Leather question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 06:04 PM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550
Leather question...

Hi all,

Just picked up a very well optioned CPO 2015 S550 ( $122k sticker ). It has "Standard" black/black leather ( no priced option for this ). It looks like there is leather pretty much everywhere on the interior of the car ( and stitching galore ) . Beyond the seating surfaces, is the rest of the interior real leather? Or, the fake MBtex. Sure smells like real leather ( when I turn off the aroma thingy ).

It does have the $950.00 exclusive trim package. There is a ton of wood all over the interior.

Thanks in advance!

Steve
Old 01-21-2017, 10:46 AM

2015 MBZ S 550
Anyone? Anyone? 107 views and no thoughts on my question?

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 66 Likes on 22 Posts
W223 S580, Range Rover Supercharged LWB, Audi A8L, BMW 750i, Porsche 911 Carrera S (997)
Sounds like you have the highest leather option, "exclusive nappa". Is there cross stitching on the dash by the passenger side?

If so, everything else you see is real leather, including the overhead door handles. Nice.
The following users liked this post:
Socalsteve (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 01:17 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
04 Lexus LS430
no he said there was no priced option for leather so it can't be exclusive nappa. I think the dash etc is only real leather if you have this option, so the rest of the panels besides seats may be MB Tex, not sure though.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:22 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by Skerdian
Sounds like you have the highest leather option, "exclusive nappa". Is there cross stitching on the dash by the passenger side?

If so, everything else you see is real leather, including the overhead door handles. Nice.
No cross section stitching, not exclusive nappa, no charge leather option.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 S550, 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV
Originally Posted by Socalsteve
Hi all,

Just picked up a very well optioned CPO 2015 S550 ( $122k sticker ). It has "Standard" black/black leather ( no priced option for this ). It looks like there is leather pretty much everywhere on the interior of the car ( and stitching galore ) . Beyond the seating surfaces, is the rest of the interior real leather? Or, the fake MBtex. Sure smells like real leather ( when I turn off the aroma thingy ).

It does have the $950.00 exclusive trim package. There is a ton of wood all over the interior.
Steve
Msrp of $122K and $950 ex trim pack with standard leather?! Damn, who but a random computer builds a car like that?
Don't believe leather for door trim and dash...
Old 01-21-2017, 07:59 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by 714Merc
Msrp of $122K and $950 ex trim pack with standard leather?! Damn, who but a random computer builds a car like that?
Don't believe leather for door trim and dash...
i guess everyone's priorities are different. Original owner spent $10k on the stereo, magic body control and heads up display. I do not believe it was built by a " random" computer.

With it being all black, tons of black wood and stitching, it's still a very cool interior.

Last edited by Socalsteve; 01-21-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Beyond the seating surfaces, is the rest of the interior real leather?
Check your PM.
Attached Thumbnails Leather question...-capture.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Socalsteve (01-23-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 10:36 AM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Check your PM.
Thank you so much for this!

My car has code 201 for the leather interior option, not P34. The exclusive trim package is separate and my understanding only adds more wood bits to the inside of the car, nothing else.

So, the question still has not been answered. Does my car have real leather throughout or does it use MB Tex in some parts of the interior.

Last edited by Socalsteve; 01-22-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Thank you so much for this!

My car has code 201 for the leather interior option, not P34. The exclusive trim package is separate and my understanding only adds more wood bits to the inside of the car, nothing else.

So, the question still has not been answered. Does my car have real leather throughout or does it use MB Tex in some parts of the interior.
It's been a while looking at these but the base leather means the seats; the rest is MB-Tex. Maybe the center armrest as well.

Nappa leather option has seats, armrest/center console in (nappa) leather and the rest (door panels, dash) in MB-Tex.

Exclusive Nappa has all panels in Nappa Leather

The exclusive trim can only be had with the standard leather if the Designo wood options were chosen. The exclusive Nappa actually required the exclusive trim (6 more wood trim pieces)

Last edited by Wolfman; 01-22-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:32 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by Wolfman
It's been a while looking at these but the base leather means the seats; the rest is MB-Tex. Maybe the center armrest as well.

