New owner of a 2014 S550 - couple of ?s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Where did you guys grab power from? Do you use parking mode? Did you set the power cut off below 12V?

I was thinking of using Velcro and attaching it to the side of the trunk battery for a neat and hidden install, and also protecting draining the battery. You can also daisy chain 2 of these for extended recording.
https://www.blackboxmycar.com/produc...link-battery-b
usually power is supplied by the windshield camera , through a wire.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:55 PM

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 S550
Where did you guys grab power from? Do you use parking mode? Did you set the power cut off below 12V?

I was thinking of using Velcro and attaching it to the side of the trunk battery for a neat and hidden install, and also protecting draining the battery. You can also daisy chain 2 of these for extended recording.
https://www.blackboxmycar.com/produc...link-battery-b
I grabbed power from the drivers side, inside fuse box. I have an add-a-fuse for my radar detector and a separate one for my camera. I use parking mode and it's set to continuous. I have power cutoff set at 12v. I also have a 128 gb micro so card. I will check to see how far back it records (if it can save all 11 hours parked while I'm at work or if it cuts off).

M not sure where you are suggesting using Velcro for a neat, hidden install... pics would be helpful
Old 02-11-2017, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by Matthayes3741
I grabbed power from the drivers side, inside fuse box. I have an add-a-fuse for my radar detector and a separate one for my camera. I use parking mode and it's set to continuous. I have power cutoff set at 12v. I also have a 128 gb micro so card. I will check to see how far back it records (if it can save all 11 hours parked while I'm at work or if it cuts off).

M not sure where you are suggesting using Velcro for a neat, hidden install... pics would be helpful
I did not do the install yet. I plan on purchasing 1 or possibly 2 of the following
Battery Packs https://www.blackboxmycar.com/produc...link-battery-b

I plan on installing them in the Trunk and Velcro it to the Main battery and Connect it to the Main battery. The Cellink will power the Dash Cam. The Cell Link will automatically charge up as you drive and once you shut the car off, it does not pull any power from your battery. It has the ability to add a second unit to double the time. You can get decent record times from them and never worry about draining down your main battery so low. Constantly draining down to 12v will affect the battery over time. Also, you may notice your ECO SS will not activate till you have driven for at least 1/2 hr.

Here is another unit I just found...
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Nice Ride; 02-11-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I did not do the install yet. I plan on purchasing 1 or possibly 2 of the following
Battery Packs https://www.blackboxmycar.com/produc...link-battery-b

I plan on installing them in the Trunk and Velcro it to the Main battery and Connect it to the Main battery. The Cellink will power the Dash Cam. The Cell Link will automatically charge up as you drive and once you shut the car off, it does not pull any power from your battery. It has the ability to add a second unit to double the time. You can get decent record times from them and never worry about draining down your main battery so low. Constantly draining down to 12v will affect the battery over time. Also, you may notice your ECO SS will not activate till you have driven for at least 1/2 hr.

Here is another unit I just found... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CHYKOD0...486863207&sr=3

ECO is one of the most loathed features. Who would want to use that?
Old 02-11-2017, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by Wolfman
ECO is one of the most loathed features. Who would want to use that?
Not that it may be important as a feature to someone who does not want it, however I am trying to inform anyone who uses a battery down to 12V is slowly damaging the battery prematurely. The reason that ECO will not turn Green is that the amperage of the battery is low, and will take time to get the battery amperage (charged) back up.

Here is some helpful voltage ranges. 100% charged is 13.2V-12.8V. 75% is 12.4 V. 50% is 12.2 V. 25% is 12.0 V. Anything lower than 12 volts is extremely discharged and should be re-charged as soon as possible. - See more at: https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/arti....V3PQ129F.dpuf

You will surely degrade the Life of your Battery if you constantly let it go to 12V.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Not that it may be important as a feature to someone who does not want it, however I am trying to inform anyone who uses a battery down to 12V is slowly damaging the battery prematurely. The reason that ECO will not turn Green is that the amperage of the battery is low, and will take time to get the battery amperage (charged) back up.

Here is some helpful voltage ranges. 100% charged is 13.2V-12.8V. 75% is 12.4 V. 50% is 12.2 V. 25% is 12.0 V. Anything lower than 12 volts is extremely discharged and should be re-charged as soon as possible. - See more at: https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/arti....V3PQ129F.dpuf

You will surely degrade the Life of your Battery if you constantly let it go to 12V.
I can't speak to the theoretical aspects of running down the battery to 12V but having had dash cams running in parking mode on all our cars for the last 3 years plus, only our BMW had issues.
That was primarily due to the under-sized factory battery that couldn't handle the efficient dynamics's software logic in sub-zero weather. Subsequent BMW software and battery updates solved that.

MB's have been running fine both with the PowerMagic Pro (in the S & ML) and the Multi-Safer (SL). Just FYI
Old 02-11-2017, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I can't speak to the theoretical aspects of running down the battery to 12V but having had dash cams running in parking mode on all our cars for the last 3 years plus, only our BMW had issues.
That was primarily due to the under-sized factory battery that couldn't handle the efficient dynamics's software logic in sub-zero weather. Subsequent BMW software and battery updates solved that.

MB's have been running fine both with the PowerMagic Pro (in the S & ML) and the Multi-Safer (SL). Just FYI
Good to know, here is some additional info on how others are using the product without constantly draining the battery and giving additional recording time.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:59 PM

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 S550
I just purchased the F770 also. Can you post some photos of it installed? Does the rear camera interfere with the rear sunshade? Did you go with the standalone battery pack or direct to the battery.

Thanks....

It will be interesting if the dealer is going to throw in the bags stuffed with cash, uh, I mean the rear pillows... Get ready for a song from them. I'd be surprised if they throw them in...
My salesman ordered a spare key and pillows (or so he says he did). I will post if/when I get them. I would bet that I will since he said he ordered them for me. He seemed like a cool guy and I walked in off the street, bought the car and walked out an hour later... fairly easy commission since I didn't haggle much