Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > General Forums > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Off Topic Use this forum to discuss non-Mercedes related items or anything that doesn't belong in the above forums.

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
starbrite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,564
Drives: 2004 E320
Do you tip your service advisor ?

If so, how much ? Also, does repair in or out of warranty make a difference ?
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

__________________
2004 E320 4Matic, Tectite, Pano roof, keyless go, Navi, appearance package
starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:26 PM   #2
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Cylinder Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 5,595
Drives: '09 E63, '06 M5 Gone With The Wind
If he goes above and beyond, or if he repairs something out of warranty for free, I say a benji is in order.
__________________
'07 Barbie Scooter
Glock: Austrian for "Lemming"
Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and generally more useful.

I much prefer the outtakes from "Getaway in Stockholm"
Cylinder Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
NY C32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NYC / Miami
Posts: 3,612
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3 ZCP
I have but only because he had his guys busting their asses to get my car ready before Christmas. I gave him a $50
__________________
NYC
NY C32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:32 PM   #4
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
starbrite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,564
Drives: 2004 E320
Thanks CH, just wasn't sure...what you say makes sense, but a hundred bucks is pretty generous !.

NY...that was above and beyond for sure and the 50 well desrved !
__________________
2004 E320 4Matic, Tectite, Pano roof, keyless go, Navi, appearance package

Last edited by starbrite; 10-11-2006 at 05:38 PM.
starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:38 PM   #5
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
MiamiAMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Magic City
Posts: 5,098
Drives: C63
No, but i always give him a gift basket or a couple of bottles of wine for the holidays.
__________________

Mercedes-Benz World Gun Owner's Club, Member # 4
MiamiAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:40 PM   #6
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
starbrite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,564
Drives: 2004 E320
Miami...I like that one. Shows some thought and probably more appreciated by the SA.
__________________
2004 E320 4Matic, Tectite, Pano roof, keyless go, Navi, appearance package
starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:41 PM   #7
Out Of Control!!
 
revstriker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Obama Land
Posts: 12,167
Drives: K Car
Nope. I assume the dealership pays him/her a salary.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:42 PM   #8
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Air Marshall Eldritch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,596
Drives: John Deere
The thought never crossed my mind. Then again, the SA's at my previous dealer were Beavis and Butthead wearing ties.
Air Marshall Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:43 PM   #9
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Cylinder Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 5,595
Drives: '09 E63, '06 M5 Gone With The Wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrite View Post
Miami...I like that one. Shows some thought and probably more appreciated by the SA.
Back in the day I have a Volvo C70 Coupe, which my brother still has. My SA replaced the Head and Valvetrain when the car was 5,000 miles out of warranty, and before that he never voided my warranty regardless of what suspension or turbo mods I showed up with. When I think about how much that engine work would have cost I still cringe, hence the well desserved benji.

50 bucks seems a tad more feasable for less expensive work.
__________________
'07 Barbie Scooter
Glock: Austrian for "Lemming"
Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and generally more useful.

I much prefer the outtakes from "Getaway in Stockholm"
Cylinder Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:46 PM   #10
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Benz-O-Rama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,159
Drives: Eurocharged Stage (1) 2004 E500, Eurocharged/Speedriven ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
I'm so glad you asked this question. I've never been sure what the etiquette is for this. What about the mechanic? Shouldn't he really be the one that gets it? Are we assigned a mechanic so he is familiar with the car or does it go to the next guy in line with a wrench? I don't know, I was just gonna wait until Chrismas and give my SA a hundsky.
__________________

2010 CTS 3.6 SportWagon
2004 E500 - Eurocharged ECU, VRP headers and E55 exhaust
2005 SL600 - Eurocharged ECU/Speedriven TCU



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb1g_f_gBA0



Benz-O-Rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:46 PM   #11
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
starbrite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,564
Drives: 2004 E320
Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
Nope. I assume the dealership pays him/her a salary.
revstriker...that's true, but many positions in the service industry receive tips.
From the mailman/person, UPS drivers (for business), etc. I kind of like the
"gift" idea for the Holidays if an SA goes above and beyond, especially with
questionable warranty coverage items.

BOR..what's a hundsky-a hundred (benji) ? How far down the line including mechanics is a good question. Other than a small repair shop, I've never heard of anyone tipping a mechanic at a dealership.
__________________
2004 E320 4Matic, Tectite, Pano roof, keyless go, Navi, appearance package

Last edited by starbrite; 10-11-2006 at 05:50 PM.
starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:55 PM   #12
Out Of Control!!
 
AsianML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 18,422
Drives: a Jaaaaaag
No. We haven't been to the dealer enough to know our SA. They are a nice group of people though.
__________________
-Vinh
mbWorldFolding@Home! <-Click on the link.
Help Cure Cancer, Alzheimer's, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's, and more!


