Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > General Forums > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Off Topic Use this forum to discuss non-Mercedes related items or anything that doesn't belong in the above forums.

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2005, 12:26 PM   #1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: The True OG Modded out W203
Send a message via AIM to LorinserCClass Send a message via MSN to LorinserCClass Send a message via Yahoo to LorinserCClass
Racial Discrimation or Social Class Discrimation?

I know minorities are quick to jump the gun and call mistreatment, racial profiling or bad customer service as racial discrimination, but is it really? When a white/asian/etc gets treated the same way then is it really racial or is it more class based? I've been pondering this actually-maybe racism is not as bad as we make it out to be. Maybe we pull the 'racial' card too much and its not really all racial-maybe its because the way you look and act that puts you in 'their' eyes in a lower class causing class discrimination. What do you guys think? Some feedback or added thoughs anyone?
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

Last Few Pix of My Baby Before She Was Handed Over To The New Owner...

Now chillin in:
'10 Audi A5 Ibis White on Black--MODDED! Oh snap we starting again!
'06 RR Sport Chawton White on Alpaca <----R.I.P 6/1/7 :(
'05 Audi A6 Midnight Blue on Ameretto <----EX wrecked :(
LorinserCClass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 12:53 PM   #2

Drives: 07M45
Racism still exists. Keep in mind that African-Americans arent the only ones subjected to it. White people, excuse the term, get it also.

Hey I like being black. I think Im a cool as mofocker, roflmfas. :p

What was the question again?
Old 07-26-2005, 12:55 PM   #3
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorinserCClass
I know minorities are quick to jump the gun and call mistreatment, racial profiling or bad customer service as racial discrimination, but is it really? When a white/asian/etc gets treated the same way then is it really racial or is it more class based? I've been pondering this actually-maybe racism is not as bad as we make it out to be. Maybe we pull the 'racial' card too much and its not really all racial-maybe its because the way you look and act that puts you in 'their' eyes in a lower class causing class discrimination. What do you guys think? Some feedback or added thoughs anyone?
My city is almost at 50% minorities, so soon the majority will join the list of minorities and I will get my chance to play the 'race' card, please don't spoil my future fun! :v
Old 07-26-2005, 01:36 PM   #4
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: haven't touched a wheel in a while
I think that a lot of it is the way you present yourself. I never let anyone think that even for a split sec. that they could disrespect me and so it has never happened. BTW I am black own my own business and all of my clients are white.

"If women didn't exist all the money in the world would have no meaning" -A. Onassis
M1M2M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 01:40 PM   #5

Drives: 2005 C230K, 2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan
Send a message via AIM to nichole76 Send a message via Yahoo to nichole76
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1M2M3
I think that a lot of it is the way you present yourself. I never let anyone think that even for a split sec. that they could disrespect me and so it has never happened. BTW I am black own my own business and all of my clients are white.
Have you ever experienced going to a restaurant and being seating before other parties but being served after them or not being served at all. If you have, did you just get up and leave, or did you voice your concerns to the restaurant management? If this has never happened to you, hypothetically, what would you do?

nichole76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 01:48 PM   #6
MBWorld Fanatic!

Send a message via AIM to LorinserCClass Send a message via MSN to LorinserCClass Send a message via Yahoo to LorinserCClass
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichole76
Have you ever experienced going to a restaurant and being seating before other parties but being served after them or not being served at all. If you have, did you just get up and leave, or did you voice your concerns to the restaurant management? If this has never happened to you, hypothetically, what would you do?

I had that happen a couple of times actually. I DONT leave if I really want to eat there-I mean you already waited so why should you go out of your way to find another restaurant? And how will the manager KNOW that they ****ed up? So the times it has happened I do talk to the manager and tell them that it makes made me upset and if that is normal practice. I dont look for a free ride but the fact that they offer comp appetizers/desserts or drinks doesnt hurt They need to learn their lesson

Now chillin in:
Old 07-26-2005, 01:51 PM   #7

Quote:
I had that happen a couple of times actually. I DONT leave if I really want to eat there-I mean you already waited so why should you go out of your way to find another restaurant? And how will the manager KNOW that they ****ed up? So the times it has happened I do talk to the manager and tell them that it makes made me upset and if that is normal practice. I dont look for a free ride but the fact that they offer comp appetizers/desserts or drinks doesnt hurt They need to learn their lesson
Now, why do you think that happened? Racial discrimination, class discrimination, or simple inattention on the waiter/waitress' behalf?

Old 07-26-2005, 01:54 PM   #8
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quote:
Now, why do you think that happened? Racial discrimination, class discrimination, or simple inattention on the waiter/waitress' behalf?

