R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Rear wheel bearing replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 MB R350
Rear wheel bearing replacement?

I need to replace the rear passenger wheel bearing on my R350. I heard some clanking sounds and feeling vibrations while driving slow in traffic the other day, when I got home I lifted the passenger side rear up and the wheel had enough play that at first I thought maybe the lug bolts had came loose. But by the noise and feeling it was making the bearing is totally shot. Has anyone done this job before? Im reading that it has to be pressed in to the hub, but I'm not reading much more then that... im looking for some more details. Im wondering how hard is it to remove the hub from the spindle, and any info on special tools, torques would be great. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2020, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
Anyone know of any tutorials on rear wheel bearing replacement for 2008 R350 with 4matic and rear only air suspension? Thanks
Old 05-15-2020, 11:24 AM

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
R320, Astro, JSW, ST4
Maybe worth getting a WIS or alldatadiy subscription, they aren't terribly expensive.

You could search the ML (164) threads, they are similar enough that most things would apply. The only things that make it any different than other cars are the air bags and multi-link suspension.
Which means:
- You'll need to heed warnings/caveats about lowering the bag/control arm, and how to safely load it back up after extending it so far.
- The rear suspension has a knuckle carrying the bearing, which I'm assuming has to come out for pressing the bearing in and out.

There are screw-type presses which can get bearings in and out with suspension mostly intact on car, I have one.
But I don't know if it's doable on this setup, because of clearances.
Here is video for 2007-2008 E-class: