Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Kleemann Transmission Control Upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E500 Estate
Kleemann Transmission Control Upgrades

Stock slushbox leaving much to be desired?

We at GMP now offer Kleemann's Transmission Control Unit upgrades, which revise the factory programming to make it shift quicker, handle more torque, and put the power to the ground more effectively.

Programs are available for most 5-speed auto equipped cars, and the unit itself must be sent to Kleemann for modification. But to make it easy for you, we will send you the shipping label once your order is placed.

So all you have to do is remove the TCU (contact us for instructions), package it up, place the printed label on the box, and drop it off for transport. We take care of arranging the shipping, placing the order, and making sure the TCU gets back to you with its new binary goodness within.

Click here to place an order!

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Last edited by GMP Performance; 06-10-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 Sport
Expected gains from claim of "shift quicker, handle more torque, and put the power to the ground more effectively."?? A link directly to Kleeman would be sufficient. Thx
Old 06-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E500 Estate
Originally Posted by timeskew
Expected gains from claim of "shift quicker, handle more torque, and put the power to the ground more effectively."?? A link directly to Kleeman would be sufficient. Thx
Link: Power Upgrades @ Kleemann

The specific gains vary from car to car, depending on the engine characterisitics and the factory settings. For example, a CL600 is going to benefit differently from this than a CLK55 AMG.

For example, your E320 would receive improvements in mainly in shift speed and shift points. Their programmer is able to make it shift faster (more like an AMG car), and the shift points will also be more aggressive. It will hold gears longer, it will down shift more aggressively while on the brakes, and it will rev higher before shifting at small to medium throttle angles.

Kleemann can also remove the load limitations, however, a stock E320 doesn't suffer from load-limits being active, unless it has at least a supercharger on it. And they can program for different differential gear ratio's as well, but this is not really necessary on the E320, as its ratio is already pretty well matched.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:30 AM

E320 Sport
Stephen,
Thanks for the link and the post. Your information is exactly dead on, which is unexpected but welcome.

My 3.2 liters are never going to fly, but I'd like improvement in 2 areas:
1) the adaptive shifting, i.e. the learned behavior of our transmissions that results in 'granny mode'. Does your (Kleeman's) TCU upgrade disable adaptive behaviors, change them, enhance them, etc.??
2) Do you keep both Sport/Comfort modes, do you program differently for both or are the changes 'across the board'? I'd like to keep a base mode and a very enhanced mode, but with quicker shifts for both.

Alot of questions, I know. If you'd like to talk more I'll PM my email, or answer here for the benefit of everyone. Thx
Old 06-28-2009, 02:45 AM

AMG C43, 1999
Will the TCU upgrade work for a 1998 AMG C43. I have heard the TCU on this car has a one time only programalbe chip. So to put another prgram in you need to replace the chip.

Would it be possible to take out the chip and soldier in a socket that could accept a newer multi-programmable chip?

Thanks, Jeff
Old 06-28-2009, 03:23 AM

E320 Sport
Anyone that has done this upgrade please feel free to chime in, here. Seems like either no one is interested or everyone else knows all about it.

Anybody have this done?
Old 07-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E500 Estate
Originally Posted by timeskew
Stephen,
Thanks for the link and the post. Your information is exactly dead on, which is unexpected but welcome.

My 3.2 liters are never going to fly, but I'd like improvement in 2 areas:
1) the adaptive shifting, i.e. the learned behavior of our transmissions that results in 'granny mode'. Does your (Kleeman's) TCU upgrade disable adaptive behaviors, change them, enhance them, etc.??
2) Do you keep both Sport/Comfort modes, do you program differently for both or are the changes 'across the board'? I'd like to keep a base mode and a very enhanced mode, but with quicker shifts for both.

Alot of questions, I know. If you'd like to talk more I'll PM my email, or answer here for the benefit of everyone. Thx
Kleemann's TCU programming does not disable the adaptive shifting. It does make shifting in sport mode more aggressive, but comfort mode stays the same.

Originally Posted by speedybenz
Will the TCU upgrade work for a 1998 AMG C43. I have heard the TCU on this car has a one time only programalbe chip. So to put another prgram in you need to replace the chip.

Would it be possible to take out the chip and soldier in a socket that could accept a newer multi-programmable chip?

