Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > General Forums > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Off Topic Use this forum to discuss non-Mercedes related items or anything that doesn't belong in the above forums.

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 01:54 PM   #1

Drives: in your Mom's car
Send a message via AIM to Inf4life Send a message via MSN to Inf4life Send a message via Yahoo to Inf4life
Range Rover Sport S/C

So I'm on the fence as to whether or not to trade in my car on an 08 RRS S/C with 32k miles. Has anyone had a good experience with them? All I've read is horror stories. Also, how much is the typical service and how often is it performed? Can I get the VIN # and call a local LR dealership and have the service history checked? Does the included maintenance transfer over on a used vehicle?
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

15% Tint
6000k McCulloch HID HL's
6000k McCulloch HID Fog's
MB Gun Owners Club #50
Inf4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: C350 4Matic
Dude... if all you have heard is bad, then why would you bother to fish for a few good stories?? Are you trying to justify the purchase to your self? They are great off road units but if your not taking the queen to the back country on a safari, I would pass.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: 2008 CL600 designo Mocha Black/Cognac Black
Agreed,
listen to the horror stories.
I've got one for you. RR 4.0, coming back form the hospital with my sick 3mo old daughter, Verazzano Bridge (Brooklyn/Staten Island).
Red light plus the message on the cluster, :Engine overheated, system shutting down". Car stops, white smoke, emergency call, the big push bridge special truck appears from nowhere, pushing 80k. SUV briskly from the bridge.
Cause - cooling hose leaking on half a year old Brit's POS.
Funny, one week later after the event, I get the letter from "admirable RR", there is a recall on cooling system and I should bring my SUV for inspection.
A$$holes!
Never again.

Red Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: 95 Audi urS6 Quattro
Send a message via AIM to Militant-Grunt
Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Agreed,
listen to the horror stories.
I've got one for you. RR 4.0, coming back form the hospital with my sick 3mo old daughter, Verazzano Bridge (Brooklyn/Staten Island).
Red light plus the message on the cluster, :Engine overheated, system shutting down". Car stops, white smoke, emergency call, the big push bridge special truck appears from nowhere, pushing 80k. SUV briskly from the bridge.
Cause - cooling hose leaking on half a year old Brit's POS.
Funny, one week later after the event, I get the letter from "admirable RR", there is a recall on cooling system and I should bring my SUV for inspection.
A$$holes!
Never again.
Those cars were made under BMW ownership, unfortunately with a rover v8 motor. The later cars are much better. From 02-05 they used the BMW 4.4L found in the X5. (Actually reliable) And then they ruined it by using the supercharged 4.2 out of the Jag S-type R (from 06 on)
01' A4 1.8t / 2.7t - sold.
98' A4 1.8t - sold.
01' ML55 - sold.
Militant-Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:10 AM   #5
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: Kinda...
I have never heard anything GOOD from RR. Mostly horror stories overall. A co-worker had a supercharged one (I think an '08 RR sport w/390 hp it was about $70k), but it was slow and always had to borrow my truck when she needed to do anything (because it could hold less cargo than a Porsche). Like go to Costco, Home Depot etc. As an SUV it was totally worthless, I cannot fathom the purpose to the brands existence outside of crossing Africa or the Congo...

2015 S550 Anthracite blue/silk, nicely loaded...
2013 SL63 black...
2014 GL350 Diamond White, loaded...
emilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: Several MB's
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilner View Post
I have never heard anything GOOD from RR. Mostly horror stories overall. A co-worker had a supercharged one (I think an '08 RR sport w/390 hp it was about $70k), but it was slow and always had to borrow my truck when she needed to do anything (because it could hold less cargo than a Porsche). Like go to Costco, Home Depot etc. As an SUV it was totally worthless, I cannot fathom the purpose to the brands existence outside of crossing Africa or the Congo...
"because it could hold less cargo than a Porsche). " Your co worker must be a rocket scientist. What kind of Porsche? There is cargo space in them ; not like a suburban but more than a Porsche. Maybe my experience with them or experience from people who own them is unusual. My daughter (RR supercharged sport) and my son in law (RR HSE) both own them and have had zero problems with them. Maybe they are lucky but their experience has been flawless.

I have a few AMG Kompressor cars and have had very good luck with them contrary to what others have reported. It is the luck of the draw in some cases and proper of maintenance that keeps any car more reliable.