Nappa leather option has seats, armrest/center console in (nappa) leather and the rest (door panels, dash) in MB-Tex.

The exclusive trim can only be had with the standard leather if the Designo wood options were chosen. The exclusive Nappa actually required the exclusive trim (6 more wood trim pieces)
With all due respect, this is incorrect. My car has the exclusive trim package with the black poplar wood, which is not a Designo option.

I think you are correct regarding the leather and MB Tex, but I think the door armrests and around the steering wheel is real leather as well.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:52 PM

With all due respect, this is incorrect. My car has the exclusive trim package with the black poplar wood, which is not a Designo option.

I think you are correct regarding the leather and MB Tex, but I think the door armrests and around the steering wheel is real leather as well.
Originally when the 222 was released, that was the case I believe...
You might want to try using the build configuator to see what changes in the interior when you click between standard and nappa leather. I find the Germany configuator to be far superior to mbusa...

Edit: When I ordered my car in March of '13, system would not let me order exclusive trim w/o getting designo. I went with the mid-level nappa because MB could not even tell me what the cost of the highest leather trim would be...

Last edited by 714Merc; 01-22-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63

Wolfman,

I believe you may be incorrect on "The exclusive trim can only be had with the standard leather if the Designo wood options were chosen".

I have attahced a page from each of the Dealer Order Guides I had when ordering my '14 and '16 S Classes.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Trim INFO from 2014 DOG.pdf (73.9 KB, 151 views)
Trim INFO from 2016 DOG.pdf (210.2 KB, 337 views)
Old 01-22-2017, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MTrauman
Wolfman,

I believe you may be incorrect on "The exclusive trim can only be had with the standard leather if the Designo wood options were chosen".

I have attahced a page from each of the Dealer Order Guides I had when ordering my '14 and '16 S Classes.
Spot on. Let me correct my statement:
The exclusive trim package can be ordered with any wood but MUST be ordered when Designo wood is selected.

Last edited by Wolfman; 01-22-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

The steering wheel is always Nappa Leather, independent of the selected leather option. I have to check again on the armrests (it's been a couple of years since I checked last) but I thought not.

You are correct on the trim; it could be ordered with all woods. What I mixed up is that any Designo wood requires the exclusive trim and was not optional.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:20 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
The steering wheel is always Nappa Leather, independent of the selected leather option. I have to check again on the armrests (it's been a couple of years since I checked last) but I thought not.

You are correct on the trim; it could be ordered with all woods. What I mixed up is that any Designo wood requires the exclusive trim and was not optional.
Thank you! Looking forward to what you come up with...
Old 01-26-2017, 12:07 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Check your PM.
As a follow up to this, a big thank you to Konigstiger for checking what is and is not leather in my vehicle through the VIN.

Here is what he came up with:

Leather: dash, front center lower console, seats surfaces + rear center armrest, front door panels + armrest, rear door panels + armrest

Not leather: front center upper console & armrest

So, it is mostly all leather surfaces. Unless you want all that extra stitching, why would anyone pay more for upgraded leather. Pretty much the entire interior of the car is leather without paying anything extra.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
As a follow up to this, a big thank you to Konigstiger for checking what is and is not leather in my vehicle through the VIN.

Leather: dash, front center lower console, seats surfaces + rear center armrest, front door panels + armrest, rear door panels + armrest

So, it is mostly all leather surfaces. Unless you want all that extra stitching, why would anyone pay more for upgraded leather. Pretty much the entire interior of the car is leather without paying anything extra.

Oh but there is a SIGNIFICANT Difference that is why you would pay extra for upgraded leather.

I cannot attest to going from the standard to upgrade but I can attest to going from Nappa to Exclusive Nappa--what a difference.