AsianML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:58 PM   #13
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Air Marshall Eldritch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,596
Drives: John Deere
Tipping is out of control. What percentage of jobs nowadays are considered "service industry"? Tip jars everywhere, hands out everywhere. I must be getting old.
Pretty soon, we'll see cashiers calling themselves "barristas" with tip cup prominently displayed.

Oh wait...
Air Marshall Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:02 PM   #14
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
electromethod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: stix of florida
Posts: 2,615
Drives: 2K3 C230 Sedan
Send a message via AIM to electromethod
Yah. I told my SA about *** Digital Cable. The best tip evar!
__________________
<font color="red"><b> WARNING:</b></font> If you are a "NOOB" then you need to take the NOOB TUTORIAL

Electro Bigalo, European Gigalo.

C7 OEM pedals ** RR 279 - 18X8.5 18X9.5 ** Black Grille ** Smoked Tails and Sides ** Momo Shot ** FMMB Door pins ** K&N for .0001 HP gain! ** Black CF Hood ** Koni Sport Kit

Premier DEH-P960mp ** Pioneer DEQ-7600 ** Pioneer CD-CM1 ** Pioneer GM-D510M ** 2 MBQuart PWE252's ** 2 1F Monster Caps
electromethod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:03 PM   #15
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Cylinder Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 5,595
Drives: '09 E63, '06 M5 Gone With The Wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBrenton View Post
Tipping is out of control. What percentage of jobs nowadays are considered "service industry"? Tip jars everywhere, hands out everywhere. I must be getting old.
Pretty soon, we'll see cashiers calling themselves "barristas" with tip cup prominently displayed.

Oh wait...


I'm such a sucker for tip cups. In Taiwan you're not supposed to tip anybody, and I got yelled at every time I tried to slip the cute waitress something.
__________________
'07 Barbie Scooter
Glock: Austrian for "Lemming"
Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and generally more useful.

I much prefer the outtakes from "Getaway in Stockholm"
Cylinder Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:06 PM   #16
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
NY C32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NYC / Miami
Posts: 3,612
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3 ZCP
Salary has nothing to do my decision to tip. I tip someone if they go beyond their normal job function to make my day, week, month or year better. My mailman doesn't get a tip just because I get my mail nor does a tow truck driver get a tip because he towed my car. The guys in my garage, on the other hand, always have my car ready to go when I call them to say that I'm on my way down. My doormen do because they carry my luggage to my apartment when I come home from traveling. And my SA, in my opinion, deserved a tip because his job doesn't call for me to have my car before a major holiday but he made sure it was done.
__________________
NYC
NY C32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:40 PM   #17
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Air Marshall Eldritch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,596
Drives: John Deere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head View Post


I'm such a sucker for tip cups. In Taiwan you're not supposed to tip anybody, and I got yelled at every time I tried to slip the cute waitress something.
This topic really does take up more time then it should. I now call in-country friends to get an education on the custom, which invariably costs more than the tip itself. The first time I was given a dirty look by a taxi driver in Asia still sticks with me. Gave the guy around $5 because I had no smaller bills from the airport ATM, on a fare that was around $17. I estimate that was close to a day's wages. A dirty look?

When I was valet parking in college, some guy gave me a $20 to let him park near the door to the hotel, rather than park it in the lot. I just wanted to know what I should do after cleaning his wheels with my uniform sleeves.
Air Marshall Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:41 PM   #18
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
newton22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 4,575
Drives: BMW E39
No, my sa can go shove it. Yes, my MB dealer overcharges everything compared to other MB dealers around town.
__________________

SOLD
newton22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:54 PM   #19
Out Of Control!!
 
AsianML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 18,422
Drives: a Jaaaaaag
Since we're on the topic of SAs. What do yours drive? I don't know about the SA at the nearest dealer, but the second nearest said he has an ML500.

Come to think of it, I remember seeing the new shiny SmartKey on his desk. I'm not sure if it was a customer's or his.
__________________
-Vinh
mbWorldFolding@Home! <-Click on the link.
Help Cure Cancer, Alzheimer's, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's, and more!


AsianML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:54 PM   #20
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
electromethod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: stix of florida
Posts: 2,615
Drives: 2K3 C230 Sedan
Send a message via AIM to electromethod
I have a rare and unique benz. It's one that doesn't break down like everyone else's. lmao. That's why I never tip........ thought I will tip a tow truck driver if he is extra careful, etc. Some of you guys are naive.... you need to stay more often at a holiday express!
__________________
<font color="red"><b> WARNING:</b></font> If you are a "NOOB" then you need to take the NOOB TUTORIAL

Electro Bigalo, European Gigalo.

C7 OEM pedals ** RR 279 - 18X8.5 18X9.5 ** Black Grille ** Smoked Tails and Sides ** Momo Shot ** FMMB Door pins ** K&N for .0001 HP gain! ** Black CF Hood ** Koni Sport Kit

Premier DEH-P960mp ** Pioneer DEQ-7600 ** Pioneer CD-CM1 ** Pioneer GM-D510M ** 2 MBQuart PWE252's ** 2 1F Monster Caps
electromethod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:04 PM   #21
Super Member
 
hanniep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: East of I-287 South
Posts: 870
Drives: 01 ML55, 91 Supra Turbo, 05 Audi S4
SA, never did when I was going to my dealer, I did tip the MB detailer when he cleaned my ML cause he did a fantastic job....
__________________


"So much of what we call management consists in making it difficult for people to work."
hanniep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:10 PM   #22
Out Of Control!!
 
revstriker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Obama Land
Posts: 12,167
Drives: K Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrite View Post
revstriker...that's true, but many positions in the service industry receive tips.
From the mailman/person, UPS drivers (for business), etc. I kind of like the
"gift" idea for the Holidays if an SA goes above and beyond, especially with
questionable warranty coverage items.
This is not a reason for me to tip someone. UPS pays the delivery driver to deliver my package, USPS pays the post man to deliver my mail. They are already being paid to do the job that they are doing. No tip is necessary.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:13 PM   #23
Out Of Control!!
 
revstriker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Obama Land
Posts: 12,167
Drives: K Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY C32 View Post
Salary has nothing to do my decision to tip. I tip someone if they go beyond their normal job function to make my day, week, month or year better. My mailman doesn't get a tip just because I get my mail nor does a tow truck driver get a tip because he towed my car. The guys in my garage, on the other hand, always have my car ready to go when I call them to say that I'm on my way down. My doormen do because they carry my luggage to my apartment when I come home from traveling. And my SA, in my opinion, deserved a tip because his job doesn't call for me to have my car before a major holiday but he made sure it was done.
This I agree with. A tip IMO is reserved for when somebody does something for you that they are not being paid to do. I get good service from my SA, but nothing that was deserving of a tip.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:15 PM   #24
Super Moderator
 
amdeutsch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: www.Traben-Trarbach.de
Posts: 14,997
Drives: MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Why is it that most times these types of TIP threads are started by peeps in the northeast? Isn't that were the 25% dining tip started as well. What's next; tip at a McD drive thru because they hand you your food and therefore consider themselves waitstaff.?
__________________
amdeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:20 PM   #25
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
LorinserCClass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: El Pueblo de la Reyna de los Angeles
Posts: 4,605
Drives: The True OG Modded out W203
Send a message via AIM to LorinserCClass Send a message via MSN to LorinserCClass Send a message via Yahoo to LorinserCClass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head View Post
Back in the day I have a Volvo C70 Coupe, which my brother still has. My SA replaced the Head and Valvetrain when the car was 5,000 miles out of warranty, and before that he never voided my warranty regardless of what suspension or turbo mods I showed up with. When I think about how much that engine work would have cost I still cringe, hence the well desserved benji.

50 bucks seems a tad more feasable for less expensive work.

I agree. My SA went far and beyond what he should have and I would take care of him w/gift cards(less obvious than cash to his boss/etc)to Starbucks/Restaurants. I also received items after my warranty expired due to my generosity.
__________________
No REPLICAS No SPONSORS No BS ALL Gangsta

Last Few Pix of My Baby Before She Was Handed Over To The New Owner...

Now chillin in:
'10 Audi A5 Ibis White on Black--MODDED! Oh snap we starting again!
'06 RR Sport Chawton White on Alpaca <----R.I.P 6/1/7 :(
'05 Audi A6 Midnight Blue on Ameretto <----EX wrecked :(
LorinserCClass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:20 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
advisor, allowed, audi, cadillac, car, dealership, deliver, give, lexus, mercedes, service, supposed, tip, tipping, tips, wine



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I Got Ripped-off $15000 On Ebay Motors Buying Slk alrefai SLK-Class (R170) 50 04-29-2014 11:16 AM
My Service Advisor quoted many 98 & 99 have TRANSMISSION failures. Sincity M-Class (W163) 14 07-06-2006 01:54 PM
Car in for service, laundry list! SAguirre E-Class (W211) 13 10-29-2005 04:43 AM
Service Advisors Wraith C-Class (W203) 26 03-16-2005 01:51 PM
MB Service Manuals & Books for Sale suncat Classifieds 1 03-05-2005 05:38 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:49 PM.


Copyright 2001-2012 InternetBrands, Inc. / MBWorld.org. All Rights Reserved.
Everyone's Personal Details