R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

DIY ipod integration R350?

Old 01-07-2010, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R KLASSE
DIY ipod integration R350?

I thought all +'08 Mercedes-Benz products had at least the AUX port in the glove box? Our '08 P1 R350 has a cap where the AUX is suppose to be, looks like it was never installed. Our '08 C300 Sport obviously cost about $13-15K less than an R from the same vintage and it has this feature what gives? Has anyone installed this part on their own and if so how hard was it to remove the radio and such. Dealer wants $700+ for the ipod integration kit + additional labor to install. I don't necessarily need the full blown integration, just the AUX port in the glove box at the very least. Any help greatly appreciated in advance.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:00 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
Originally Posted by R KLASSE
I thought all +'08 Mercedes-Benz products had at least the AUX port in the glove box? Our '08 P1 R350 has a cap where the AUX is suppose to be, looks like it was never installed. Our '08 C300 Sport obviously cost about $13-15K less than an R from the same vintage and it has this feature what gives? Has anyone installed this part on their own and if so how hard was it to remove the radio and such. Dealer wants $700+ for the ipod integration kit + additional labor to install. I don't necessarily need the full blown integration, just the AUX port in the glove box at the very least. Any help greatly appreciated in advance.

My 08 has AUX as standard on the right side of glove compartment and Ipod cable to connect Ipod (part of Ipod kit).
Old 01-08-2010, 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
My old $30k MSRP 02' C230K had features like auto dimming mirrors and memory seats but had a tape deck standard. Our '06 R350 MSRP'd probably twice as much but lacks auto dimming mirrors and memory seats. There's no making sense of MB options/standard features.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:58 PM

W203-4M W163
Originally Posted by avlis
My old $30k MSRP 02' C230K had features like auto dimming mirrors and memory seats but had a tape deck standard. Our '06 R350 MSRP'd probably twice as much but lacks auto dimming mirrors and memory seats. There's no making sense of MB options/standard features.
Agreed--I've been confused by MBs lack of foresight on this. iPod jacks should have been standard by 2003.

I found some great info on here about DIY iPod connections for my ML. I successfully got the iPod 1/8 inch jack installed in under 20 minutes and under $20. I'm sure there is a way to do that with the R as well. I think the real questions are:

Do you want to see the tunes displayed?
Do you want to be able to flip through tracks with your steering wheel controls?
Do you need to have the disc changer as well as the iPod? (or would the iPod be enough?)

If yes to all of these, you'll need to spend some money. If not, you certainly should be able to do what I did--put an 1/8 jack into your glove compartment and connect it to your iPod. Details on how to do this with ML and C class are on here, so do some searching. PM me and I can send you the instructions I used for the ML.

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:46 PM

R KLASSE
Originally Posted by FraKctured
Agreed--I've been confused by MBs lack of foresight on this. iPod jacks should have been standard by 2003.

I found some great info on here about DIY iPod connections for my ML. I successfully got the iPod 1/8 inch jack installed in under 20 minutes and under $20. I'm sure there is a way to do that with the R as well. I think the real questions are:

Do you want to see the tunes displayed?
Do you want to be able to flip through tracks with your steering wheel controls?
Do you need to have the disc changer as well as the iPod? (or would the iPod be enough?)

If yes to all of these, you'll need to spend some money. If not, you certainly should be able to do what I did--put an 1/8 jack into your glove compartment and connect it to your iPod. Details on how to do this with ML and C class are on here, so do some searching. PM me and I can send you the instructions I used for the ML.

Good luck!
After reading through most of the text-book thick owners manual I was to learn MBZ thought it was a good idea to eliminate the AUX jack in the glove box if you have an R with the rear entertainment DVD set/up
It specifically says in the owners manual that the rear Entertainment system uses the factory AUX port that would otherwise be the 1/8 adapter found in the glove box on most other MBZ products. This is frustrating because my wife & I don't use CD's, we like our Serious radio but don't love it and use our ipods 99% of the time. Hopefully I can come up with a viable near OEM solution, an aftermarket radio is not an option and uneceptible.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:01 AM

2007 R350 4Matic, black interrieor, P1, P2, bluetooth, factory installed dula screens , backseat cen
Hi

I would like to do the same with my 2007 R350.
If you please could send me the instructions on how to do this
to hludwig@me.com

Thank You
Herbert
Old 11-30-2010, 05:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
X166, 997
very easy to do

I think the kit is $175 at the dealer. I swear I found instructions on this back when i got my car in 2007 to do this from this site...it use to have pictures of the R-climate control, guess them removed to put the newer ones on there...

http://www.mercupgrades.com/IPOD+Ret...rticle-35.html

Last edited by davidbho; 11-30-2010 at 05:29 PM.