In my '14 S550 4matic I had the Nappa upgrade. In my "16 S550 4matic I decided to order the Exclusive Nappa Leather. The difference is night and day in feel. The feel of the soft supple leather on virtually all the surfaces. So much so that I will consider the Designo leather upgrade the next time around. I initially did not think there would be that much difference and that is why I went with Nappa on the '14 (which was similar to the Premium Leather on my '08 S550 4matic). but I have had the Nappa and Exclusive Nappa and will always go with the upgrade to the Exclusive based on what I have lived with.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:45 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Oh but there is a SIGNIFICANT Difference that is why you would pay extra for upgraded leather.

I cannot attest to going from the standard to upgrade but I can attest to going from Nappa to Exclusive Nappa--what a difference.

In my '14 S550 4matic I had the Nappa upgrade. In my "16 S550 4matic I decided to order the Exclusive Nappa Leather. The difference is night and day in feel. The feel of the soft supple leather on virtually all the surfaces. So much so that I will consider the Designo leather upgrade the next time around. I initially did not think there would be that much difference and that is why I went with Nappa on the '14 (which was similar to the Premium Leather on my '08 S550 4matic). but I have had the Nappa and Exclusive Nappa and will always go with the upgrade to the Exclusive based on what I have lived with.
Beyond all the cross weave stitching and a softer feel, what else do you get for the extra $$$? I, for one, love an all black interior so different color choices would mean nothing to me.

Remember, I bought my car CPO, I had no choices on options ( save buying a different car ) but I'm not sure I would have paid more for the upgraded leather.

My car came with the trifecta of not so popular options to order : heads up display, 3D stereo upgrade and Magic Body Control. The original owner spent $122,700.00 and I think he spent it wisely. And yes, it has the AMG pkg, Luxury pkg and the Driver Assistance pkg as well. I don't think I would have checked or unchecked any boxes.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Konigstiger is great for anything MB but that info is incorrect.
Example: Only the exclusive Nappa Leather options has a leather dash. Both the standard and Nappa leather option use MB-Tex.

Not sure what got mixed up...
Old 01-26-2017, 02:01 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Konigstiger is great for anything MB but that info is incorrect.
Example: Only the exclusive Nappa Leather options has a leather dash. Both the standard and Nappa leather option use MB-Tex.

Not sure what got mixed up...
Where can I find out EXACTLY what is leather and what is MB Tex in my car?

Thank you!
Old 01-26-2017, 03:18 PM

+1
Would have gotten exclusive had MB been able to quote me a price tag @ ordering.
Base leather in the S-Class = $35,000 Infiniti...
Old 01-26-2017, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Where can I find out EXACTLY what is leather and what is MB Tex in my car?

Thank you!
Few manufacturers will provide exact breakdowns of materials used. Unless there is leather everywhere, it becomes challenging to get exact info. Most dealers will get it wrong.

Here is some official info from Mercedes Germany for base and Nappa leather. FWIW...

Polsterung Leder, bestehend aus Sitzen in Leder mit Kontrastziernähten, Instrumententafeloberteil in Ledernachbildung ARTICO

Polsterung Leder Nappa, bestehend aus Sitzen mit Kontrastziernähten, Mittelarmlehne vorn und hinten jeweils in Nappa Leder

I would translate it this way:
Base: Leather Upholstery consists of seats in leather with contrast stitching, upper dash in simulated leather ARTICO (MB-Tex)

Nappa option: Nappa Upholstery consists of seats with contrast stitching, center armrest front and rear, all in Nappa leather
Old 01-26-2017, 04:52 PM

2015 MBZ S 550
Originally Posted by 714Merc
+1
Would have gotten exclusive had MB been able to quote me a price tag @ ordering.
Base leather in the S-Class = $35,000 Infiniti...
Wow, interesting that you say this as I passed by many CPO S cars in my search for the " right one" for me. Every car that had the upgraded leather I found to be ugly and ostentatious. I much preferred upgraded electronics, suspension, etc over a car that looked like it had upholstery done right out of Tijuana.

But, to each there own. That's why there are so many boxes to be checked and unchecked during the buying process.

As a wise man once said: That's why they don't paint all cars green.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
2015 s550...
Attached Thumbnails Leather question...-capture.jpg  
Attached Files
WDDUG8CB2FA192751.pdf (74.7 KB, 166 views)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Leather question...