Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

OM617 injection pump timing

Old 12-27-2014, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 300SD
OM617 injection pump timing

I know this is big in the Cummins world, but has anybody experimented with advancing ignition timing on stock OM617 engines?

My '84 300SD has 94,500 miles, new cone air filter, EGR deleted, ALDA maxed out, stock KKK turbo, Monark nozzles. The car doesn't "roll coal" unless cold or WOT from dead stop after warm up. That indicates to me it's running pretty efficiently already. Or ALDA isn't maxed and the adj. screw is simply stuck. No matter, screw is cracked and not going anywhere. Curious if any significant gains can be made with this technique and my current setup.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 300SD
power, dammit!

The more research I do, the more I'm realizing you need Mark Cuban's pocketbook to make more than 148hp/220lb-ft with this engine.

Also, no rebuild kits exist for the KKK turbo. That correct? Guess I'm boned.

Primary weak link, in the opinion of many, is the head. I know making power with GM IDIs is very difficult, most chock it up to the inherent design of indirect-injection. Supposedly, the flow characteristics of the OM617 head aren't great. This is just what I read, I'm no engineer. So, anybody want to tackle CAD/CAM-ing a new head design? Eh? EH?! "Say 'what' again! I dare ya, I double dare ya!"

Until that new head comes out

I'm seriously considering a Duramax. I want power, dammit!