S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

2015 S550 vs LS 460 FSport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 01:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'09 S63 AMG
2015 S550 vs LS 460 FSport

Trying to decide betw. purchasing a lightly used 2015 LS 460 FSport or S550. Not interested in leasing.

Based on resale, reliability, etc. I'm thinking that the Lexus is a no-brainer. Also - looking at depreciation (MB take a serious hit in this area).

Looking for advice

Last edited by AustinGuy; 02-08-2016 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 S550 4matic (AMG sport package), 2016 Corvette Stingray.
The Benz will definitely take a depreciation hit, but you can't let that discourage you as the quality is second to none. Those LS models are nice but I believe that car may be due for an upgrade soon, but if you're main concern is reliability then Lexus wins.

Honestly, all these high end cars take big depreciation hits, some more than others ofcourse. I personally just don't think that the Lexus especially with that weird joystick command system could compare to the W222.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:04 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
I'd likely think more of a man in a Benz than the other one
Old 02-08-2016, 08:59 AM

Received 117 Likes on 74 Posts
2021 e All Terrain, 2001 e55
I can't believe how targeted this question is. I happen to be an expert on the subject. I purchased a 2014 LS 460 F sport with every option previously I had been a Mercedes owner but I thought about buying the Lexus because of the reliability and because it was so highly rated on Consumer Reports.

I happened to be in California and Hertz rental car company gave me an S class to drive. Two weeks later I traded in my F sport and took a big hit and bought the S550.

Why you ask?

1. I'm tall and I always hit my head on the F sport roof.

2. Everything about the Mercedes interface and technology is better:

A. The cruise control is more precise. You can go up 5 miles an hour or 1 mile an hour. And it works. The cruise control on the Lexus is a joke by comparison.

B. Go ahead and tell me I'm a joker but all of the controls on the Mercedes for the turn signal and the cruise control are on the left so if you're holding a cup of coffee you can control everything with your left hand and still hold the coffee in your Right-hand. Even if you're not drinking coffee if your hands get tired on a long trip you don't have to use both hands all the time like you do with a Lexus Because the cruise control was on one side and the turn signals on the other. The cruise control is also in this awkward location like all Toyotas. It's not in a natural spot.

C. The Lexus navigation is not as good as the Mercedes navigation. I cannot stress this enough. It's not as good in so many ways. The screen is not as big the display is not as accurate and it's much harder to use. The Mercedes voice recognition is better.

D. For that matter, the whole Comand interface on the Mercedes is better. It's integrated better with voice command, it's more intuitive, there are several ways to do the same thing. It takes a little while to get the hang of it and it is more complicated than the Toyota/Lexus product once you get the hang of it you can do so much more.

E. The send to Benz, which allows you to send unaddressed to your car works better. Also if you call Mercedes and you pay some amount of money they'll send you an address to your car while you're driving down the road. Lexus may have this I don't know but I'm sure that the Mercedes works better because whenever I called Lexus to do anything their customer service was more officious.

F. The Mercedes seats are more comfortable. Most importantly the Mercedes gives you more leg room even though you don't hit your head. If you're tall the Mercedes steering wheel comes out further. In the Lexus which I think was designed for shorter people even when I put my seat all the way back I could not stretch out my legs and I still have my head even though I put it as low as I could go. Go ahead and make fun of me for being a big guy if you want but anyway there you have it.

On top of that, the car is lower and so getting in and out is a little bit harder if you're an old geezer like me.

G. The visibility and the Mercedes is better.

H. The fit and finish in the Mercedes is marginally better. the Lexus is a well-built car.

3. The Mercedes drives better than the Lexus. the S class handles slightly better. The sport function is more sporty in the comfort function is more comfortable.

4. Mercedes gets better gas mileage than the F sport.

5. I didn't read the instructions manual but I believe that Mercedes has more room in the trunk.

6. Mercedes has more room in the back seat

7. The automatic high beam dimming feature works better in the Mercedes.

8. I'm not sure if the Lexus has the sort of cruise control that slows you down when the car in front of you slows down or that jiggers the steering wheel if you go off the road a little bit. It did not in 2014.

Lexus does have some advantages. A lot of people look at it. One big advantage is that it has a spare tire and a heated steering wheel comes standard

In balance I can tell you absolutely positively 100% that in my opinion the S class is better than the F sport
Old 02-08-2016, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by AustinGuy
Trying to decide betw. purchasing a lightly used 2015 LS 460 FSport or S550. Not interested in leasing.

Based on resale, reliability, etc. I'm thinking that the Lexus is a no-brainer. Also - looking at depreciation (MB take a serious hit in this area).

Looking for advice
So you are considering between a gussied up Toyota Avalon or purchasing Mercedes' flagship car? Seriously there is no comparison. If resale value is your primary consideration just buy a Toyota.

If you want a premium luxury car that is the finest gasoline powered car you can buy IMHO the Mercedes S Class is unbeatable in quality, comfort, and performance.

Of course you will pay for that in depreciation but if you want the best you have to pay to play. If depreciation is a major consideration for you why not just buy a 2014 or 2015 CPO S Class with the extended warranty?
Old 02-08-2016, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s550
+1

Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
So you are considering between a gussied up Toyota Avalon or purchasing Mercedes' flagship car? Seriously there is no comparison. If resale value is your primary consideration just buy a Toyota.

If you want a premium luxury car that is the finest gasoline powered car you can buy IMHO the Mercedes S Class is unbeatable in quality, comfort, and performance.

Of course you will pay for that in depreciation but if you want the best you have to pay to play. If depreciation is a major consideration for you why not just buy a 2014 or 2015 CPO S Class with the extended warranty?
Old 02-08-2016, 04:37 PM

Received 181 Likes on 115 Posts
2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
Let's be fair, here, gentlemen. The Lexus LS is definitely NOT a gussied-up Avalon. The Avalon is built on a stretched Camry platform, which is purely FWD. Avalon has no AWD or RWD option. The LS is either RWD or AWD, with no FWD option.

The LS is marketed in Japan as a Toyota, under the model name Celsior. It is their executive-class limo/luxury car, and really is a good value for the money.

I've had 3 Lexus autos, and 2 MB sedans. All are great cars, but they are different. As I've said before, in the Lexus I felt as if I was being taken somewhere. In the MB, I feel that I am driving there.

The Lexus is certainly likely to be less "service intensive" but the MB is far more engaging to drive. The Lexus is much less expensive, but you get what you pay for. I will not disparage the Lexus cars. . . I just don't buy them any more.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:40 PM

'09 S63 AMG
First of all, the LS is not a gussied up Toyota. The fact that it compares very well with the S tells the story. The LS is a bonafide high end luxury flagship automobile that has a reputation for reliability. Even the MB salesman tells me that most of his clients lease the S class! That got me thinking even more.

This issue here is that everywhere you read (other than this thread) it's about how unreliable MB is. While I've heard that they've gotten better, what is that really saying?

And no, I would not buy a "toyota" just bec. all I'm concerned about is reliability! Hell, reliability is obviously a big part of the equation, isn't it for you?

Why does MB take such a hit compared to the LS if it's so much better?

Of course I agree that the S looks better and is a status symbol but if most people are leasing it and dropping it after 3 years then I really don't understand what type of car MB is building.

Last edited by AustinGuy; 02-08-2016 at 04:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mercshepherd (01-21-2018)
Old 02-08-2016, 05:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
First of all, the LS is not a gussied up Toyota. The fact that it compares very well with the S tells the story. The LS is a bonafide high end luxury flagship automobile that has a reputation for reliability. Even the MB salesman tells me that most of his clients lease the S class! That got me thinking even more.

This issue here is that everywhere you read (other than this thread) it's about how unreliable MB is. While I've heard that they've gotten better, what is that really saying?

And no, I would not buy a "toyota" just bec. all I'm concerned about is reliability! Hell, reliability is obviously a big part of the equation, isn't it for you?

Of course I agree that the S looks better and is a status symbol but if most people are leasing it and dropping it after 3 years then I really don't understand what type of car MB is building.
You have received, what I would consider, very good feedback regarding your original post.

But as you stated, you consider the choice a "no brainer".

So what's the point of this thread?

If you want to know why MB takes such a hit in value, my opinion is that they are very expensive to fix and after they are out of warranty, they are too costly to own, and the extended warranties are not cheap either. This drives the value down.

There are many things about MB's I don't like. There are even more things about the other cars in comparison, that I don't like. So in the end, MB is the best choice for me.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,392 Likes on 1,934 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
As someone who has owned or leased EIGHT, brand new, fully loaded LS sedans between 1993 and 2011, and who now drives a 2015 S550, I can tell you that there is NO comparison, not anymore. The LS is a dinosaur, having remained pretty much unchanged since 2007. The interior in a W222 just BLOWS away the Lexus. The LS, at least since 2013, when the folks at Lexus lost their minds and designed the front end to look like something out of an anime cartoon, with that idiotic "spindle grill," looks ridiculous, especially on what is supposed to be a luxury sedan. There is no choice here. Give me an S Class any day of the week.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Steinhart

There are many things about MB's I don't like. There are even more things about the other cars in comparison, that I don't like. So in the end, MB is the best choice for me.
Steinhart I agree with you 100%.

