know if the same Drive Pilot software will be available for the S Class and if it uses additional sensors than what is in the present S Class?

http://mashable.com/2016/06/16/2017-.../#912_HpHC_OqR
Old 06-23-2016, 12:30 PM

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
I highly doubt that the E Class would have better technology than a S Class which is released later. I would guess this technology would be on the S Class facelift/revamp but wouldn't be surprised if it takes until the new W223.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by UrBusted
I highly doubt that the E Class would have better technology than a S Class which is released later. I would guess this technology would be on the S Class facelift/revamp but wouldn't be surprised if it takes until the new W223.
Can they just not update the software of the W222 to deliver the enhanced functionality of the upcoming E Class without having to wait for the W223?

Isn't the hardware sensor suit for the W222 and the upcoming E Class the same?
Old 07-08-2016, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Thought you all would enjoy reading a recent article comparing the semi autonomous systems of current vehicles. It is quite thorough and scientific and includes an S65.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/testi...ndai-mercedes/
Old 07-08-2016, 05:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 S550
As someone who started driving with manual steering, I'm beginning to get used to the wheel moving a little under my hands. Technology has to move forward and unfortunately our skills will also deteriorate as a result. No changing it but I hope it moves slowly enough to be well tested as the herd will likely depend on it to replace some personal responsibility. Dave
Old 07-09-2016, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Interesting read on Tesla's AutoPilot in light of the Joshua Brown/Tesla accident that occurred after the Volvo engineer discussed the Tesla Autopilot Below.

Volvo Engineer Calls Tesla Autopilot a “Wannabe”

BySteve HanleyPosted on April 28, 2016 Tesla-Autopilot-Traffic-Rain
Volvo engineer Trent Victor says the Tesla Autopilot system is a “wannabe” because it cannot avoid a dangerous driving situation without assistance from the driver.

Tesla Autopilot screen

Trent Victor, senior technical leader of crash avoidance at Volvo, calls the Tesla Autopilot system “an unsupervised wannabe.” At best, he thinks it is a semi-autonomous system masquerading as an autonomous one. “It gives you the impression that it’s doing more than it is.” When it comes to Autopilot, color Trent Victor unimpressed.

Why is he so harsh in his judgment? Because he believes Autopilot conveys the impression that the driver is free to check e-mail or watch a video while the car drives itself. Victor says Volvo believes Level 3 autonomy, in which a driver needs to be ready to take over at a moment’s notice, is an unsafe solution. “Our position on autonomous driving is to keep it quite different so you know when you’re in semi-autonomous and know when you’re in unsupervised autonomous,” he says.

Tesla’s Autopilot semi-autonomous technology gives drivers the ability to take their hands off the wheel while the car effectively drives itself on the highway. Although it is the most advanced semi-autonomous system available in an automobile today, that doesn’t mean it’s a good implementation of technology, according to Victor.

Volvo plans to unveil its Drive Me autonomous car in 2017. The pilot program will feature a Level 4 autonomous car capable of driving like a Tesla on Autopilot, but it will also be able to handle any situation that arises without any human intervention. The driver won’t need to be involved at all. If something goes wrong, the car will be able to stop itself safely and park on the side of the road.

“In our concept, if you don’t take over, if you have fallen asleep or are watching a film, then we will take responsibility still,” says Victor. “We won’t just turn [autonomous mode] off. We take responsibility and we’ll be stopping the vehicle if you don’t take over.”

Victor says that Autopilot as presently configured will simply disengage if a dangerous situation is imminent. The assumption is that the driver will then resume control of the car. But if the driver is distracted, an accident can ensue before the driver realizes that human control is required.

“That’s a really important step in terms of safety, to make people understand that it’s only an option for them take over,” says Victor. Volvo is “taking responsibility both for crash events, and we’re also programming it for extreme events like people walking in the road even where they’re not supposed to be. There’s a massive amount of work put into making it handle a crash or conflict situations.”

Ultimately, the development of self driving vehicles will be as much about government regulation as it is about differences in corporate philosophy. The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration is pondering what those regulations should be. In fact, it is soliciting public comments at a hearing in Silicon Valley today.

Ford, Volvo, Uber, Lyft, and Google have formed a new consortium called The Self Driving Coalition for Safer Streets. It will lobby NHTSA for regulations its members believe will best serve their business interests. It is interesting that Tesla is not part of the coalition. No doubt, Tesla is pursuing its own lobbying campaign.

