Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Spider imode or racechip for the Bluetec?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 Bluetec
Spider imode or racechip for the Bluetec?

So, this is my first post here on mbworld.

I've been doing some digging on an appropriate tuning module for my recently purchased E350 Bluetec.

Loving the car and I've gotten familiar with some specific maintenance attention these cars require and staying on top of it.

Now I have narrowed down to 2 options for a tuning chip. I am really interested in the "Spider" chip from the UK and they seem to have a long succesful history however I haven't seen any write ups for the Bluetec specifically. Has anyone used this module?

http://www.dieseltuning.co.uk/shop/i...product_id=191

The second one is a Racechip module that seems to have been well discussed and with positive reviews.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 01-16-2017, 01:56 PM

2013 E350 Bluetec
Really? No one has ever heard of spider?
Old 01-16-2017, 02:17 PM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Wow, give people a chance before jumping up and down.

Most people get their cars remapped for optimal performance rather than fitting a tuning box which has limited ability to change parameters. Effectively being the fuel rail pressure and the boost cut off.

Looking at the claims of the Spider against recognised chip tuning companies such as DTUK I don't believe their claim as to where they will get it to. Even experienced full remapping companies don't reach those levels.

So whilst not having used them, I would be very suspect of their claims. They certainly aren't a talked about company in the UK.

I would look more at DTUK where the support model and guarantees have been more robustly proven if you are going to box route.

http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/...211-ps-bluetec

Better still, get a proper remap.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:35 PM

2013 E350 Bluetec
My apologies if it came across that way, no jumping up and down going on here!

I like the idea of being able to remove the module and everything is back to stock quite easily.

I tried to find where I originally found out about the Spider module but havent been able to. I did come across this site where a guy was selling a used one 4 years ago:

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...d.php?t=115879

I guess at this point I just want to find someone who has used the one for an E350 Bluetec.

I looked up their address on google maps and another company came up called DTS chiptuning. Maybe they have more then 1 company name selling different chips? Who knows.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:00 PM

Look at the DTUK ones as they are used by a fair number of people and cover a lot of brands and are active on many forums supporting their users answering questions etc.

Very few problems seem to be coming up with them.

It doesn't look like this Spider is well represented, appears to make unrealistic power claims and does not have an easily identifiable support mechanism. One to avoid personally.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:59 PM

2013 E350 Bluetec
I will look into dtuk. I'm hoping they have Bluetooth to be controlled by an app like spider.

Thanks for your help.

Dan
Old 01-18-2017, 09:15 PM

2013 E350 Bluetec
I just came across a new one from Germany called tunercenter... www.tunercenter.at

they have locations in germany and austria. Looks to be fairly new. They have some even higher HP and TQ gains than spyder...
Old 01-19-2017, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dan989
I will look into dtuk. I'm hoping they have Bluetooth to be controlled by an app like spider.

Thanks for your help.

Dan
To control what other than useless gimmicks? If you think you will continuously be changing modes then forget it, you won't, it will be fun for a few days, then you will just set it in the one mode and leave it.

If you want to be able to read live information then look at an ODBII reader and app like torque (Android) or Dash Command (iPhone).

Last edited by 400ixl; 01-19-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:10 AM

2013 E350 Bluetec
You are absolutely correct! I don't deny that one bit. But the convenience of being able to toggle from inside the car should a problem come up is a good feature.

Thanks for the tip with the ​Obd2 and torque, I have that installed and running already.

I've decided on going with the ​​​​racechip pro2 as there seems to be positive reviews about results, customer service and gains. I would go otherwise for dtuk but the gains are not quite as much and the price is nearly double.

Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:23 AM

GLE AMG 43
Dan989, Did you end up getting a Racechip? Was curious about your experience in both gains and ease of use? Thanks.