Well I would love to believe it was waiter/waitress miscommunication error but my GF swears to god it was racial(she is one of those mexican activist people lol). But I do think it was more of a class based discrimination. The couple they hopped in front looked like the 'Average rich white couple' as we had the 'Latinos trying to fit in' look. What did you do in your situation?

Now chillin in:
Old 07-26-2005, 02:04 PM   #9
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quote:
I have not had any issues in any upscale establishment. A few times when I just wanted to get a quick bite from Applebee's and similar dining facilities It would take excessively long, but I put that inpart to an incompetent waiting and cooking staff. What would I do? I always want to speak to whoever is in charge. I would definatly give that person an earfull. In my experiences fellow minorities are more prejudice to me than whites.

"If women didn't exist all the money in the world would have no meaning" -A. Onassis
Old 07-26-2005, 02:30 PM   #10
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: E350
Trust me racism still exist. ITs funny my town has white power guys running around and saying they are for **** rule and what not, and most arent even german.

Also racism exist againest white people too, its ok for a minority to make a joke about a white guy, but a white guy better not make a joke about a minority. Also if a white guy were to wear FUBU, or Sean Jean, he is considered a wigger, which is funny since most rap cds are bought by young white males.

This was written by an Irish/Black/Native American.

you know, I didnt think it could get lower then the folks who frequent off topic, but damn, you C class owners are doing a pretty good job of making us OT members look reel smaht
-Pete
FThornton666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 02:39 PM   #11
Out Of Control!!

Drives: In the market
In my eyes..it is all about presentation. I am guilty of discrimination, but it has nothing to do with race...and not always class. If some one approaches me with with a respectable dimeanor, carries and dresses themselves in an appropriate and socially acceptable manner, and speaks in a courteous tone with an at least attempt at appropriate english I will definitley hold their concerns to a higher level of importance than someone who approaches me with a trashy "don't care" appearance or a bad attitude or who speaks in a form of un-recognized english.
Brunelleschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 02:41 PM   #12
Out Of Control!!

We have white, black, asian, mexican....can we make a new race called white trash?
Old 07-26-2005, 02:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunelleschi
We have white, black, asian, mexican....can we make a new race called white trash?
Shhhhh...there there...it's okay dear. You'll be out of Oklahoma soon enough.

Old 07-26-2005, 02:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Well I would love to believe it was waiter/waitress miscommunication error but my GF swears to god it was racial(she is one of those mexican activist people lol). But I do think it was more of a class based discrimination. The couple they hopped in front looked like the 'Average rich white couple' as we had the 'Latinos trying to fit in' look. What did you do in your situation?
Well, we got up and walked out. I personally wanted to ask to speak to the manager to let him/her know why we were leaving. However, my hubby said that I was just being confrontational, and it was suggested that I just leave without saying anything. I did, but I was fuming afterwards.

Old 07-26-2005, 02:55 PM   #15
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192
My city is almost at 50% minorities, so soon the majority will join the list of minorities and I will get my chance to play the 'race' card, please don't spoil my future fun! :v

LOL laying in wait to become a minority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunelleschi
In my eyes..it is all about presentation. I am guilty of discrimination, but it has nothing to do with race...and not always class. If some one approaches me with with a respectable dimeanor, carries and dresses themselves in an appropriate and socially acceptable manner, and speaks in a courteous tone with an at least attempt at appropriate english I will definitley hold their concerns to a higher level of importance than someone who approaches me with a trashy "don't care" appearance or a bad attitude or who speaks in a form of un-recognized english.
True true but not everyone sees it this way...

Now chillin in:
Old 07-26-2005, 02:55 PM   #16
Out Of Control!!

Drives: K Car
Everybody discriminates. Be it against color of skin, color of hair, sex, religion, age, sexual orientation, or even body odor. :p

To answer the original question, yes, I do believe the race card is played much to often in todays society.

To nichole76, Yes, I have been seated sooner, and waited longer to be served. Could it have been racism? Maybe. Or perhaps it's just poor service.

Yes, racism exists in the US and around the world today. However, it doesn't exist at the level that some believe it does. Just because someone is rude to you does not mean they are racist.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 02:55 PM   #17
Out Of Control!!

Quote:
Shhhhh...there there...it's okay dear. You'll be out of Oklahoma soon enough.
You know me too well
Old 07-26-2005, 02:59 PM   #18
MBWorld Fanatic!

With everything I said, I was not saying that discrimination does not exist. Many of my childhood friends experience it on a regular basis. It is probably presentation more than anything else. I am a well dressed well spoken black man and some of my friends are not. I think that is the differentiation.

Old 07-26-2005, 03:00 PM   #19
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: E350
Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker
Everybody discriminates. Be it against color of skin, color of hair, sex, religion, age, sexual orientation, or even body odor. :p

To answer the original question, yes, I do believe the race card is played much to often in todays society.