Although details are sketchy at the moment, there is little doubt that Tesla expects the self driving capabilities of the upcoming Model 3 to represent a major step forward from the Autopilot system available in its cars today. Will it be good enough to meet the objections of people like Trent Victor? We will know in about 18 months.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
I think we now can answer the question the difference with the link below to show that the MB Distronic System is far better than the Tesla AutoPilot. In the same situation the Distronic System would prevented the accident while in the article/video below it proves that the AutoPilot system cannot prevent a simple low speed accident.

My S Class would easily avoid this collision.

http://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model...d-van-highway/
Old 07-14-2016, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by beckerkumm
As someone who started driving with manual steering, I'm beginning to get used to the wheel moving a little under my hands. Technology has to move forward and unfortunately our skills will also deteriorate as a result. No changing it but I hope it moves slowly enough to be well tested as the herd will likely depend on it to replace some personal responsibility. Dave
Personal responsibility being the key when using driving aids.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Personal responsibility being the key when using driving aids.

I don't disagree that personal responsibility is important.

However, one of the reasons Tesla is getting flack, including from Consumer Reports on CNBC broadcast today, is the fact that Tesla essentially is overselling AutoPilot to the point people are led to believe you can just take your hands off the wheel and let the car do the work. Tesla, in my opinion, is very irresponsible in putting AutoPilot on the market and using people as test dummies. Musk may be a genius but Tesla is poorly run from a board governance standpoint as well as in the areas of accounting and the legal department (IMHO) especially since most attorney's can easily point out that what they have done with AutoPilot is leading them into potential product liability lawsuits of significant proportion that could essentially put the company out of business.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by UrBusted
Seems like DrivePilot in the new generation E Class is indeed superior to what is currently available in the S Class.

Quite interesting that they are actually advertising the upcoming E Class as a "self driving car."

Old 07-23-2016, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Article just our recently comparing the new E Class driving assistance systems with Tesla Autopilot:

http://www.autofil.no/936897/hands-off
Old 07-27-2016, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Just found another Tesla Autopilot comparison to Mercedes' Drive Pilot. Interesting to note that Tesla AutoPilot and pretty much every other similar implemntation is based on MobileEye technology and the two companies just parted ways so Tesla is now bringing all hardware and software development for Autopilot in house.

The review below is interesting especially in light of the fact that Mercedes is advertising the system as a "self driving car."

http://www.thedrive.com/tech/4591/th...-tesla-model-s
Old 11-20-2016, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Not sure what Mercedes is planning to do with their Drive Pilot feature in the future and if the software can be updated. For the benefit of those who have already bought cars I really hope they designed the system so the software can be updated.

Tesla is now outfitting every car they make with a full sensor suite to eventually enable full self driving with future software updates. They just released a video showing the technology in action. It is still not perfect but they are about a year from releasing this capability after extensive software validation.

I know Mercedes has demonstrated similar capability but that was with a sensor package costing literally tens of thousands on a carefully mapped route. What you see on the video believe is production hardware shipped with every Tesla and when the software validation is done every Tesla made since Q3 of 2016 will have this capability without the need to buy a whole new car to get this technology.

The next major Autopilot update is scheduled for December/January timeframe to enable autonomous lane changes on interstates as well as the car navigating and switching highway interchanges by itself.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Thought you all would find this video very interesting. It is basically Tesla Autopilot taking countermeasures to avoid an accident even before the car in front of the Tesla realizes that it will soon be in an accident.

Basically Tesla just updated all the Autopilot software to bounce radar signals underneath vehicles up front to figure out what is going on multiple cars ahead of the current car. With this new sensing capability the Tesla will know instantly if there is an accident that not even the car in front of you is aware of.

Watch the video and listen to the Tesla Autopilot Critical Alarm beeps. That's when the car knows that the car in front of the Tesla is about to have a crash and anticipating this crash it engages autonomous braking mode.

Moments later the car in front of the tesla crashed but the Tesla is stopped a safe distance away.

Realize this capability was just added to every Tesla sold since 2014 via a software update and you do not need to buy a new car to receive the benefit of this potentially lifesaving feature.

The real power of the Tesla Autopilot feature has to do with the over-the-air software updates. I hope Mercedes figures out how to implement this soon so you don't have to buy a new car just to get the latest software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om3z...ature=youtu.be
The following users liked this post:
aypues (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought you all would find this video very interesting. It is basically Tesla Autopilot taking countermeasures to avoid an accident even before the car in front of the Tesla realizes that it will soon be in an accident.

