S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Inernet/camera problems with 2017 S550

Old 02-03-2017, 12:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2017 S550
Inernet/camera problems with 2017 S550

Hi everyone. New member here.

Took delivery of 2017 S550 6 weeks ago. A lot to love about it but have had problems with 1. 360 degree camera, and 2. internet connectivity.

Apparently 360 camera problem is a known issue so had to get a new camera module installed and everything seems to be working now.

Internet matter has yet to be solved. I cannot get into MB apps or internet radio more than 80% of the time. Keep getting error message on Command Screen, generally something like the data requested cannot be downloaded at this time.

Have had it to dealer several times. They say it is not a problem with my vehicle but have identified the problem as something having to do with the way MB USA servers regulate vehicle connection to the internet.

I am sharing this because I want others to know about it and also to see if anyone else is having similar issues with either S class or other model MBs.

This is a brand new vehicle and I do not feel I should keep it unless this problem is rectified.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,411 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by zenophonz
Internet matter has yet to be solved.
VPN @ MB, see attached bulletin. I suggest you keep in touch with dealer for progress.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LI82.95-P-065585_Ver_1.pdf (32.7 KB, 172 views)
The following users liked this post:
Pntblnk (02-04-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 GL63, 2015 S550, 2006 SL55
With regard to your camera problems, what was replaced, the camera module, the camera or the Comand module? My 2015 S550 360-dgree cameras do not work well in low light conditions.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63

Took delivery of 2017 S550 6 weeks ago. A lot to love about it but have had problems with 1. 360 degree camera, and 2. internet connectivity.

Apparently 360 camera problem is a known issue so had to get a new camera module installed and everything seems to be working now.

Internet matter has yet to be solved. I cannot get into MB apps or internet radio more than 80% of the time. Keep getting error message on Command Screen, generally something like the data requested cannot be downloaded at this time.

Have had it to dealer several times. They say it is not a problem with my vehicle but have identified the problem as something having to do with the way MB USA servers regulate vehicle connection to the internet.

I am sharing this because I want others to know about it and also to see if anyone else is having similar issues with either S class or other model MBs.

This is a brand new vehicle and I do not feel I should keep it unless this problem is rectified.

You may want to consider selling your '17 S Class because in my opinion MB will NEVER solve the internet MB apps problem. I have documented these issues in my '14 and '16 S Class since 2013 on this forum in different places.

When I had my '14 S class before it was totaled by the insurance, I spent 6 months almost daily talking to tier 2 tech support to get the apps and the internet working. Finally, MBrace realized (the nut that I am) I was not going away and they had to get my apps/internet working. Finally they did and it work some of the time.

With my '16 S Class purchased in Sept of 2015, I have dealing with this same issue. More recently in December and January 2017. The story goes they are updating their network (I have heard it all over the years). The '17 S Class should be better once yours starts to work since I believe the '17 comes with the equipment to handle 4g whereas the prior S class cars were 3g. With all that said, since I am a huge pain in the you know what for MBrace, they got my internet radio and apps working almost flawlessly over the past 3 weeks. So it seems like they are doing something to the network since it has now been working the best in the past 3 weeks compared to my total experience since late 2013.

Good luck. If you bought the wonderful (I love my S Class) S Class for the MBrace Apps/internet you better put the ad in the paper to sell it so you don't continue to be disappointed.
zenophonz (02-05-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 12:31 PM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550

Just curious why you think having the apps and internet radio is so important? Is this something that you cannot get using your smartphone and BT audio? Or using the MBrace concierge service through the built in phone? What specifically do you require?

Or, is it just that it's something you paid for and you want it to work?

If you really do need these features, you may want to try a Japanese car company.

Good luck!
zenophonz (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 05:28 PM

2017 S550
Camera module.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:29 PM

2017 S550
Pain for it and want it to work.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:30 PM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550
Pain for it and want it to work.
My suggestion would be to sell your super high end, top of the line German sedan and buy a Japanese car. You will get Wifi.