DVD player issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 R500, 07 A8L
DVD player issue

i have 07 R500.

the dvd player powers up and everything but it keeps reading 'invalid format' for every DVD i put in. it kind of started doing it a while back but still played certain DVDs. but now, it says 'invalid dvd format' for every one. i'm not sure if this can be repaired or i need a new one.

i was wondering where i can buy a replacement and what it costs.

any input is greatly appreciated. planning a road trip in about a month and hate to go without it. (7 and 8 year olds)

p.s. i took apart the rear DVD area yesterday and it looks like just the player can be replaced(basic unplug the old one and plug the new one).
Old 05-07-2012, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
I don't have any expertise of the issue but it sounds like it might be a problem with the region selection on the player itself. Did you just have some repair work done that required resetting of any of the electronics? Perhaps ask the dealer/ your independent shop about the issue.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:31 AM

GL550
DVD playing only some discs

Did you ever get an answer to your problem? I would like to know as I am having the same exact issue.
Thanks
Old 03-02-2015, 10:27 AM

07 R500, 07 A8L
Originally Posted by maricopa404
Did you ever get an answer to your problem? I would like to know as I am having the same exact issue.
Thanks
well, after much research i kind of gave up on fixing it. dealer basically said it can't be fixed and said that i need a new one. but the cost of putting in a new dvd player was more than $2000, which i didn't think it was worth. they, dealer, even thought it wasn't worth it..

the dealer actually said that based on the year of the car, they use diffrent dvd players made by different manufacturer. so some are cheaper than others. you may want to get an estimate anyways...

so later, i went to some aftermarket places but was told that they can't put in any aftermarket ones into the existing slot.

i just ended up getting a portable dvd player from Target for $120, which worked out just fine for the trip.

overall, i was kind of disappointed at the poor quality of the original dvd player and it cost so much to replace. i just went with Ipad and portable dvd player.

no longer have the R500. traded it in last year. after about 80k miles, it began to have some problems.

hope this helps.