Basically Tesla just updated all the Autopilot software to bounce radar signals underneath vehicles up front to figure out what is going on multiple cars ahead of the current car. With this new sensing capability the Tesla will know instantly if there is an accident that not even the car in front of you is aware of.

Watch the video and listen to the Tesla Autopilot Critical Alarm beeps. That's when the car knows that the car in front of the Tesla is about to have a crash and anticipating this crash it engages autonomous braking mode.

Moments later the car in front of the tesla crashed but the Tesla is stopped a safe distance away.

Realize this capability was just added to every Tesla sold since 2014 via a software update and you do not need to buy a new car to receive the benefit of this potentially lifesaving feature.

The real power of the Tesla Autopilot feature has to do with the over-the-air software updates. I hope Mercedes figures out how to implement this soon so you don't have to buy a new car just to get the latest software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om3z...ature=youtu.be
Wow, impressive.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:22 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
S550LWB 4matic
"The real power of the Tesla Autopilot feature has to do with the over-the-air software updates. I hope Mercedes figures out how to implement this soon so you don't have to buy a new car just to get the latest software."

+1
The following users liked this post:
aypues (12-29-2016)
Old 01-03-2017, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
It will be interesting to see Tesla begin enabling autonomous driving in stages as cars rolling out of the assembly line now have hardware already built in for fully autonomous driving to be activated later with a software update.

That video of the Tesla predicting and avoiding an accident is the future of this technology where the system will be able to drive at a degree of safety higher than a human. It's already pretty much here.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:42 PM

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Seems like DrivePilot in the new generation E Class is indeed superior to what is currently available in the S Class.

Quite interesting that they are actually advertising the upcoming E Class as a "self driving car."

[IMG][/IMG]
I said the future S Class facelift, of course a 3 year newer car would have better technology. I wonder if anyone's heard further information about the self driving S Class from 2013 and if Mercedes are planning on releasing something similar to the S Class to counter Teslas superior system.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
This is what is on the horizon for the driving technology that will be in the next S Class update. Seems more incremental than revolutionary but I really hope they make the software updateable over the air so it can get better over time.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘19 AMG S63
Info below from Tesla Forums. Looks like it is not all "peaches and cream" in Tesla land with their Downloads. Atleast my S Class has cruise control. Looks like new Tesla buyers cannot get even cruise control because of the delayed AutoPilot.

Forums

New Model S w/ no idea when AP will kick in

New Model S w/ no idea when AP will kick in

Submitted by rozanne2 on January 5, 2017
Picked up our new Tesla on Dec 14th and were unexpectedly told that none of the auto features would be operational until new software download hopefully before end of year. So...no cruise, no auto wipers, no auto park. Nada. Software downloaded on 12/31. Happy New Year (NOT). Unfortunately, although it notified us the download was successful there was no information explaining why nothing worked! After calls to a service center we were told the firmware was still calibrating and at some point what we paid for would be downloaded. However, they had no clue on how many miles you have to drive before the elemental safety features would kick in. We've put 600 miles on the car and feel safer driving my 2005 Lexus that has radar cruise control. We love driving the car but felt the communication between Tesla and its new buyers sorely lacking. Love this forum though. Maybe it will let me know before Tesla.

bill | January 5, 2017
I bought my car in December and got a notice it wanted to update on January 2nd. Did the update but it turned out not to be the Auto Pilot Update just a regular service update. Check the update notes. If you got the AP update it should have a lot of info about what they added.

bgbythsea | January 5, 2017
+1. I wish I had good news for you, but I'm in the same boat. My S (12/13 delivery) is on a 24 month lease, so every day that I wait is a calculable loss. I love the car, love Tesla (own stock), but I'm strongly considering making a stink for a refund of payments made for the Enhanced Auto Pilot for time it hasn't been provided. That EAP would have been very handy on the 1100 mile road trip I did over the holidays.

Bighorn | January 5, 2017
Here's the part of the forum dealing with said issue:
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/enhanced-ap-20-qa-lastest-update-p...

Made in CA | January 5, 2017
Seriously people?! Did you not read any of the information in the Design Studio? It is very clear that the AP 2.0 cars would have limited functionality until regs are in place. It still says that. Geez!

rxlawdude | January 5, 2017
Oy vey... again again.

zakeeus | January 6, 2017
I wish I had so much money that I could add a $5000 option to a car and not read how it works.

steven | January 6, 2017
No miscommunication from Tesla, just poor reading from your part unfortunately. Website clearly states it will not be activated for some time. And that might mean several years even.
I also find it very hard to believe people buying $100k cars without doing some research on what they are buying. I'm sure they will only tell the architect "build me something to live in" and be disappointed when they love in that it is not to their taste. :-(

tommilone | January 6, 2017
80% of complaints are being led by Tesla Sales reps who sold customers on an AP test drive but failed to disclose that the functionality displayed at test drive was not available for new purchases. Cut some of these guys some slack.

