R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Bluetooth Receiver A2DP option for those that use Ipad for rear seat entertainment!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 07:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 Mercedes E320 Wagon
Bluetooth Receiver A2DP option for those that use Ipad for rear seat entertainment!

Just wanted to put this out there for anyone that uses their Ipads for rear seat DVD entertainment be it for adults or kids.

Most of us probably have an aux out in the glove box and run a audio cable to it from our Ipad, but if you're after a wireless solution, there is a way.

For anyone that's been researching this one, there is already several solutions out there based on the following YouTube video

This guys my hero, but he's pretty unresponsive. I have exactly the same 2008 R350 with the Ipod integration cable. I've purchased an ebay A2DP device like the one described in this video here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290709299174...84.m1439.l2649

My particular unit is called Iwave. It didn't work without purchasing an adapter to get it to power on. This is one I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150651862822...84.m1439.l2649

However, the display on my dash would never connect with the Ipad. It would eternally be 'seeking' for the Ipad.

Frustrated, I ended up heading over to Fry's to see if there may be another solution. I ran across this product;

http://aluratek.com/istream-dockfree...audio-receiver

While not as integrated as using the Ipod interface, it is just as effective. Sound is excellent, still uses A2DP bluetooth so very clear signal, and it still allows me to keep my Ipod Nano attached to the interface cable. Btw, I ended up returning the Iwave device, but kept the adapter since my Nano also would not charge without the unit anyway. This way, I can just keep it plugged in all the time.

Anyway, just wanted to throw this out there as an option for those looking for a wireless audio solution for their Ipads/Ipods/Iphones or any bluetooth device they wish to get audio from.

Last edited by aa240sx; 06-01-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02ML320/06R350
where and how did you get power supply of the bluetooth and to your ipad. Very interested. Good job, bro. Let em know, thanks. You mention that you have 2 ipads. Is the 2 ipads connected and plays at the same time when you are watching movies? Tell me how you connected. Thanks again.

Last edited by dewdaltz; 06-04-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: add more inquiry.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:08 PM

2004 Mercedes E320 Wagon
To clarify, the YouTube video is not mine. I came across it when I was trying to figure out how to get a similar setup for my R350.

I only use 1 Ipad, not two.

Also, the aluratek A2DP bluetooth device is self powered with a built in lipo battery which can be charged off any micro usb cable.

I am not using the method used in the youtube video. While that would have been my preference if I had gotten it to work, I actually prefer to run my bluetooth audio through the aux input jack instead.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:29 PM

02ML320/06R350
I might go with this set-up. Did you use the Bluetooth A2DP to 30 pin connector with the Aluratek? or just the Aluratek - hook it up to the AUX and then pair the iphone/ipad to the Aluratek, right.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:31 PM

2004 Mercedes E320 Wagon
'or just the Aluratek - hook it up to the AUX and then pair the iphone/ipad to the Aluratek, right. '

that's exactly what I did for my setup.

Just like others who are using this type of setup though, it can still be a bit cumbersome since you have to pair the devices every time you want to use them. And when you decide to shut off the Ipad or use it for something else, you also have to turn off the aluratek device or risk having it's battery die on you.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:34 PM

02ML320/06R350
Awesome, thanks.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A250 Sports
Hi, thanks for sharing but I think this is way to complicated and expansive. I would like to share my recent purchase which will do the same trick but without all the hassles and the cost is low too.

Recently, I've got an Mercedes/Audi A2DP receiver from ViseeO. It is called Tune2Air WMA1000 which will work with native iPod app on your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad, and also the online music services such as Pandora and Sportify. The unit is designed for the native iPod app on my iphone which will not only stream music but also transfer the whole music library and song titles to your Audi screen, and I can control the music from the steering wheel button or head unit control directly. Then I have tried it on Sportify, the unit still stream music to my Audi but the only downside is the music list which can not be imported like the native iPod app. However, it does work which I think is quite good. The auto reconnection with your phone is also instant which I think is another plus.

Originally Posted by aa240sx
Just wanted to put this out there for anyone that uses their Ipads for rear seat DVD entertainment be it for adults or kids.

Most of us probably have an aux out in the glove box and run a audio cable to it from our Ipad, but if you're after a wireless solution, there is a way.

For anyone that's been researching this one, there is already several solutions out there based on the following YouTube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkOgA...ature=g-user-u

This guys my hero, but he's pretty unresponsive. I have exactly the same 2008 R350 with the Ipod integration cable. I've purchased an ebay A2DP device like the one described in this video here.

My particular unit is called Iwave. It didn't work without purchasing an adapter to get it to power on. This is one I bought:

However, the display on my dash would never connect with the Ipad. It would eternally be 'seeking' for the Ipad.

Frustrated, I ended up heading over to Fry's to see if there may be another solution. I ran across this product;

While not as integrated as using the Ipod interface, it is just as effective. Sound is excellent, still uses A2DP bluetooth so very clear signal, and it still allows me to keep my Ipod Nano attached to the interface cable. Btw, I ended up returning the Iwave device, but kept the adapter since my Nano also would not charge without the unit anyway. This way, I can just keep it plugged in all the time.

Anyway, just wanted to throw this out there as an option for those looking for a wireless audio solution for their Ipads/Ipods/Iphones or any bluetooth device they wish to get audio from.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:09 PM

R350 | X1 | Cayenne
Originally Posted by aa240sx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkOgA...ature=g-user-u

Thanks for sharing. I saw that Youtube video also. Like you, I tried it myself and wasn't successful either.

I didn't realize that there are Bluetooth devices like this that is self powered. I've shied away from the other Bluetooth audio transmitters because of their needing external power that needs to be plugged to your cigarette lighter adaptor.

Nice find. Thanks again.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:14 PM

R350 | X1 | Cayenne
Originally Posted by williamhop102
Hi, thanks for sharing but I think this is way to complicated and expansive. I would like to share my recent purchase which will do the same trick but without all the hassles and the cost is low too.

Recently, I've got an Mercedes/Audi A2DP receiver from ViseeO. It is called Tune2Air WMA1000 which will work with native iPod app on your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad, and also the online music services such as Pandora and Sportify. The unit is designed for the native iPod app on my iphone which will not only stream music but also transfer the whole music library and song titles to your Audi screen, and I can control the music from the steering wheel button or head unit control directly. Then I have tried it on Sportify, the unit still stream music to my Audi but the only downside is the music list which can not be imported like the native iPod app. However, it does work which I think is quite good. The auto reconnection with your phone is also instant which I think is another plus.

The Aluratek device is $29.99. How is that more expensive than the Viseeo?
However, thanks a lot for posting this. The viseeo product appears to be a better solution - but definitely more expensive than Aluratek's.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 PM

A250 Sports
Yes, it is a little more expansive then the conventional A2DP adptors out there but ViseeO's tune2air supports music list and song title which is much more advanced than these basic A2DP adaptor and I can control the device from the head unit control buttons. I think it is worthy to pay little extra money for a known brand with more functionality.

Originally Posted by BallJack
The Aluratek device is $29.99. How is that more expensive than the Viseeo?
However, thanks a lot for posting this. The viseeo product appears to be a better solution - but definitely more expensive than Aluratek's.