S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Canada: Multiple Oil leaks on 2-week old car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL450 2017
Canada: Multiple Oil leaks on 2-week old car

Posting as someone who recently moved from a string of 9 BMW purchases into a new 2017 SL450 to try out Mercedes. Within 2 weeks of purchase, the car has now been in the dealer for 8 days while they fix two leaks (they fixed one major oil leak and then found another one which they are now working on). Clearly angry etc. Downtown Calgary MB is the dealer doing the work and they have given me a Nissan Maxima rental in the meantime. Knowing some of you on here are Canadians, I wanted to ask if this is "normal" for MB Canada. After paying $140,000 for a brand new vehicle, I am surprised they haven't had to put me in an equivalent car (at least a MB!). Dealer didn't want to give me any loaner vehicle at all, as I only booked it in 2 days beforehand (I didn't book it in advance because I didn't know my brand. Ew car would spring two leaks!) Trying to work out if I am being shafted here or not. They keep empathising hut basically tell me "that's the way it is"... any knowledge of MB Canada's policies would be helpful here....!
Old 09-26-2016, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 286 Posts
EQ
While not from Canada I sure hope that's not indicative of service there. Not being familiar with the area is there another dealership within a reasonable drive?
Old 09-26-2016, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Total BS. I would be writing and calling the corporate office, but more importantly you might have a lemon on your hands with problems like right from the start.

M
Old 09-26-2016, 09:37 PM

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
C43 Coupe
Sorry to hear about your situation OP. It's pretty sad that they're not willing to provide you with a loaner, even after you spent so much on that car. I'm glad I took my business to Lone Star instead. Haven't had any negative experiences with them yet. Although, when the country hills location opens up, I'll most likely go there.

Btw, I would get in touch with MB Canada and see if they can help you out at all.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:45 AM

SL450 2017
Thank you all for advice etc. Good to know my situation is unusual at least. I am indeed in touch with MB Canada. Amazingly their policy (regardless of age, cost etc) is only that dealer needs to fix car in reasonable time, and no loaner is required. Amazed at this. Am fortunate enough to have dealt with Bentley on a similar issue once, and they bent over backwards to put a smile on my face (and I then bought another car from them) so it just proves that even with a faulty car, the dealer's response can be rewarded with loyalty and confidence if handled correctly. Thanks to all.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Boy1980
Thank you all for advice etc. Good to know my situation is unusual at least. I am indeed in touch with MB Canada. Amazingly their policy (regardless of age, cost etc) is only that dealer needs to fix car in reasonable time, and no loaner is required. Amazed at this. Am fortunate enough to have dealt with Bentley on a similar issue once, and they bent over backwards to put a smile on my face (and I then bought another car from them) so it just proves that even with a faulty car, the dealer's response can be rewarded with loyalty and confidence if handled correctly. Thanks to all.
Yikes that is outrageous but I have to say our local Mercedes dealer always gives us Mercedes loaner cars, especially if you schedule your appointment in advance.

Is there another Mercedes leader in your area?
Old 09-27-2016, 11:29 AM

SL450 2017
Yes there is another Calgary dealer. But once a dealer has started fixing your car, you don't move it. The work was only booked in 2 days before so no loaner available. Difficult to schedule a major oil leak in advance!!! If I had known two weeks before I would need to book it in, I wouldn't have bought it...
Old 09-27-2016, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
After about 8 years of MB/BMW vehicles I've never had trouble getting a loaner that was at least equivalent to mine and in a few occasions better than mine.It would be interesting to see how things are done in Europe for example.I'd be rather unhappy to find myself in your situation.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:50 PM

SL450 2017
Funny PS to this tale: Today, having heard nothing from the servicing dealership at all since last Thursday, I received a text message from the dealership to tell me that my car is ready for pickup, with a weblink asking me to pay the $51 for the chrome license plate surround I had asked them to fit. Message received loud and clear. MB Canada and your dealership network: you should be ashamed.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Funny PS to this tale: Today, having heard nothing from the servicing dealership at all since last Thursday, I received a text message from the dealership to tell me that my car is ready for pickup, with a weblink asking me to pay the $51 for the chrome license plate surround I had asked them to fit. Message received loud and clear. MB Canada and your dealership network: you should be ashamed.
I hope you haven't filled out any MB satisfaction surveys. Unless Canada is different, your satisfaction will have direct impact of much money the dealer gets from MB.
Hopefully some Canadian customers can chime in if this is the same.

Call the sales manager, tell her/him what you think of your experience so far and unless they do something very special to wow you, both your purchase and service survey will reflect your bad experience.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:51 PM

SL450 2017
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I hope you haven't filled out any MB satisfaction surveys. Unless Canada is different, your satisfaction will have direct impact of much money the dealer gets from MB.
Hopefully some Canadian customers can chime in if this is the same.

Call the sales manager, tell her/him what you think of your experience so far and unless they do something very special to wow you, both your purchase and service survey will reflect your bad experience.
thank you. Just sat down with the sales manager to talk him through, very calmly, so that he can help future customers. He is very aware that I will never buy another MB and I have explained that I am not looking for his intervention. I'm done. I won't be buying another MB and I am now seeking quotes from other dealerships to sell my 3-week old car to them. I will likely take a $15,000 hit on this, but I don't want to ever see the three-pointed star in my garage again. Sounds crazy but sometimes you have to rip the band-aid off and move on.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
thank you. Just sat down with the sales manager to talk him through, very calmly, so that he can help future customers. He is very aware that I will never buy another MB and I have explained that I am not looking for his intervention. I'm done. I won't be buying another MB and I am now seeking quotes from other dealerships to sell my 3-week old car to them. I will likely take a $15,000 hit on this, but I don't want to ever see the three-pointed star in my garage again. Sounds crazy but sometimes you have to rip the band-aid off and move on.
Sorry to hear that. You'll be missing out of a great convertible experience.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:40 PM

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
C43 Coupe
It sucks that you had to go through such a bad experience. Are you going to look for a replacement with a different brand?
Old 09-27-2016, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,403 Likes on 1,941 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
What color is it?
Old 09-28-2016, 08:08 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,352 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
that sux a lot and I'd be furious too......what's even worse is the dealers reply to your concerns! are they total retards or something?? how can they treat you this way???
I'd leave MB in the dust too , I hope you get some sort of a survey in so you can RIP them one
Old 09-28-2016, 08:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 S550
If the car gets fixed, I'd drive it and see how I really felt about it. If you like the drive, the bad taste will wear off. If it doesn't you can take the hit and move on. The loaner issue is annoying not worth selling a car at an immediate loss. I drive a number of high end vehicles and would never expect a loaner any better than a used C class and I've driven worse. Just saying take a step back and let a little time. Dave