After Market Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 MB S550
After Market Warranty

Hello MB Community,

I am new to the MB world. Just purchased a 2008 MB S550 with 50,008 miles on the clock and wanted to know from you guys what after market warranty you guys are using.

I have called around to a few different extended warranty companies, and a lot of them don't cover the state of WA for some reason.

Would love to get some input on some after market warranties this community is using and if the experience has been good or bad. Thank you
Old 04-02-2016, 02:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E550 coupe
Was it a CPO? Possibly not if it is a 2008. If it is, the Mercedes Extended Limited Warranty is worth looking into. There's a forum here that has a list of contacts to get good deals.

If it currently has no kind of warranty then you may have difficulty getting coverage, and if you do, it is likely to be expensive. Also, you may find that the coverage excludes items that will actually fail. Your best bet might be to have a "rainy day car fund" - let's say a 2 year warranty is $3500 (that's what I was quoted by my dealer for the 2-year MB ELW), that's $145/month. Set that aside and I bet you'd be in good shape.

Finally, find a good independent. If you're in Bellevue, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Mercedes Centrum. Russell is honest, fair and knows what he's doing.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
In the Market
Congratulations on the purchase. As far as the warranty decision, when I bought my SLK a few months ago, I asked myself two questions:

1. What is the cost of the warranty and what does it cover?

2. Based on the age/mileage/condition/service history/PPI of the vehicle and typical owner experience and trouble spots, how much would I expect to spend repairing items covered by the warranty over the life of the warranty? This second part calls for some assumptions to be made regarding the probabilities of items needing repair/replacement, but search is your friend for those.

Short answer: research what's likely to go wrong and weigh that likelihood against the cost of the warranty.

In the end, I declined the warranty for my SLK. I was quoted over $4K for a three year warranty on the car (43K miles, third owner, car was new in 2006, MB CPO in 2009, and always maintained by the MB dealership). Based on my experience with my CLK55, which I've owned for five years and the last 60K of its 125K miles, repairs that would have been covered under warranty have totaled less than $2K in five years and 60K miles. Consequently, I figured I'd be better off hanging on to the money and assuming the risk that something might go wrong.

That said, the S-Class is the MB technological flagship, so there might be more systems and technology to fail compared to the CLK and SLK class cars. I'm assuming you had a thorough PPI completed prior to buying; were there any issues noted?

I'd also agree with the advice to find a good independent mechanic; thankfully, there are a number of them in the area. Besides Mercedes Centrum, Adam Takayoshi at Mercedes Garage came highly recommended and has been working on my cars for over five years now.