Also, even if the Lexus holds its value better over time in my opinion the Mercedes is a better experience while you own the car.

I'm willing to pay extra money to have a better experience. It's like flying first class over business it costs a little more but if you can afford it it's worth it.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Streamliner
As someone who has owned or leased EIGHT, brand new, fully loaded LS sedans between 1993 and 2011, and who now drives a 2015 S550, I can tell you that there is NO comparison, not anymore. The LS is a dinosaur, having remained pretty much unchanged since 2007. The interior in a W222 just BLOWS away the Lexus. The LS, at least since 2013, when the folks at Lexus lost their minds and designed the front end to look like something out of an anime cartoon, with that idiotic "spindle grill," looks ridiculous, especially on what is supposed to be a luxury sedan. There is no choice here. Give me an S Class any day of the week.
+1

The spindle grill alone does it for me but as stated, the LS platform is technologically dated. It seems like Lexus is working on updating every model but the LS.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

I don't want to get into the reliability discussion as I have good overall experience with MB but also know that the more gimmicks a car has the more can go wrong.

I do feel strong about MB's reliability re. the engine, drivetrain and safety system and that matters most to me.

Since I don't know much about the LS I just looked up a 2014 LS versus S-Class (NADA) and the difference in loss of value seemed rather small.

MSRP S550 LS460
$95,900 $81,925
Used Clean Retail
$75,875 $65,275

That may be worse on older cars but to me not worth discussing...

Btw, to make judgements about the quality of a car based on their leasing percentage must be a joke. Maybe Mercedes has a better lease program?
Old 02-08-2016, 11:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 S550 4matic (AMG sport package), 2016 Corvette Stingray.
Hey op, how about you go to clublexus and ask those guys over there and get some opinions from the other side of the spectrum.

Last edited by wilassasin; 02-08-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:12 AM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by Steinhart
You have received, what I would consider, very good feedback regarding your original post.

But as you stated, you consider the choice a "no brainer".

So what's the point of this thread?

If you want to know why MB takes such a hit in value, my opinion is that they are very expensive to fix and after they are out of warranty, they are too costly to own, and the extended warranties are not cheap either. This drives the value down.

OK, so what is it about the LS460 that you don't like? Mind you, if you want to nitpick then there can be a myriad of issues on both sides of the fence. Taking a more objective look at the 2, which one would you buy if you wanted to keep the car for > 5-8 years?
Old 02-09-2016, 12:14 AM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by wilassasin
Hey op, how about you go to clublexus and ask those guys over there and get some opinions from the other side of the spectrum.
uumm... ahem! Yes, I have... and do I need to tell you what that side of the spectrum thinks? Of course they say that the S550 is sweet looking etc. but LS is the way to go if you think "Waren Buffet style" (aka - buy value)
Old 02-09-2016, 12:18 AM

'09 S63 AMG
Why is everyone on here so emotional and DEFENSIVE about the S? Seriously - have you'll taken a look at my profile pic? It's a FREAKING S63 for crying out loud.

And I sold it in 2013... and had a hell of a time selling it! Had 11k miles.... and couldn't even get $65k for it (09 model sold in 2013 for $62k with 11k miles in showroom condition)

The Lexus dealers won't even follow up with me past the first offer. The MB salesman's # is on "do not disturb" bec. he won't stop calling me. He's desperate to sell his 2015's....

He made me an offer of 98k for a $112,000 MSRP '15 S550. 3 yr lease is at ~52% residual. Not sure what to think of those #'s

Last edited by AustinGuy; 02-09-2016 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
OK, so what is it about the LS460 that you don't like? Mind you, if you want to nitpick then there can be a myriad of issues on both sides of the fence. Taking a more objective look at the 2, which one would you buy if you wanted to keep the car for > 5-8 years?
I buy a car based on what I like, not what others like. I advise you to do the same.

If you are asking me why I bought an S550 over others in it's price range, it's primarily because the seat fits my frame, I'm 6'5" and it's hard to find a seat that's comfortable. I don't care what the car has to offer, if I'm not comfortable sitting in it then I can care less about the rest. Beyond that, I was intrigued by the safety features, then the interior style, build quality and exterior style, in that order.