On the other hand I went over to the dark side and purchased a couple of Lexus - what a disappointment but when you talk to Lexus fanatics they are the best cars ever made. In many cases the quality of the car is in the eyes of the beholder.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3 ZCP
I had a 2006 RRS s/c and loved it. Overall, it had far less issues than my C32 in the same time period.

I ended up lemoning it but it wasn't for anything major... a nuisance rattling sound from the suspension that ended up being corrected a month after i returned it. Would I buy another one?
Old 08-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #8

Drives: 1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
Stay away.

07 RR HSE. Nightmare. I had purchased one at the same time my co worker did and we both had problems. For 6 months I had "Air suspension fault - inactive" displayed and no dealership knew how to fix it. They would just reset the code and it would come back days later. Luckily I didnt have it as bad as my co worker who had to have the front brake rotors replaced after they cracked.

way2evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #9
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: One with 4 wheels
Oh god, not this again.....

I swear we get a "Want to switch to an RR and/or RR/S" once a month.

We told our dear friend Benz-O-Rama, bless his soul, NOT to get one, but he still made the epic trip to Texas to pick it up.

So without further ado:

In regards to the RR and/or RR/S, they're not at all reliable, and from what I've read, electrical issues, blah blah blah.........you name it. In short, don't bother with one, it's a nightmare.

With that said, when are you going to pick yours up?

And is it me, or should we have an entire forum dedicated to:

"Thinking of switching to RR and/or RR/S"

way2evil: Give it up man. Nothing you say will make RR and/or RR/S hopefuls from NOT buying one. We must be the only 2 souls in this dear forum that thinks that Range Rover can go stuff it, and everyone is better off with a G55 AMG instead.

Good night.

Last edited by TA-9FF; 08-01-2010 at 07:37 PM.
TA-9FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #10

Drives: 1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
Buying a range rover is like a rite of passage. Everyone must experience if for themselves. When I bought mine there were those who warned me and I shrugged it off thinking it couldn't be that bad. Then I experienced it for myself and it was horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA-9FF View Post

We told our dear friend Benz-O-Rama, bless his soul, NOT to get one, but he still made the epic trip to Texas to pick it up.

So without further ado:

In regards to the RR and/or RR/S, they're not at all reliable, and from what I've read, electrical issues, blah blah blah.........you name it. In short, don't bother with one, it's a nightmare.

With that said, when are you going to pick yours up?

And is it me, or should we have an entire forum dedicated to:

"Thinking of switching to RR and/or RR/S"

way2evil: Give it up man. Nothing you say will make RR and/or RR/S hopefuls from NOT buying one. We must be the only 2 souls in this dear forum that thinks that Range Rover can go stuff it, and everyone is better off with a G55 AMG instead.

Good night.

way2evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #11
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by way2evil View Post
Buying a range rover is like a rite of passage. Everyone must experience if for themselves. When I bought mine there were those who warned me and I shrugged it off thinking it couldn't be that bad. Then I experienced it for myself and it was horrible.
lol.....I guess for those people wanting to go through that sort of nightmare, I say godspeed...........
Old 08-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #12
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: John Deere
Quote:

No kidding. Had the same thought.
Air Marshall Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #13
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: 2006 E55 BEAST
Quote:
. We must be the only 2 souls in this dear forum that thinks that Range Rover can go stuff it, and everyone is better off with a G55 AMG instead.

Good night.
I'm with you guys

When you drive a Hammer, all other cars begin to look like nails.

AMG is the only Higher Power I believe in; If I ever have doubts, all I need to do is put my foot down to prove it.
W211 BEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:33 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Inf4life Send a message via MSN to Inf4life Send a message via Yahoo to Inf4life
I've decided against it. I'm more than likely getting an M6. Thanks for the input though.
15% Tint
6000k McCulloch HID HL's
MB Gun Owners Club #50
Old 08-02-2010, 02:43 AM   #15
MBWorld Fanatic!

An M6 was an option and you were considering a RR?

AMG is the only Higher Power I believe in; If I ever have doubts, all I need to do is put my foot down to prove it.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by W211 BEAST View Post
An M6 was an option and you were considering a RR?

No it wasn't. I just happened to search for them and found one for the same price as the Range I was looking at and it was a no brainer at that point. It wasn't like I was on the fence between a Range and an M6.
15% Tint
6000k McCulloch HID HL's
MB Gun Owners Club #50
Old 08-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #17
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: Kinda...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inf4life View Post
No it wasn't. I just happened to search for them and found one for the same price as the Range I was looking at and it was a no brainer at that point. It wasn't like I was on the fence between a Range and an M6.
Or you could get a 90's Ferrari...

2015 S550 Anthracite blue/silk, nicely loaded...
2013 SL63 black...
2014 GL350 Diamond White, loaded...
emilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #18

Drives: I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
or a loaded Prius
rockjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #19
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilner View Post
Or you could get a 90's Ferrari...
355 F1 Berlinetta is the only worthy 90's contender! But then again, I hear one could get a 456 for a relative "bargain", since it was the odd sheep of the family.

Though realistically speaking, Ferrari ownership is probably 3 times worse than Ranger ownership.

Those maintenance/repair costs will bury most people!
Old 08-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #20
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quote:
Though realistically speaking, Ferrari ownership is probably 3 times worse than Ranger ownership.
Maybe so, but at least you'd properly enjoy the time you have with the Ferrari.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #21
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: Eurocharged Stage (1) 2004 E500, Eurocharged/Speedriven ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Our 2007 full sized/supercharged has been nothing short of brilliant during our short ownership so far. Bought it sight unseen, save for a youtube clip, flew to Houston, and drove it 1600 miles back to Maryland. Since then, we've put another couple thousand on her and we're packing her up for our long haul down to Disney on Friday. We looked at the Sports and hated them. They look good enough on the outside, but the inside can't hold the full size's jock. The RRS was built on the LR3 platform, and is very cheap inside. Now, the new model year RRS looks much better inside, but was a bit outside our price range. We wanted to stay around 50 grand.

I did a lot of research before buying. My research showed that the 2003-2006 were bad. Like....Mercedes W220 bad. The 2007+ got better electronics and a refreshed interior and the Jag engine. Some people may cringe at that last point, but it's a time tested engine not unlike the M113 MB engine. It is long in the tooth though, and the new engine is supposedly light years ahead of mine.

The truck is thirsty. My wife averages 16mpg in mixed driving. We did get a solid 20MPG on our 1600 mile trek though. And that was at speeds well exceeding the limit and many miles in triple digits. What can I say? Those long, straight, desolate, Texas and Arkansas roads just egged me on.

Anyway, there were many people here that tried to steer me clear, and their warnings may still prove to be true. But so far, it's hard for me not to recommend the full size/supercharged Rover. It's gorgeous on the outside, even prettier on the inside and trumps her R500 in every way possible, minus seating for 6.

2010 CTS 3.6 SportWagon
2004 E500 - Eurocharged ECU, VRP headers and E55 exhaust
2005 SL600 - Eurocharged ECU/Speedriven TCU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb1g_f_gBA0

Benz-O-Rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:24 AM   #22

Drives: I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
I tried talking my wife into the r500-she didn't like the reviews on the awd system or the rear suspension. Golf coach has a rrsc and he loves his-really likes my x5- he's trying to talk his wife into one of those now-
rockjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:57 AM   #23
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Drives: '13 BMW 535i M Sport / Ex M-B's: '11 & '10 & '06 E350's, '02 S500
What DOESN'T trump the baR500-Bag?

I'm not an much of an SUV fan (I'd love one as a second car/beat-around though, just not so much my primary), but if I did get one, the RR would be at the top of my list. I was considering looking into one this recent car buying shindig, but the main thing that held me back was that whole current gen seems to be due for a full replacement soon, considering it's almost entering a decade in production. That's not to say RR's are not timeless though, as they are, but I never fell in love with the current one enough to take the chance of getting it, and having the new one drop a year or two later.

Ordered: 2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign.

Ex M-B's: 11/10/06 E350 "Sport", 02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 08-03-2010 at 05:04 AM.
K-A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #24
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG, 2011 BMW X5///M
we've had an HSE for a family car . . .it is horror unless you have deep pockets.
jsc12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #25
Out Of Control!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inf4life View Post
I've decided against it. I'm more than likely getting an M6. Thanks for the input though.
Make sure you get on which still has the free maint, we're talking about oil top ups every 2 weeks

You're going to be really happy you picked the M6 over the RR, Benz-O-Rama's input is the only positive thing I've ever heard *ever* on RR reliability
Old 08-03-2010, 02:02 PM

Tags
2004, fault, forum, forums, light, mans, maryland, o2, overheated, poor, range, red, rover, sens, sport, suspension