KP in NPT | January 6, 2017
My alarm is going off playing sonny and cher's "I got you babe."

reed_lewis | January 6, 2017
The sales website still says that enhanced autopilot will be available on December 2016.
Look, I see both sides of this. As a customer, I purchased something expecting that the company was able to supply me with the product I purchased. OTOH, I understand that software takes time to perfect (as I am a software engineer for many years).
But I expect better communication from Tesla.

KP in NPT | January 6, 2017
Read the description box of EAP in the design studio. It's spelled out clearly.

Pungoteague_Dave | January 6, 2017
It did not say "Years." Tesla and Musk said "December" for AP 1.0 equivalence. Complete and total fail.
Musk still has his blog post up saying "no charge valet services" and that most service centers will have roadsters for loaners too. I don't use the word "lie" when it is pathological - I think Tesla/Musk actually believes the stuff they say when they say it. Fanbois believe that Musk saying something makes it true, and when it turns out to not be true, they insist it is true anyway. See battery swap. See above.
"Well,,would you rather they release it before it is ready? I applaud Tesla for not releasing software that isn't safe yet. And slow roll release is only prudent. The added features will come later and buyers should be happy they have what they have." They spin so hard their feet are screwed into the ground.

tommilone | January 6, 2017
What pisses me off is the non communication. Send customers an email explaining the delay. Silence is what is annoying. Even for the 1000 users that got the update AP is only able to steer between 17 and 35 miles an hour. Who travels 17-35 miles an hour on a highway that could even Beta it properly?

whitex | January 6, 2017
If you read the Design Studio wording literally and carefully like a lawyer, AP2 may not do much at all by the time your car turns to dust, or when our Sun goes supernova. If you try to make a laymen's interpretation, you might think you should have most of EAP by now (Dec 2016 update). It's open to interpretation, I chose to pay after it's all working - happy to pay the extra $2K if the car can really drive any meaningful distance autonomously as Tesla describes it will. I root for them to accomplish it, but because I didn't pay for it, I don't sit on the edge of my seat waiting for every upgrade, or let it eat me away that I paid for something that is depreciating every day while it's not functional.

tezzla.SoCal | January 6, 2017
A lot of us waited 10 months for autosteer (2014 P85D's), so stop your *****ing about waiting 1 month.

SilverP85plus | January 6, 2017
laCoS.alzzet@
!elbuort trats t'noD

tezzla.SoCal | January 6, 2017
I put a smiley face though!

kevin | January 6, 2017
@PD "It did not say "Years." Tesla and Musk said "December" for AP 1.0 equivalence. Complete and total fail."
This is why you sound like an anti-Tesla propagandist. It wasn't a complete and total fail. It was a partial fail since 1000 cars got the full TACC part of 1.0 Autopilot in December.

laCoS.alzzet@
(: tniop doog ,yrros

Bill_60D | January 6, 2017
1000 got PART of 1.0 (partial fail) and the rest got complete fail.

JayInJapan | January 6, 2017
I waited four months for my car, then 13 months for autosteer. How many threads do we need on this topic?

JayInJapan
especially when there is one specifically created and being bumped for AP 2...

rozanne2 | January 6, 2017
I'm not an engineer, just a new owner. If I'm interpreting this thread, I was definitely sold AP 2 with misleading info from sales person. I can live without auto steer, but, I don't even have basic auto features. No cruise control, no auto wipers? We paid cash for this car...feeling sick.

burdogg | January 6, 2017
whitex - I agree. See people, the problem being - you ALL could have waited to buy this. NO one forced you to buy something that was not available yet, but we ALL want to save money so we save money and then complain that it doesn't work yet. What? I get some may have truly been perplexed and didn't know beforehand - but I really have a hard time that a salesperson took you on a test drive with AP 1.0 and when you ordered (if done through salesperson) that they did not say a word that the AP feature would not work yet. (I admit there may be a very few that it somehow slipped, but not the numbers that seem to be portrayed on here with posts).
Anyway, if you only bought this car for AP - then please get rid of it, there will be other AP cars out there because you can't comprehend how simply amazing this car is without AP.

Register Login

Back to Tesla Model S

User login

Tesla Motors © 2017 Legal Contact Careers Locations Sign Out