Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Warning: Speedtuning USA Bad Experience Not Resolved

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 E300 OM606.962
Warning: Speedtuning USA Bad Experience Not Resolved

I'm a bit of a diesel fan and recently crossed over from the VW TDi world and purchased a 98 E300 Turbodiesel. Bought it from the original owner in excellent condition.

I had good luck with chip and flash tunes on my VW's, so I jumped right into a chip tune for my E300 through Speedtuning USA.

Once I installed my ECU returned from Oliver at Speedtune, I experienced a rough idle anytime in N or Drive and a stutter upon rev-down from about 1200 RPM back down to idle under all conditions.

It turns out that MBZ had a factory countermeasure to this complaint years ago, and it included an ECU swap. Oliver had noticed that I had a 99 model year ECU in my 98, and now after speaking to a service writer at Caliber Motors and after reading the following link, I knew the reason why. The ECU I had sent to Oliver had the updated part number to correct the rough idle customer complaints. Follow the link to see a short article in STAR magazine by Stu Ritter:

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/645/shake8xb.jpg

Suspecting that the new tune from Speedtune did not incorporate this update, I wrote to Oliver about this software updating and my cars history of having it done. His response was that he could tune out the rough idle by increasing fuel quantity settings, but that he would have to charge for a "custom" tune, an additional $200 on top of the $325 I had already paid.

My response to this was to request my ECU be returned to the previous, stock program. I didn't feel that the additional fee to have my car run satisfactorily was fair and I was much more interested in having my E300 run as nicely as it looked rather than having the extra 30HP or so at this point.

So with his verbal agreement to return the ECU to me by the time I returned from a two week trip, I shipped the it back off to Speedtuning. Days later I received a full refund through Paypal. So what is my complaint, right?

Well, now they are holding my ECU until I send them (like AMGAlex's experience with them) a payment of $375 in cash, money order or Western Union. Craigslist and Ebay have warnings not to do business with companies seeking payment like this. This request came from Jennifer (the owner) after they had tendered a refund through Paypal.

One more bit of context: Oliver relayed a story to me that he had a customer with a 99 E300 experiencing the exact same idle issue. The customer had the direction of a MBZ dealer that he would need the updated ECU (the one I have) to solve his problem. For whatever reason, probably cost (Caliber Motors in Anaheim wants $2300 for one and won't sell it over-the-counter) this customer of Oliver's tried the same Stage 2 tune I purchased from Speedtuning and it did not resolve his idle issue, according to Oliver.

Even having had that experience and mine, Oliver and Jennifer, AFTER having refunded the full amount told me their tune IS based on the updated software to address the idle and now I would have to pay them $375 for them to release my ECU that is now put back to the way it was before.

This is not acceptable to me, to have to pay more than originally, or frankly to have to pay at all, for services that I have rejected for good reason.

My E300 has been immobile in my garage for nearly a month now, and I have the counsel of an attorney who suggested I tell my story on internet forums. Everything I've stated here is in print on emails between Speedtuning USA and I.

I will continue to update the forum on my progress, if any, from Speedtuning USA.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 clk 55
Originally Posted by dieselndust
I'm a bit of a diesel fan and recently crossed over from the VW TDi world and purchased a 98 E300 Turbodiesel. Bought it from the original owner in excellent condition.

I had good luck with chip and flash tunes on my VW's, so I jumped right into a chip tune for my E300 through Speedtuning USA.

Once I installed my ECU returned from Oliver at Speedtune, I experienced a rough idle anytime in N or Drive and a stutter upon rev-down from about 1200 RPM back down to idle under all conditions.

It turns out that MBZ had a factory countermeasure to this complaint years ago, and it included an ECU swap. Oliver had noticed that I had a 99 model year ECU in my 98, and now after speaking to a service writer at Caliber Motors and after reading the following link, I knew the reason why. The ECU I had sent to Oliver had the updated part number to correct the rough idle customer complaints. Follow the link to see a short article in STAR magazine by Stu Ritter:

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/645/shake8xb.jpg

Suspecting that the new tune from Speedtune did not incorporate this update, I wrote to Oliver about this software updating and my cars history of having it done. His response was that he could tune out the rough idle by increasing fuel quantity settings, but that he would have to charge for a "custom" tune, an additional $200 on top of the $325 I had already paid.

My response to this was to request my ECU be returned to the previous, stock program. I didn't feel that the additional fee to have my car run satisfactorily was fair and I was much more interested in having my E300 run as nicely as it looked rather than having the extra 30HP or so at this point.

So with his verbal agreement to return the ECU to me by the time I returned from a two week trip, I shipped the it back off to Speedtuning. Days later I received a full refund through Paypal. So what is my complaint, right?

