R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Steering Column Lock

Old 06-03-2014, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R500 + SLK55 AMG
Steering Column Lock

Hey everyone. My R500 was hit in a parking lot fender bender while it was parked with no one in it. Minor sheet metal damage on the driver's side front quarter panel. But the impact also skewed the front wheels such that it had to be realigned and the steering wheel reset to center.

The body shop gave it back to me but the steering wheel now spins (doesn't lock) when the ignition is turned off and the key is removed. I'm positive the thing used to have a mechanical lock like every car I've ever owned.

The body shop insisted on having it repaired by an indy shop even though I told them to take it to my Mercedes dealer which is only a mile away from the body shop. The indy mechanic called me this morning and told me the R Class has no mechanical steering column lock. He said Mercedes never included it in the design.

My 2006 SLK55 AMG with the same transmission and a very similar wheel / steering column setup has the mechanical locking device. I'm not believing this guy.

So, a favor please, would one of you go jump in the driver's seat of your R Class and try to give the steering wheel a twist with the car off. Can you turn the wheel? Or does a lock indeed click into place to prevent it from turning?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited by Spud_Racer; 06-03-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
My 07 R63 doesn't have a steering column lock. (I can spin the steering wheel with ignition off). I did, however, buy the car used. But I'm not sure if it ever had one. Basically, I don't think you're being "had" here.

I was surprised to find out the R doesn't have a steering lock as all my previous MBs have had it- guess it's just one of those cost cutting measures.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R500 + SLK55 AMG
Thanks greatly for putting my mind at ease. I also finally got through to my service rep at the Mercedes dealer. He pulled a tech into his office and the tech confirmed that none of the R Class Mercedes have a physical lock for the steering column. He basically said that any of the 7G-Tronic cars with a column mounted electronic shift lever do not have the lock because the electronics are the anti-theft measure that disables the transmission. So, R and G at a minimum. I must be losing my memory / mind.

Odd too that my SLK55 AMG has shift paddles and a traditional center mounted lever that is also purely electronic in operation but still retains the mechanical lock as well. Ah well, I just drive em. I don't design em.

thanks again for the quick response.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
No problem Spud_Racer.

eh- I only buy the tech's explanation 50% of the time- simply because they're also not the ones that design the car. They're only trained to work on them. hehe