To nichole76, Yes, I have been seated sooner, and waited longer to be served. Could it have been racism? Maybe. Or perhaps it's just poor service.

Yes, racism exists in the US and around the world today. However, it doesn't exist at the level that some believe it does. Just because someone is rude to you does not mean they are racist.

Im sorry but if you smel you need to go home and take a shower.

I had the worst experience in my like when i was 10 and flew coach with my sister and bro back from italy.....O MY Lord, it smelt like a cow farm, if you ever smelt B.O. times that by like 10 and then think about it on an airplane and you cant escape it. Funny thing is i flew first class the way there but let my sister in law take that seat home. :note for life: Fly first class always going international.

you know, I didnt think it could get lower then the folks who frequent off topic, but damn, you C class owners are doing a pretty good job of making us OT members look reel smaht
-Pete
FThornton666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 03:20 PM   #20
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker
Just because someone is rude to you does not mean they are racist.

EXACTLY. Many activists and people that use the race card a lot fail to understand this.

Now chillin in:
Old 07-26-2005, 03:22 PM   #21
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quote:
Well, we got up and walked out. I personally wanted to ask to speak to the manager to let him/her know why we were leaving. However, my hubby said that I was just being confrontational, and it was suggested that I just leave without saying anything. I did, but I was fuming afterwards.

I think its always good to let them know that you've feel you've been 'wronged'. To me it justifies them if I dont acknowledge.

Now chillin in:
Old 07-26-2005, 03:51 PM   #22
Admin Alumni

Drives: See Garage
Sometimes poor service is just poor service. The waiter designated for your table might have been on break, or going off shift, and a new waiter for your table had not been assigned, yet. Ever sign-in at the doctor's office and watch others who sign in later get called first? Happens to me all the time, and I'm white, and make note... I am often passed over by non-whites. Maybe I'm stupid, but I don't assume racism is at work.

I watched an interesting debate on CNN last week during the "Harlem Book Club" annual book fair. On the dais were several African American authors, including Michael Eric Dyson, author of "Was Bill Cosby Right?"

It's clear to me that there exists a schism within the African American community on what constitutes racism, and further, what to do about it within the AA community. Bill Cosby has made several pronouncements on this, suggesting the community clean up its own act if it wants respect. This has been countered by Michael Eric Dyson, among others, saying that Cosby has sold out.

It appears if you are a successful black in the US, you often get labelled by your own kind as a sell-out... that you apparently had to sell out in order to get ahead. The "Uncle Tom" syndrome has been around for a hundred years. But I find its continuance within the AA community disconcerting.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:07 PM   #23

Drives: SL 500
it does exist but you can minimize it..

Well, i am glad we can finally have an open mature discussion about this. I do feel racism does exist. It's very subtle in the business world especially in coroporate america because a fear of lawsuits. But the pattern of hiring managers, VPs and CEOs in Fortune 500 companies are indictive of this. There are many Asians,Africian-Americans,and Lations in corporate america doing very well in IT, Sales, Consulting, but when it comes time to promote and move someone to a higher degree of management, I have personally seen a resistance to promote minorities.

In day-to-day interactions, I don't personally see racism, but who knows what the other person may be thinking,etc. If people begin to teach their children the basics of respectful matters, courtesy and most of all appreciation of other cultures, then, this would be a mute issue.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB-BOB
Sometimes poor service is just poor service. The waiter designated for your table might have been on break, or going off shift, and a new waiter for your table had not been assigned, yet.
It is indeed possible, but that wasnt the case in my situation. There were 4 tables in the area where we were sitting, including ours. There was one waitress and she was moving between the three tables, of course excluding ours. So at first I thought, maybe she's not our waitress so we sat there and waited for someone else. Then, an eldery white couple came in after we had been there for 20 mins and sat at the table right across from ours. Right away, she came over to their table and took their drink order. So I figured, okay, she's going to come to us next. As soon as she got their order, she cut her eyes over to our table, turned away and walked to the kitchen. That's when we left

Old 07-26-2005, 04:13 PM   #25
MBWorld Fanatic!

For an African American to climb the corporate ladder he/she has to make sure they have the proper credentials. Also from a reputable institution. You have to be clean as a whistle, and aside from the color of you skin not have anything going on that screams HEY I'M BLACK. And unfortunatly for some this even involves your name. You can't have an extra ghetto name and want to be the CEO.

Old 07-26-2005, 04:13 PM

Tags
70s, america, bridgette, class, classes, costa, discrimation, famous, mybb, nicole, people, powered, racism, rica, social, stereotypes, thornton, vbulletin