Thanks, Jeff
Unfortunately not. You are correct in saying the TCU in your C43 is not reprogammable, and Kleemann does not offer a different socket/chip. Sorry...
Old 07-02-2009, 01:22 AM

Crossfire srt6
I was thinking of working a high stall converter im my AMG32 powered crossfire srt but learned from other owners that without having the torque managment settings on tcu changed you dont see the desired changed in track times. Would this service allow me to take advantage of a high stall converter?
Old 07-02-2009, 10:45 AM
aty

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 GLC 43
Hi Stephen,

I'm very interested in this but my CLK 500 has the 7-speed auto. Is this upgrade available for my car?

Thanks,
Al
Old 07-05-2009, 03:33 AM

E320 Sport
Originally Posted by GMP - Stephen
Kleemann's TCU programming does not disable the adaptive shifting. It does make shifting in sport mode more aggressive, but comfort mode stays the same.
Sounds good!!

I would still like to hear from anyone that has had this done... How big of an improvement did you feel?
Old 07-08-2009, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 Carrera4
This by far is the best news I’ve seen when it comes to transmission upgrades. But the concern is will there be any physical or Software differences that will be detected by dealers? Last thing one would want to do is mess with 5 thousand dollar equipment and void warranty.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
86 190E 2.3-16v, 92 500E, 03 CL55 AMG, 08 E3504M Brabus
Whoa wait a second there. Your saying this TCU upgrade is available to any and all 5 spd MB transmissions? What about 4Matic?

Originally Posted by GMP - Stephen
Link: Power Upgrades @ Kleemann

The specific gains vary from car to car, depending on the engine characterisitics and the factory settings. For example, a CL600 is going to benefit differently from this than a CLK55 AMG.

For example, your E320 would receive improvements in mainly in shift speed and shift points. Their programmer is able to make it shift faster (more like an AMG car), and the shift points will also be more aggressive. It will hold gears longer, it will down shift more aggressively while on the brakes, and it will rev higher before shifting at small to medium throttle angles.

Kleemann can also remove the load limitations, however, a stock E320 doesn't suffer from load-limits being active, unless it has at least a supercharger on it. And they can program for different differential gear ratio's as well, but this is not really necessary on the E320, as its ratio is already pretty well matched.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E500 Estate
Originally Posted by AMGTestDriverNJ
Whoa wait a second there. Your saying this TCU upgrade is available to any and all 5 spd MB transmissions? What about 4Matic?
The EGS programming is available for any vehicle fitted with the touch-shift 5-speed gear box- generally 2001 and newer, 4Matic included. The only W5A transmissions we cannot program are in early W210, W208 and C43's which use what is called "EGS51". MB has used only 3 different variants to date- EGS51, which is very early, non programmable, EGS52, which is 100% programmable and EGS53 (only on 2009+ bi-turbo cars), which unfortunately is not programmable. The control unit version is printed on the top right corner of the sticker that's on the EGS controller. Location of the controller varies by chassis.

Originally Posted by malahhaor
This by far is the best news I’ve seen when it comes to transmission upgrades. But the concern is will there be any physical or Software differences that will be detected by dealers? Last thing one would want to do is mess with 5 thousand dollar equipment and void warranty.
No, the programming Kleemann does is invisible to the dealer. FYI- the transmission controller (EGS) is only $900.00, brand new from a dealer.

Originally Posted by atyclk5
Hi Stephen,

I'm very interested in this but my CLK 500 has the 7-speed auto. Is this upgrade available for my car?

Thanks,
Al
No, unfortunately Kleemann is unable to program the 7-speeds at this time. We will certainly post up if this situation changes in the future.

Originally Posted by ProjectMayhem
I was thinking of working a high stall converter im my AMG32 powered crossfire srt but learned from other owners that without having the torque managment settings on tcu changed you dont see the desired changed in track times. Would this service allow me to take advantage of a high stall converter?
No, Kleemann's programmers do not alter the maps for different torque converters, as they have never developed a map specifically for this. The car would need to be sent to Denmark to develop a file like this.

