Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Dyno tach readings on CL600?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 02:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
SL65 AMG
Dyno tach readings on CL600?

Had my CL600 on a Dynojet earlier today and the tech could not figure out how or where to tap for inductive pickup for the tachometer readings.

Tried the wires on the driver side that lead into the ignition coil as Renntech recommended on over the phone, but with no luck.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
-V
Old 06-20-2005, 11:12 PM

SL65 AMG
Fellas c'mon... All you guys that posted dyno graphs, any of you have CL's? It's not a simple one I know, 'cause even those that did dyno their cars probably didn't connect the cables themselves. But if you know, cool.

Thanks,
-V
Old 06-21-2005, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32AMG
Originally Posted by Vendetta
Had my CL600 on a Dynojet earlier today and the tech could not figure out how or where to tap for inductive pickup for the tachometer readings.

Tried the wires on the driver side that lead into the ignition coil as Renntech recommended on over the phone, but with no luck.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
-V
Attach the inductive pickup to #1 plug lead.

You might want to have the dyno operator RTFM....

"The Dynojet Dynamometer is equipped with two inductive pickups, a primary and a secondary. The primary pickup has a smaller clip on the end which will only accept a signal wire on the primary side of the coil. The other pickup is known as the secondary. It has a larger diameter clip on the end and should be used around a spark plug wire. The secondary wire should be used ONLY when the primary signal wire is not easily accessible. "

Last edited by Steve Clark; 06-21-2005 at 01:10 AM.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:45 AM

SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by Steve Clark
Attach the inductive pickup to #1 plug lead.

You might want to have the dyno operator RTFM....

"The Dynojet Dynamometer is equipped with two inductive pickups, a primary and a secondary. The primary pickup has a smaller clip on the end which will only accept a signal wire on the primary side of the coil. The other pickup is known as the secondary. It has a larger diameter clip on the end and should be used around a spark plug wire. The secondary wire should be used ONLY when the primary signal wire is not easily accessible. "
Heh... Yeah, Mustangs? No problem. 'Vette's? No problem. But a CL600 who's engine alone buys two of those other cars? Problem.

The guy didn't want to go messing with the plug covers and frankly, I'd rather he didn't 'cause I'd hate to get rung up for assault with a deadly weapon as a result if he broke them.

The plugs are all in line underneath the long black shrouds on either side of the engine behind the coil packs, right? Incidently, a tech at Renntech told the guy to tap the grey wire with the green lead leading to the coil pack on the driver's side.

Thanks Steve,
-V

Last edited by Vendetta; 06-21-2005 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL000
????

Why did you want DYNO reading in a first place?
Old 06-22-2005, 12:31 AM

SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by TheV12pwr
Why did you want DYNO reading in a first place?
'Cause there's a group buy going on for the Renntech ECU upgrade for '00 - '02 CL600s and I'd like to have reference numbers before I send out the ECU to compare to those I get afterwards.

There's a thread if you're interested: https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-w215/108907-renntech-group-purchase-00-02-cl600.html

-V