Folding@Home - Help Find A Cure For Cancer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Folding@Home - Help Find A Cure For Cancer

Top of the morning to everyone!

There is this program by Stanford University that you can run on your computer which can aid in finding cures for cancer, alzheimers, parkinsons, huntingtons, and a number of others as well.

It's really simple to get started.

Download the correct client from here.
The Windows 5.03 version if you're running Windows (shortcut here).
The MacOSX SMP one if you have a Intel Mac (shortcut here).

Once you install it, enter in whatever username you want (I use vraa) and the team number (45431 for mbworld.org)

It literally takes about 2 minutes from the start of this thread to the end of install and you're already contributing to the effort.

The way it works in a nutshell is every few days it downloads a "workunit" from Stanford, processes it and then uploads the results. It's really compact and it runs in the background, I run it on all my computers and all the computers at the office I work at.

Go ahead and ask questions if you have them, I've been contributing to this project for more than five years. It has the support of many big name companies such as Intel and Microsoft as well as support from other well-known universities such as Oxford and Berkeley.

Tell your friends and family too, it's for a great cause.

If you want to see how much you've contributed to the effort, you can check here
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...php?s=&t=45431

As you can see, team mbworld.org is doing relatively well, but we could always use more help.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Well just a small status update with what is going on.

Clublexus, another car enthusiast forum is fully on-board and competing with us. Although we outrank them by a fair margin, they are catching up quite quickly

We just recently broke into the 400 ranks. As of now we're ranked 491 and expected to be 415 in 30 days. That is out of 27633 teams!

In the last month, the Stanford folks have released a client for Windows computers with multiple processors and also a client for computers with multiple GPUs.

An even bigger announcement is that Sony has come on board with the project by allowing users to run Folding@Home on their PS3's with the latest firmware update!

Thanks to a few members and their PS3's on our team, we've really skyrocketed on the team ranks and the entire project continues to grow. There are now a little less than 250,000 computers that are actively engaged in the project (meaning in the last week they've delivered results).

So if you haven't started it yet, go on and download the client here.
http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html

Come on board and show your Mercedes enthusiasm pride and help make a difference at the same time!