If I were to keep the car 5-8 years, I'd probably buy a low mileage certified S550, after it's already taken the 20-40% hit in the initial 1-2 yrs. I decided to lease the one I have because I can expense the payments from my business and the lease rates were attractive in November 2015.

Get the car you want, life is short
Old 02-09-2016, 08:25 AM

Why is everyone on here so emotional and DEFENSIVE about the S? Seriously - have you'll taken a look at my profile pic? It's a FREAKING S63 for crying out loud.

And I sold it in 2013... and had a hell of a time selling it! Had 11k miles.... and couldn't even get $65k for it (09 model sold in 2013 for $62k with 11k miles in showroom condition)

The Lexus dealers won't even follow up with me past the first offer. The MB salesman's # is on "do not disturb" bec. he won't stop calling me. He's desperate to sell his 2015's....

He made me an offer of 98k for a $112,000 MSRP '15 S550. 3 yr lease is at ~52% residual. Not sure what to think of those #'s
I was not Emotional or defensive, I gave you my reasoning.

Also, I don't think you can make a judgment about the S 550 based on your experience with an S 63. A S 63 is a harder card to sell used in my opinion. If you're going to buy one that's late-model why not buy a new one.

In my opinion the average buyer for an S 63 has money and would rather go ahead and buy a new one. Also they'd have to wonder why somebody was selling one that's a late-model? Is there something wrong with it why is that person trading it in so quickly and did they beat it?

I thought about a S 63 except the guy in my New York City parking garage next to me drives in a 63 and last year was in the shop seven times.

Maybe I shouldn't say anything because I'm not familiar with the price drop of the S 550 but I suspect it's easier to sell a used as 550 than a 63.

I think the best thing is to drive both cars and make a decision based on your gut.

For me it was a no-brainer because the S class was more comfortable, it had more leg room and it had more up-to-date technology as I said above.

Somebody else here said that you receive a lot of feedback.

I think you should drive both cars and let us all know what you eventually decided to do. I for one will be anxious to find out
Old 02-09-2016, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
I've had both as well. Well, LS's and S classes. Lexus makes a great car that never had issues, but it's just boring to me now. You don't get that exciting feeling anymore with the LS. If you want a car that never needs to go into the shop, that's Lexus.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
Previous car was Lexus and yes I have a login to clublexus although the car was so reliable that I didn't go in there for almost ten years(we had it 11). Seriously

If you want a rock solid reliable car, go Lexus. If you just want a nice car to get you from Point A to Point B. Go Lexus.

For me ? I like to drive. I enjoy driving and was willing to pay the price for a drivers car.

Both nice cars but if you truly like driving and like to feel the road in your hands, go MB.

My wife and I had german cars for 15 yrs or so before our last Audi cured us for awhile... too much time in the shop.... so we where so pissed off about how we where treated at the dealer that we went Lexus.

At this point, I'm old and want a car I "like" to drive so back to German

Mike
Old 02-09-2016, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s550
I have to agree on the LS spindle grille, its weird, the back is also not pleasing to eye, it does not give a luxury look.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:19 AM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Would you really rather have an outdated car with a horrid grille instead of the S-class? **** the LS and who cares about those nerds from CR? Get the S, you know it's the one you want it.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:42 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by TonyMeister
Would you really rather have an outdated car with a horrid grille instead of the S-class? **** the LS and who cares about those nerds from CR? Get the S, you know it's the one you want it.
Correct...

But..... from a $$$ POV I'm gun shy bec. of my S63 experience. I also want to keep the car for > 5 years (don't like car payments)... and am worried about all this stuff I hear about how expensive it is to maintain after the warranty expires (in addition to what you read about issues with quality and the car needing to be in the shop)
Old 02-10-2016, 02:41 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Correct...

But..... from a $$$ POV I'm gun shy bec. of my S63 experience. I also want to keep the car for > 5 years (don't like car payments)... and am worried about all this stuff I hear about how expensive it is to maintain after the warranty expires (in addition to what you read about issues with quality and the car needing to be in the shop)
Then you should get yourself a Camry. Preferably with the least powerful engine and in loser trim. Oh and make sure it's boring old silver to help the resale value.

To paraphrase Milton Friedman: there's no such thing as affordable luxury. Whether it's the LS 460 or the S550, you're going to have to bring money to enjoy whichever of the two you choose because if you want to play, you have to pay. Simple as that.

Last edited by TonyMeister; 02-10-2016 at 02:45 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2015 S550 vs LS 460 FSport