Well, now they are holding my ECU until I send them (like AMGAlex's experience with them) a payment of $375 in cash, money order or Western Union. Craigslist and Ebay have warnings not to do business with companies seeking payment like this. This request came from Jennifer (the owner) after they had tendered a refund through Paypal.

One more bit of context: Oliver relayed a story to me that he had a customer with a 99 E300 experiencing the exact same idle issue. The customer had the direction of a MBZ dealer that he would need the updated ECU (the one I have) to solve his problem. For whatever reason, probably cost (Caliber Motors in Anaheim wants $2300 for one and won't sell it over-the-counter) this customer of Oliver's tried the same Stage 2 tune I purchased from Speedtuning and it did not resolve his idle issue, according to Oliver.

Even having had that experience and mine, Oliver and Jennifer, AFTER having refunded the full amount told me their tune IS based on the updated software to address the idle and now I would have to pay them $375 for them to release my ECU that is now put back to the way it was before.

This is not acceptable to me, to have to pay more than originally, or frankly to have to pay at all, for services that I have rejected for good reason.

My E300 has been immobile in my garage for nearly a month now, and I have the counsel of an attorney who suggested I tell my story on internet forums. Everything I've stated here is in print on emails between Speedtuning USA and I.

I will continue to update the forum on my progress, if any, from Speedtuning USA.
wow,pretty shady. ive read some other bad things about them. hope u get ur issue resolved.u should go with eurocharged,thats who i went with
Old 02-24-2012, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
00 e55
www.speedtuningusa.com ARE COMPLETE SCUM BAGS

sorry to hear your having these guys extort money form you just like they did to me
www.speedtuningusa.com ARE COMPLETE SCUM BAGS

Oliver seems like he is the only guy working there and his so called Manager Jenifer

AVOID THEM LIKE A PlAGUE

lets spread the word out for these scum bags

here is my thread about them https://mbworld.org/forums/performan...ngusa-com.html

here is another thread about them form Volvo forums http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...-speed-tuning/

and another thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...highlight=true

and another https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...mages-ecu.html

Last edited by amgalex; 02-24-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
oh wow im about the send them to tune my ECU. Looks like i have to find somewhere else sheeesh...
Old 02-24-2012, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 Carrera4
just another proof, you get what you pay for. This is just horible.
Lucky for me i know a guy who is a benz tech and i would have just asked him to reset the ecu after i got the money back from speed tuning.
I though of using them a coule years ago. good thing i desided on eurocharged.

Good luck. post where ever you can. Euro teknik is also a good place to post these things
Old 02-24-2012, 04:08 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
oh wow im about the send them to tune my ECU. Looks like i have to find somewhere else sheeesh...
we can help ya out with that!

Originally Posted by malahhaor
just another proof, you get what you pay for. This is just horible.
Lucky for me i know a guy who is a benz tech and i would have just asked him to reset the ecu after i got the money back from speed tuning.
I though of using them a coule years ago. good thing i desided on eurocharged.

Good luck. post where ever you can. Euro teknik is also a good place to post these things
Old 02-26-2012, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Euro Cars Only
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
Eurocharged my friend
Old 10-17-2014, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 E300
Add me to this list.....

Kind of in a bit of an interesting bind here: Pulled my DME out on Tues to send off to Oliver at SpeedTuningUSA for their Stage 2 flash with EGR kill. They got my DME the next day, flashed it, and sent it back. I got it back today, and popped it back into the car.

Immediately, I had CHECK ENGINE and ASR/ BAS lights illuminated. I called Oliver up, and he said that I probably had a bad connection on one of the ASR/ ABS module plugs, so I checked those 2 or 3 times, and still had the issue.

I then ran down to my friend's shop in town, and had them hook up the STAR computer and figure out what was really going on. They pulled a "CAN communication with the engine system is faulty. The coding of the series or engine type is incorrect" error.

I got Oliver on the phone with the tech there, and those two had a chat, and then I had a little chat with Oliver. Apparently, when he flashed my DME, he wiped all the coding data from it. There's no way for the tech to re-code the module to the car.

Oliver is out until next Tuesday apparently, so he said just get him the DME back to him on Tuesday and he will re-flash it back to stock, and hopefully that puts all the coding back in, and then we'd see where we were at.

Nevermind the headache and downtime with the car, but now I'm going to be out an additional $150 in FedEx charges for this thing to make another round trip to SpeedTuning, and I'm also out the minimal (they spent way more than 30 min on this) $75 that I got charged to diagnose this today.

As I understand it, if the worst outcome possible here plays out, I'll need a new DME, at around $1000, and to have it coded to the car.

Do I have any options at this point other than a new DME, or hoping that Oliver doesn't hold my DME hostage if I send it back to him?