Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Changing to paddle shift steering wheel??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 01:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E550
Changing to paddle shift steering wheel??

I have a 2008 E550. My mechanic talked me out of the E55 since I live in the Northeast. Good choice. The two things that I had to give up by this choice are the paddle shift and the dynamic seats. I wondering if I can change to a paddle shift wheel? The tranny has the slap stick version/option so I'm thinking it should work? Has anyone tried this?
Sorry if this has been beaten to death but I entered the keywords and found nothing.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:42 AM

E550
Is my question that stupid that no one has any answer? My wood keeps cracking so it has to go
Old 02-25-2016, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 913 Likes on 601 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
No one has answered because probably no one has made the change of wheels. My impression of the paddle shifters, and thoughts from other owners I know, is that they are pretty useless and no one I know, including myself, bothers using them. The on board computer system sets limits on the rpm ranges you can shift so in effect you are not really choosing when to shift. It's like having your Mother in the car telling you when it is ok to shift up or down. If the rpm's had no limits I could see the fun of paddle shifting but as it is the restrictions take the fun out of the process and the car is really in control. Also, on really winding curves, it's tough to use the paddles when the steering wheel is spinning in circles when you need to shift. I personally have more fun using the auto stick shift at that point. Good luck in your quest. I hope you eventually find your information.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:20 PM

E550
Thanks Utopia. What I really want to know is if the steering wheels are compatible. I have a beautiful wood/leather wheel but the wood is getting cracked. I want the wheel with the leather thumb rests etc. Don't really care if the paddles work or not. I just can't get a definitive answer what fits a 2008 E550. Most wheels that I find used always say 2006 and earlier. What changed in 2007 and 2008?
Old 04-14-2016, 01:32 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
2013 CLS63, 2001 ML430, 2012 e350 coupe
what changed was there were no e55 is 07 they were e63's . i believe it will mount up but thats why its not saying those years because an 07 e55 doesnt exist
Old 09-13-2016, 01:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 S65 AMG
I can adapt ANY wheel and ANY set of paddles to your car. I seem to be the only one out there who has figured out how to do so. The problem lies with the +&- shift switches. They are not a mechanical contact type. They are optical readers. I have paddles in my own car too and W220 S500 never was even an option. Works and looks perfect. Way more fun than the floor shift.....if you want yours done, I'm in Las Vegas.