Any other questions?
Old 07-17-2009, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
86 190E 2.3-16v, 92 500E, 03 CL55 AMG, 08 E3504M Brabus
I had mine string coded thru SDS to paddle shift. Shouldn't have any trouble then right? Whats it cost?
Old 07-18-2009, 01:18 PM

2004 S600
had the kleeman ecu and tcu tuning and all i can say is out standing and in every real sense as scary as can be.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:16 PM

AMG C43, 1999
Has anyone tried to take out an EGS51 controller and replace it with a EGS52 controller?

Jeff
Old 07-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E500 Estate
Originally Posted by AMGTestDriverNJ
I had mine string coded thru SDS to paddle shift. Shouldn't have any trouble then right? Whats it cost?
Shouldn't be. Price can be found here: http://www.gmpperformance.com/index....ail&PID=205621

Originally Posted by scarybary
had the kleeman ecu and tcu tuning and all i can say is out standing and in every real sense as scary as can be.
Yeah, it really works nicely with the upgraded ECU, doesn't it?

Originally Posted by speedybenz
Has anyone tried to take out an EGS51 controller and replace it with a EGS52 controller?

Jeff
If it was that easy, Kleemann would be selling it as a conversion, trust me.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:44 AM

Supercharged CLK W209 V8 55 AMG Kompressor
Question 722.636 AMG re-program

Hi,

I convert my CLK 240 V6 2003 tiptronic, with V8 55 AMG Kompressor engine and 722.636 AMG speedshift transmission.
ECU is programmed well with right ration 2.85, but i do nothing to my TCU which is EGS52, I just reset it with DAS.
1- Should I re-program my TCU with AMG software ?
2- What's the best practice to do it?
3- Can I keep the same TCU hardware and program it with AMG/Kleemann tuned file?

Hearing from U.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E500 Estate
Originally Posted by kanzus1
Hi,

I convert my CLK 240 V6 2003 tiptronic, with V8 55 AMG Kompressor engine and 722.636 AMG speedshift transmission.
ECU is programmed well with right ration 2.85, but i do nothing to my TCU which is EGS52, I just reset it with DAS.
1- Should I re-program my TCU with AMG software ?
2- What's the best practice to do it?
3- Can I keep the same TCU hardware and program it with AMG/Kleemann tuned file?

Hearing from U.
Kleemann should have no problem reprogramming the EGS52 for you. You will need to contact their International Sales department. PM sent...
Old 08-24-2009, 01:46 AM

2001 ML55 AMG (Silver)
I have a 2001 ML55 AMG. Does Kleenman offer a TCU upgrade for mine as well? Im pretty sure they offer an ECU upgrade but Id like to know hte price of both and what kind of hp gains to expect.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E500 Estate
Originally Posted by big dogger
I have a 2001 ML55 AMG. Does Kleenman offer a TCU upgrade for mine as well? Im pretty sure they offer an ECU upgrade but Id like to know hte price of both and what kind of hp gains to expect.
Kleemann can program the EGS52 TCU software to raise the load limitations, hold gears longer, and downshift a bit more aggressively, but it's not going to be a big help unless you're running signficantly more power than stock (ie aftermarket supercharger, which is also available, BTW )

As far as the ECU goes, you're looking at 15 hp and 15 tq gains, as well as top speed limiter removal and throttle response improvement.

We don't post our prices in forum threads in case they change, but here are links to the products on our site:

Kleemann TCU Upgrade

Kleemann ECU Upgrade

Kleemann M113 Supercharger

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Old 09-19-2009, 01:15 PM

C230 Kompressor
where could i get that pricing in california?
Old 10-05-2009, 10:56 PM

2005 sl55 amg
how much faster would my sl55 amg be compared to a stock sl55 amg if i purchased this
Old 10-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E500 Estate
Originally Posted by dskompress24
where could i get that pricing in california?
We ship all over the country, so we'd be glad to offer you the pricing and arrange the shipping for whatever you need done with Kleemann.

Originally Posted by AMGETR
how much faster would my sl55 amg be compared to a stock sl55 amg if i purchased this
The benefits are less for the AMG cars, as they already have upgraded programming from the factory. Kleemann's programming does remove the load limitations on the SL55, which is beneficial for cars making gobs more power than stock, but for a car that is otherwise unmodified the gains are going to be negligible, to be honest.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:25 PM

2005 sl55 amg
thank you for the honest answer

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Kleemann Transmission Control Upgrades