Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Maintenance vs. New Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300
Maintenance vs. New Car

I have a 2008 C300 Sport. I have been driving it for 3 years, and it is still beautiful. I am at a point where i need new tires and brakes. Also, I need to repair a broken housing on the front passenger turn signal. I am estimating the maintenance and repairs at $1,500, but I don't have a hard quote yet.

Would you do the repairs, or use that money towards a down payment and trade in?

-MCP
Old 09-29-2014, 06:31 PM

S65 AMG
It depends on many variables one being which new car do you want to get. The new C Class starts at $40K and goes up fast from there.

Tires and brakes are normal wear items, the broken light housing should be a minor item as well. Your estimate of the work is probably accurate.

Logic would say, change these items and keep the car since it is the best financial decision. However, there is nothing better than new car smell, so if you have the bug to get a new car then go for it.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts
s320
New cars are the worse investment to make.Take my car for example,I had new engine installed in my S Class,no payments,and no electrical gadgets to break down.All ready bugs are out of car.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:34 PM

S65 AMG
Originally Posted by oldsinner111
New cars are the worse investment to make.Take my car for example,I had new engine installed in my S Class,no payments,and no electrical gadgets to break down.All ready bugs are out of car.
You are right, new cars are not an investment at all with major depreciation in the first 2 years. They are a depreciating asset thus not an investment at all.